Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Was Your Worst Moment As a Fan?

• 23-02-2006 6:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

As a soccer fan what was the worst moment you remember from your clubs?

As an Arsenal fan, I've had a few over the years, but its hard to pick just one so Im going to name a couple...

Nayim from the Half way line...
    Need I say more, it was a seriously depressing moment, after the 120 mins of playing and the thought of penalties looming, I was sure we would win after the display against Sampdoria. But as Seamen left his line in the thought that the game was near finished, then Nayim lofts the ball in a vain hope of something and scored a goal that scared manya fan for life....

6-1 Defeat to United...
    It doesnt get much worse for an Arsenal fan other than getting thumped by your biggest rival!! I try to forget this game, but for the life of me I cant.

Finally, a great game but the '99 FA Cup Replay to United.
    Yes when Giggs got that wonder goal. We should have won that game in the 90mins when Bergkamp had the chance with the panalty in the last seconds of the game only for Schmichal to save it!!

Well they are the moments that come to my mind at this time, im sure there are others that Im forgetting... :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

26th Of May 1989, Anfield Liverpool V Arsenal (93rd Minute to be precise).

I'm presuming that you are talking about the worst moment from a footballing perspective and not surrounding the game? e.g. Heysel, Munich etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ireland v England friendly in Lansdowne Road. I'm in the upper deck of the West Stand and the English neonazis seated just yards away start going crazy, ripping up seats and throwing missiles and not a Garda or steward in sight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Chelsea fan, my worst memory being relegated to the old second division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

england v w germany semis in the world cup
    peno shoot out and loosing again:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The 'demonstration' against the manager and chairman outisde Turners Cross after Cork Citys exit from last season Setanta Cup. Knee jerk reaction by idiots. Of course, we all know City went on to wion the league, and no one will admit to being part of the pathetic 'demonstration'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ireland 3-1 Turkey (Istanbul 1991)

Ireland fail to qualify for 1992 European Championships!

The Euro88 qualifiers were my first campaign that I'd followed from the begining so I'd never tasted the dissapointment of going thru a series of matches only to not earn a place in the finals and it was a real sickener (Have got well used to it since tho! :)

Add to this we played a blinder on the night and won the game so it wasn't a night for dissapointment.

Add to this the reports of Turk supporters throwing shaved coins and bottles of urine at Irish supporters inside the ground.

Add to we were by far the best team in our qualifying group that year imho.

I reckon if we ever had a team to actually win a tournament then that Charlton 1990-91 team was it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The Rumbelows cup and FA Cup loss in the same season against Arsenal was a major pi**er

Also getting relagated to Division 2(now league one)

Also the day that gobs**t David Pleat was hired as manager! that man should be sacked out of all football, shouldnt be allowed to comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Big Nelly wrote:
    The Rumbelows cup and FA Cup loss in the same season against Arsenal was a major pi**er

That was wretched, especially as the winning goals were both scored by donkeys who never scored again for anyone ever. Step forward Steve Morrow and Andy Linigan. Also my first year as an owl...69/70 when we came down from the old 1st division with Sunderland with very few points. That was a long old season...

As an Irish fan, almost any of the matches from the most recent world cup qualifiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

8th May, 1990. 3-4 at Crystal Palace :(

Pigman II wrote:
    Ireland 3-1 Turkey (Istanbul 1991)

Ireland fail to qualify for 1992 European Championships!
    Together with the Poland game a couple of weeks earlier, they were two of our best away performances in qualifying competitons I can remember (apart from the last couple of minutes of the Poland game where O'Leary and Bonner gave away a goal each to give Poland an undeserved 3-3 draw - although in fairness George Hamilton was probably the most to blame :mad: ). But we did play some superb exciting and incisive football in those games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rovers being relegated last season, couple with the joy of the 400 club ensuring the club’s very survival it was a very, very bittersweet season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Rovers being relegated last season, couple with the joy of the 400 club ensuring the club’s very survival it was a very, very bittersweet season.

