Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lords of Kobol-give us a white out please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I suppose March 1st could of looked worse..........

Rtavn1501.png

:v: :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at the radar there appears to be a heavy band of rain or sleet just off the east coast and stretching into the Belfast area and its heading towards louth, meath, dublin, kildare, wicklow etc... temperatures have falling here and the rains getting heavier and starting to turn a wee bit sleety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A shame the low pressure forecast is so far south:rolleyes: Ah well, many parts should see something;) As for me, I haven't even seen a flake of snow this week. Apart for about 1 minute at 1 pm yesterday there was no hail either. Just cold rain:mad:
    Even at home at about 475 feet there is not a hint of snow.

Next week still looks good though I fear that the cold will be too far east for something very significant though considering the luck we've had it's not all that bad. Any more organised precipitation though might drag in warm air and fall as rain, before and/or after any snow. This happened on Christmas Day 2004 here.

Temp has dropped to 3.8c and its become very inlement outside
    freezing cold with lashing icy rain:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Temp above 4C, DP just shy of 3C
    Light rain

• Advertisement

Moderate rain temps down to 2.7c

Interesting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Finally, there is a sleety nature in the rather heavy rain we have at the moment. Even the Friday after Christmas had better sleet though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

2.8c now, high was 5.4c today.

Sleet at first today, then rain, now sleet again...

About 5mm has fallen I reckon, pity it was not snow... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Constant icy rain.....then mist.....and now rain since 1pm today here, jeez and its so darn cold out!! :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Heavy sleet in Ballymount around 1pm today which quickly turned to rain, as already mentioned, if only it had been snow all day!

• Advertisement

So how are we looking for the next few days? The UK folk seem to be getting excited but what about us poor unfortunates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What are the snowlines in metres on the Wicklow Mtns at the moment, anyone further south and west with snow lines to report???

Snow was falling at the gate of Croghan Mt this morning but not settling-thats a 1000ft Asl or 330 metres roughly( the mt peak is further up at 2000ft).
    There was a wet dusting at the top of the wood about a mile beyond that gate which would be roughly 1600ft and some nice twisty flakes falling
    Muggins got out of there fast as the chances of the gate being locked on the way down did not appeal to me.It was mostly rain a half mile down the road at maybe 800ft and all rain with icy bits below that.
    The temp and dewpoint has remained roughly the same here all day, so I'd imagine theres some slushy stuff at the top of that wood now.

A proper expedition up there next week on wenesday or so and I'll bring the camera.
    It's only 5 miles away and it's like a different planet :)

As for next week,I wouldnt be as optimistic as WC, but certainly theres a good chance of a polar low of three delivering a covering.
    From the model output Wenesday and Thursday look like the more interesting days and both have a slight NE flow to the northerly which would blow in to the East coast whatever the Irish sea has to offer.

Dew point is rising now at 2.5c so that búggers snow for tonight even on the high ground I'd say.

Not too far out in the Irish sea off Dublin the M2 buoy is reporting a DP of 6c and a temp of 7c
    So I'd say with the air coming from there, its not going to be cold tonight at all.

Temp rising quickly during past half hour and is now max of day and nearly 6C with DP now falling from 4C to 3C. Rain has just stopped, total 7.4mm.

Still raining here,though we've had a lot less than you mothman, it was very light mostly and indeed dry for a lot of the day.

Temp now 4.9c dewpoint 3.5c

So some of that Irish sea high temp,high DP air is taking effect.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=EIME

The above is based on the 12z for casement and aint too inspiring in terms of surface temps.
    The only good values are for wenesday/thursday and indeed the wind is never progged to be NE when the northerly proper comes.
    Mostly dry here I'd say bar a polar low or three according to that or a system but borderline even at that.

This really is and will continue to be the mother of all disappointments :( Oh, Lords of Kobol, why do you tease us so? :v:

Temp steady at 6.6C, DP up to near 5C

It was always supposed to get milder tonight as the warm sector
    pushes through.

This has been no disappointed for me since Monday or Sunday i knew
    Thursday would likely be rain.

Im still going for snow from tomorrow 2pm :D;)

Upper temps for Midnight

Rtavn062.png

Upper temps for tomorrow 11am

Rtavn182.png

Precip

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn184.png

;)

• Advertisement

It was always supposed to get milder tonight as the warm sector
    pushes through.

This has been no disappointed for me since Monday or Sunday i knew
    Thursday would likely be rain.

Im still going for snow from tomorrow 2pm :D;)

Even to low levels???

Borderline risk of Heavy snow in the east on Monday night

http://217.160.75.104/pics/Rtavn1021.html
    http://217.160.75.104/pics/Rtavn10217.html
    http://217.160.75.104/pics/Rtavn1024.html

Compared to today this has a much better chance of coming off:)

Temps of around 1-2c with much colder air pumping in behind.
    Infact its only risky situation because the system creates a milder
    plume of air although guidance suggest this will be insignifigant and
    places a better odds for snow to fall than rain

Felixdhc wrote:
    Even to low levels???

Yes as the day progresses watch the rain turn to sleet and snow for
    a couple of hours...

Now the outlook really is outstounging and so consistent:D

Rtavn1321.html

Just please let it happen this time!!! Due to drive to Letterkenny on Tuesday, think I'll scrap that till the following week :) God this rollercoaster has been heavy going all winter, hopefully its pay off time over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The heaviest of the rain seems to have passed, or at least eased off now, and whats falling now (although lightly) is the closest to snow I've seen all day, half decent looking sleet :D .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement