Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Johnson- what an absolute GOD!!

• 23-02-2006 5:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Was just at his concert, it was unbelievable! He played for two hours and played all the big ones. He's so good live and you can just tell that he's the coolest guy on the planet. Got right up the front at the pit and saw he was playing in his bare feet. What a hero!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Wow bare feet! it doesn't get much more rock and roll! Yaaa!

Music to go to sleep to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Oh wow, the pit at a Jack Johnson gig must have been mental

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

radioman wrote:
    I'd say they were all crowd surfing like they'd gotten a really cheap rate on the babysitter and wanted the world to know. One can only imagine the sheer decadence at the tailgate parties in the carpark afterwards in the Renault Scenics.

Robbo wrote:
    I'd say they were all crowd surfing like they'd gotten a really cheap rate on the babysitter and wanted the world to know. One can only imagine the sheer decadence at the tailgate parties in the carpark afterwards in the Renault Scenics.

Like Berlin in the 30's you mean?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Would that be the creeping air of fascism or hyperinflation?

• Advertisement

I was thinking more along the line of ambiguous sexuality, and masses of people being fooled by a charismatic but evil public performer.

I'll subscribe to that theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

The only man to match Mr Blunt in the vapidity stakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Radioman wrote:

Yeah you wouldn't believe the moshing, I have several bruises today and two of my friends got kicked out for crowd-surfing. Unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Garret wrote:
    The only man to match Mr Blunt in the vapidity stakes

Come on, he aint nearly that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    Come on, he aint nearly that bad.

That's true, Jack Johnson may be dull but he's far from ball destroyingly awful like Mr Blunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

ah it was a nice chilled out gig. he put on a pretty good show considering that it was in the point.

the guy that was playing the piano and accordian was a legend. nice little covers of white stripes tunes and my girl for all the old people. wouldve prefered to see him in vicar street where i had tickets for. grrrr...

hes a quality musician and hes got a great voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

I prefer the early 1900's boxer...far more interesting tale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not. Interesting. It's safe, it's bland, it's predictable, it's nice.

The singer that is. Not the boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

John2 wrote:
    That's true, Jack Johnson may be dull but he's far from ball destroyingly awful like Mr Blunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Put the two of em...(Jack Johnson and James Blunt) into a blender. I hate the way people throw the word GOD or GENIUS around....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

in my opinion hes a poor singer, a poor songwriter and a poor musician. Im being incredibly polite.

He's part of that horrible new phenomenon - male singer-songwriters that are more even more insipid than Messrs Gray and Rice: the aforementioned Mr Blunt, Daniel Powter and some other guy whose name I can't remember. John something. Boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

New phenomenon? Ah well he's still rubbish.....singin about medows and sunny days grings my goat.

"New" as in more bland than ever. John Mayer. That's the guy's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

His first two albums were very dull affairs, cant say I've listened to his new album but I doubt he's changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jack johnson makes me angry

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I quite like him.He is totally overrated though.John Mayer is not boring!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I think John Mayer is pretty good but it's real "put you to sleep" music. Have him on my iPod but don't listen to him that often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dubwhite

Dudess wrote:
    Not. Interesting. It's safe, it's bland, it's predictable, it's nice.

What does 'safe' mean in a musical context? Who should I listen to for a good example of 'unsafe' music?

Would you be into electronic music, by any chance?

Oh you know exactly what I mean by "safe"! Non-threatening, middle-of-the-road, inoffensive. No, I'm not a techno fan. The term "unsafe" isn't really used when it comes to music. Instead, I'd use the term "interesting". That can mean different things to different people. In my case it would be Nick Cave, Patti Smith, The Velvet Underground, The Smiths etc.

Dudess wrote:
    Oh you know exactly what I mean by "safe"! Non-threatening, middle-of-the-road, inoffensive. No, I'm not a techno fan. The term "unsafe" isn't really used when it comes to music. Instead, I'd use the term "interesting". That can mean different things to different people. In my case it would be Nick Cave, Patti Smith, The Velvet Underground, The Smiths etc.

That's quite a smug attitude to take towards a musician, his music and his fans. If you aren't engaged by his music, don't listen to it. Don't join a Jack Johnson thread just so that you can spout the usual banal platitudes about "inoffensive" music. It's really tired.

Wow! So I can't post my views to a thread?! If I dissed Bon Jovi would you consider me to have a smug attitude towards their fans? It's my opinion and I didn't know criticism wasn't allowed on a public forum. I'm not trying to offend anyone and I don't think people take it personally when someone disagrees with them on how good or bad a musician is.

Dudess wrote:
    Wow! So I can't post my views to a thread?! If I dissed Bon Jovi would you consider me to have a smug attitude towards their fans? It's my opinion and I didn't know criticism wasn't allowed on a public forum. I'm not trying to offend anyone and I don't think people take it personally when someone disagrees with them on how good or bad a musician is.

You can post your opinions wherever you want... as you said, it's a public forum. However, I'd have to question the wisdom of joining a thread entitled "Jack Johnson- what an absolute GOD!!", only to depracate his music (and by extension, his fans).

