Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logo Design - Tips?

Options
  • 23-02-2006 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey guys, I am trying to design a logo for my site and i am totally unsure of what to do for it!! I am ok at photoshop and i have designed some before... i want to be able to use the logo on posters, flyers etc.

The main colors for the website are maroon (dark red), white and shale (or dark gray) and its focused totally on Dundalk.

I have tried some very basic logos... see below but i don't know where to take these.. any help/inspiration would be greatly appreciated!

dol1.jpgdol2.jpg

as i said... very basic, only to give an idea of the colour scheme etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'm no expert,clearly. I've learned some things though (Some 'the hard way',others through common sense) & more aimed at the technical aspects :

- It should be clear what the logo represents
    - It should be kept simple
    - It should also work/be recognisable in black&white
    - It must work at both large and small sizes - For this reason specifically, I'd suggest Vectors rather than Bitmap (Illustrator may be a good move)

- Specifically, you'll want to be careful re: legibility when it comes to your chosen colours. Keep in mind that a lot of people are colourblind o rhave poor eyesight - contrast is essential. [There are programs and websites that will show you how an image looks to visually impaired people. But for now: change the mode to Greyscale in Photoshop for the above images to get a rough idea how they work without colour.]

That aside: I quite like the one on the left. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

thanks for your help, karoma.. i had a look at them in grayscale and they are still recognisable and legible. Any other tips/inspiration?

i am gonna have a wee looksee at some well known logos and see what they have done...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

decide a few things as well beforehand ... what kinda logo do you want ?

fun ? professional ? wacky ? ...

I'm gonna guess you want something professional for the site ... ? but looking at the current site .. it seems to be a mix of fun / indy ... meets professional ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

no.. not professional... fun and indie... thats what i am trying to do.... i think... i dunno... HELP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

i just designed a logo for something and you are far better off designing the thing in Illustrator than Photoshop if you are going to be using it in a variety of different sizes etc.

as for design advice just keep it as a simple and clear looking as possible

• Advertisement
Advertisement