Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed : Eircom router not syncing after 11pm

• 23-02-2006 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Here is an odd one. Every night after 11pm I loose my connection to the web. Going by the routers logs it's every 9 minutes the router fails to sync, and this goes on until about 1 am. It will come back up by itself usually a minute after it goes down, quicker if you reset.

The router is the standard issue Eircom/Netopia wifi-g router connected wirelessly to PC. I sent a broadband support request to eircom who put me through all the usual trouble shooting, and here is what I know :

1. In the last 10 days the router looses sync every night at 11pm till about 1am, and it happens every 9 minutes or so.

2. Just before it goes down I have consistently monitored the noise on the line (via the routers homepage) and the line attenuation sudden increases from 26db to 48db about 30 seconds before the router goes down. The connection speed reported by the router drops from 3072 to 1827. This I know is not responsible for no sync, but obviously the attenuation increases further so that DSL cannot sync.

3. We only have 1 telephone line (main master socket). Plugged into that is the router and the telephone via a dual ADSL filter. I have of course tried a different filter, the router by itself etc... We don't have a monitored alarm.

4. The only other interesting piece of info is that for some reason the sky guy about a year ago hard wired the sky box into the master telephone socket (so it's sharing the same terminals as the main telephone line), probably because he was too lazy to get a double adaptor. I thought this was the cause, and know Eircom say everything must have a dsl filter for everything plugged into the line but broadband has never given trouble till now, and it's strange it's always after 11pm at night ? Plus I checked the connections too on the socket and it's fine. Even unplugged the sky box (even though I know by still having the wire connected to the telephone socket there is still some impedence). Unfortunately I can't really rewire the sky box at this stage as I don't have a crimpers to attach the RJ11.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Maybe the skybox is trying to dial out- you may need to rewire?

http://www.satcure.co.uk/digifaq2.htm
    What is the purpose of the telephone connection?

The telephone connection is NOT essential. The Digibox will work perfectly well without it.
    The telephone connection allows the Digibox to dial out. Whenever possible, this will usually happen during the night and it will not interrupt an ongoing call but will wait until the line is free. The duration of the call will be just a few seconds for booking a movie. If you use the shopping, banking or Internet facilities then the call can last as long as it takes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Disconnect everything from the phoneline. Remove the Sky phone line completely from the rear of the master socket. If, as you say, it's been a year since Sky was installed you don't need the box connected to the phone line as you're outside contract. Connect the modem directly into the phone socket without a filter. See what happens at 11pm tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Sounds like the problems ive been having.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893987

Advertisement