Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st time insurer - 17 year old

Options
  • 23-02-2006 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Ok so the time is coming to the big 1 7 when i can finally drive. I am planning in starting as soon as I hit 17 or well as soon as i can in a few months.

I was thinking, instead of saving up a couple of grand to buy a starting off S**T box, Why not just get insured on my mothers 06 1.4 Leon. I was wondering what the possibilities of this are and how easy/hard it is to get insured and what it will cost me ?

Reasons why I choose this over buying my own s**t box, 1) I will not be driving places that will require my own car for a year or two till i get a bit more experience and money to get something better and 2) I don't want to be driving around crap and be worrying about it breaking down etc.

So whats the pros/cons of getting insured on my mothers 1.4 Leon ? And how possible is it, if it is possible.

Thanks alot,

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will be cheaper for starters, you won't have to buy a car and then insure yourself on it, you'll just have to insure yourself on your mums car.

it can be done.

i started driving when i was 18 (now 19 with full license) and joined my mum's insurance on a 04 golf (mark V).

she paid 400 at the start of the year for the preminum and then i joined half way through the year and they wanted another 600.

this year it's 1300 in total, reason i'm saying this is i'm insured with FBD and tbh i rang every place trying to get insurance and these were the cheapest.

so the pro's of getting insured on your mum's car:

- cheaper, as you don't have to buy a piece of crap and then insure that on your own for like twice what the car is worth.

- much nicer to learn in a new car, than a hunk of junk.

now to the con's:

- you cannot drive when you want where you want. (with me it's my mum's car first (obiviously) then if she's not using it then i can).

- your mother will probably insist you have a qualified driver with you at all times (like my mum did) and tbh she will be totally right we don't need more accidents on our roads.

so first things first...

if you haven't already go apply for the theory test and then your provisional.
    once you've got these both, ring around and get insured.

once this is done, no matter what experience you got in a car, apply for your driving test, i done this and it took a year (plenty of time to learn) and when the test came up i passed.

anyways good luck and happy motoring.

P.S one piece of advice i got from my driving instructor was - and it seems to have stuck with me - is "driving is not so much how you drive but how you react to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could get on your mother's insurance as a named driver. At 17 this will still be expensive but a cheaper option than trying to get insurance on your own car. It totally depends on your mother's insurance company. Best thing to do is ring them and ask them how much it will cost. The downside of this is that if you have an accident while driving and it was your fault then your mother's No Claims Bonus is affected. That means her premium will rise accordingly the following year.

This sounds like the best option for you though for at least two or three years, if you can get this then get as much practice at driving as possible and apply for your driving test. Alot of insurance companies will give some sort of discount for having xx number of years experience as a named driver on a family member's policy.

At 17, male and on a provisional licence you will probably find it impossible to get a quote or at least a realistic quote for a car of your own no matter what type of car it is. Your quote would be assessed on what damage you could do rather than what you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Thanks a mill guys. Lots of positive feedback, Ill probably end up doing that so. Thanks for all the advice on getting started.

Another question, I know it can vary... But what is the maximum you's think it will cost me to get insured on her car with her and what would I be doing well to get it for ? Just to get an Idea ...

Thanks,

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when i was 17 i got a quote from quinn direct (wasn't driving at the time) and the quote was for the same car (04 golf mark v) and it was €3,500 for my mum and me and as named driver.

must say though that this will vary hugely between insurance companies as they assess risks in different ways.

suffice to say i waited another year, and then went with fbd as i didn't have that much cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is impossible to tell to be honest as insurance companies calculate their premiums using different criteria. There is no consistancy between insurance companies imo. Any guess made here could be totally off the mark. Only your mother's insurance company can give you this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

HungryJoey wrote:
    Why not just get insured on my mothers 06 1.4 Leon.

Your looking on getting insured on the old model Leon I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The only problem with this is that when you go to get your own insurance policy you will have to start from scratch. So any no claims bonas that you had while on your mothers insurance will be nullified. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hal1 wrote:
    The only problem with this is that when you go to get your own insurance policy you will have to start from scratch. So any no claims bonas that you had while on your mothers insurance will be nullified. :o

Not necessarily. Some insurers will give credit for years as a named driver as an ex gratia starting off ncb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

a 17 year old named driver, driving a 2006 (brand new) seat leon.
    No no claims, 1st provisional, im saying just under 4 grand...

When I was named driver at 17, I was quoted 9,800 on a Pug 306 XND 1.9 Diesel. Then eventually got quote on a 1.4 Ibiza at 18 of 4,200.. as named.

Now I've my own policy, and 21 this year, have 1 years no claims, and 2nd provisional (yeah yeah, no excuses..), it's come down dramaticly to 2,150.

And as a bonus, being a Quinn Direct customer, they're legally obliged to quote on ANY car, whatever engine I would like (considering I've already bought the car that I havn't already asked to quote on -- and there quotes are cheap)

Example quote: 1986 AE86 Corolla GT Coupe [Britton - 9,600euro]
    Quinn Direct: Above car, existing customer [2,450]

Same with a a BMW E36 320 4dr -- Insurance companys work in funny ways, but have any problems and ask to speak to there supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Got a quote of €1481 for me and the mother on her 03 focus (1.4). From FBD. Heard alot of good things about them around the school, they seem to be the best. I'm the same as you 17, no experience to speak of. AXA wanted 1500 on top of what my mother was already paying.

Fill out an online quote thingy www.fbd.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Not necessarily. Some insurers will give credit for years as a named driver as an ex gratia starting off ncb.

That would be correct HiB gave me a 50% NCB making my insurance an inherently affordable €1k comp (€200 less 3rd party) on an 03 Focus 1.8 TDCI 115 (23/M). Quinn wouldnt entertain a quote except on a 1.4 focus, while FBD were €500 more despite being a named driver for the past 6 years with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Bluetonic wrote:
    Your looking on getting insured on the old model Leon I presume?

Yes, But its an 06 car. Full spec 16" wheels, AC.. They usual nice spec.

Thanks for tips guys. I will keep my eye out and be thinking what to do. Nice to know I amn't the only person in this position ;)

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I also have a 50% NCB at 24 years of age because of Hibernian counting claims free named driving years...Although two years of that are in my own name.

Advertisement