I wasn't offended by what you said, I am just weary of seeing the same musical bigotry trotted out again and again. And yes, I know you weren't alone.

As for Bon Jovi... I think the same applies to everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

TBH any thread with a title ''Jack Johnson- what an absolute GOD!!'' is only going to get bashed especially since Jack Johnson is nothing but of a run of the mill mainstream pleasing artist.

but if you like then he isn't doing much harm.... unless he's James Bl*nt! :mad:

TBH any thread with a title ''Jack Johnson- what an absolute GOD!!'' is only going to get bashed especially since Jack Johnson is nothing but of a run of the mill mainstream pleasing artist.

but if you like then he isn't doing much harm.... unless he's James Bl*nt! :mad:

His latest album is quite mainstream, but I thought 'On And On' and 'Brushfire Fairytales' were pretty different. That's not my point though.

These "my music is smarter than your music", or "that artist only appeals to musical philistines" comments are just ridiculous, though. :rolleyes:

dubwhite wrote:
    These "my music is smarter than your music", or "that artist only appeals to musical philistines" comments are just ridiculous, though. :rolleyes:
    Wo, easy there. I'm certainly not a musical bigot. If I like a tune, I like a tune - whether it's by Britney Spears, Alien Sex Fiend or even Jack Johnson. I didn't post criticism of him to be a smart-arse despite possibly giving that impression. I just wanted to make the point that there is more interesting music out there and people should explore it. If, however, a person would prefer to stick with Jack Johnson and the like, then cool. I can't stand musical bigots either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Dudess wrote:
    Wo, easy there. I'm certainly not a musical bigot. If I like a tune, I like a tune - whether it's by Britney Spears, Alien Sex Fiend or even Jack Johnson. I didn't post criticism of him to be a smart-arse despite possibly giving that impression. I just wanted to make the point that there is more interesting music out there and people should explore it. If, however, a person would prefer to stick with Jack Johnson and the like, then cool. I can't stand musical bigots either.

Well, apologies if I misinterpreted your post.

I'd certainly agree that Jack Johnson is not a writer of complex music or lyrics, but you also have to remember what kind of background he comes from. 'Write about what you know best', as they say... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Mmmm Jack Johnson...I remember getting into his stuff in Australia and must admit I have all his albums and never listen to any of them unless there are people around.. I think it's pleasant background music..

I've seen him live too and to be honest you might as well have put a cd player on stage (With the exception of teenage girls screaming at him).

If i understand correctly he was a big surfer who liked to play guitar and a music buddy signed him up ? Got to respect the guy though all he does is surf around the world and play tunes while beautiful women drool over him...

Actually now that i think more about him i hate him haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Brother To God

Jack Johnsons music is music for him to steal your girlfriend/boyfriend!
    ever listen to it and think how meaningless it is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

Jack Johnson is beige, he is leather patches of a tweed coat, he is a Toyota Corolla, he is short back and sides, he is a cheese and tomato pizza, he is bland!!!!!

he is trying to hard to be all cool, quiet and mysterious, but he actually sounds like someone who cant sing so whispers

he makes my blood boil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭irishraven

Dudess wrote:
    He's part of that horrible new phenomenon - male singer-songwriters that are more even more insipid than Messrs Gray and Rice: the aforementioned Mr Blunt, Daniel Powter and some other guy whose name I can't remember. John something. Boring!

Seriously, who are you to judge? Each to their own! Matt nathanson, Magnet and joesph arthur all have no talent either eh?

So tell me this, if your a guy, you play an intrument and perform solo, you should just quit now because you are rubbish before you begin hahahahaha:rolleyes:

irishraven wrote:
    Seriously, who are you to judge? Each to their own! Matt nathanson, Magnet and joesph arthur all have no talent either eh?

So tell me this, if your a guy, you play an intrument and perform solo, you should just quit now because you are rubbish before you begin hahahahaha:rolleyes:

If you had taken the time to read the rest of my posts, you would have learned that I'm not the judgmental person you seem so keen to make me out as. And no, if you're a guy, play an instrument and perform solo, that doesn't make you "rubbish before you begin" in my view. I never said that. I find Jack Johnson's music boring. Period. There's nothing wrong with having that opinion. I don't dislike him because he is a solo performer.
    I have a life, thank you. Now why don't you remark on the posts by the other people who hold the same view as me.

Boomer23 wrote:
    Jack Johnson is beige, he is leather patches of a tweed coat, he is a Toyota Corolla, he is short back and sides, he is a cheese and tomato pizza, he is bland!!!!!

he is trying to hard to be all cool, quiet and mysterious, but he actually sounds like someone who cant sing so whispers

he makes my blood boil

I wouldn't say he makes my blood boil, but as for the rest of your post - agreed! Oh no, I've insulted someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

I back-packed around the world 04-05. Jack Johnson was huge among the travellers, from asia, australia to south-america. I'll admit he's got some average tunes. But, jesus, he's got some great god-damn tunes in the mix of them.

You can't deny tunes like "Times like These" and "Good People". C'mon ta' f*ck

• Advertisement
Advertisement