The Kilcoynes selling Glenmalure Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Half time 25th May 2005, 3-0 down to a superior looking Ac Milan side and getting textx a plenty from my mates slagging me off for supporting such a crap team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hippo wrote:
    The Kilcoynes selling Glenmalure Park.

I'm too young to remember that - my first game was the last one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

losing 5-1 to United at Old Trafford, even getting relegated to the third division/second division/league 1 wasn't as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Best
    -Houghtans goal against Italy in '94
    -United winning the CL in '99

Worst
    -Roy Keane getting sent home from saipan coupled with a crap performance against the Spanish in the second round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hobart wrote:
    26th Of May 1989, Anfield Liverpool V Arsenal (93rd Minute to be precise).
    Was going to say that too :o

Also John Aldridge leaving Liverpool, for some reason I remember being very upset...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Losing the league at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Porto knocking United out with that last gasp goal. So many things went against us in that game(scholes "goal") but we still looked comfortable and for it to be taken from us like that was sickening.

Looking at United's problems, that is the night I trace it all back to. Not blaming it on that night, but it was definitely I night I will look back on and think that was the beginning of the end of our domination. Not saying we wont be back but it certainly the dominance we enoyed back then is gone at the moment.

The sickening part about is, if Howard had held that ball would we have heard so much of Mr. Mourinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

For me it was Liverpool's 1-0 loss against Wimbledon in the 1988 FA Cup Final or whatever year it was. It was a game that we should have won on the day but the Crazy Gang didnt make it easy, nicked a goal and Aldo missed several chances. That is the nature of cup football though, you win some and you lose some.

I remember the 2-0 loss against The Arse in 1989 as well but that one didnt feel bad to me as Liverpool lost it themselves, it was a game that with a more confident approach we should have won but Kenny being cautious and under stress, etc, went out with the wrong approach trying to not lose 2-0, but thats what happened as Arsenal nicked a goal at the death. The best form of defence many times is attack.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Hillsborough 1989 - waiting to see if my dad got back OK and seing how effected he was by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Saints being relegated to the Championship may 2005 - i was sickened couldnt talk about it for ages, then the slide down the championship table to our lowest point in 29 years. But the George Burley revolution has begun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

iregk wrote:
    Chelsea fan, my worst memory being relegated to the old second division.

At the time I was resigned to relegation so prepared myself for it!!
    The worst moment was watching the fa cup 1994 in a pub full of united supporters (bizarrely enough there weren't as many chelsea supporters around inthose days...!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Someone mentioned Saipan and that brought it all back to me:( Thanks for that !

Ditto re Saipan. I had just read Keane's interview with Tom Humphries and I thought it was the best thing I'd ever read. Inspiring. Then the peeved off Indo reporter shows not the whole article but a particular segment to McCarthy and all hell breaks loose :mad:

As Liverpool fan I was very disappointed with Wimbledon and Arsenal, but I thought they got what they deserved in both cases over the 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Watching Hillsborough unfold live on TV,
    Being a Liverpool supporter after Heysel

Footballing wise

The match v Holland USA '94

*I think a best moments Thread needs to be opened quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Losing that thriller to Bayer leverkusen:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

But the George Burley revolution has begun :D

It has? Nobody told me! :D

As a Saints fan it is getting relegated, coupled with the hammering Pompey gave us at Fratton Park around this time last year. Good job we'd already beaten them a few times.

As a Shelbourne fan it would have to be Hibernians from Malta scoring against us in the last minute. I was on my way down the steps and almost tripped and went flying on my face. Was not in a good mood after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

[Edit]Quit your anti English League rants[/Edit]

Anyway worst moment was losing Milltown. On the playing side losing the 1991 Cup Final which set the club back a few years. Losing the Cup Final in 2002 and getting relegated by some nothing club but we will be back:D

For Ireland finding out that our best player couldnt be arsed playing for his country before I went out to Japan. A decision that will have consequences forever IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

I'd have to say the 98 semi and Man Utd,
    Bergkamp missing the penalty, I just knew it was gonna be one of those matches.
    But while it was great skill from Giggs, I don't think it's the goal everyone say it is. I mean every single arsenal defender backed away from him, Dixon could have had a nap and still had time to get a tackle in but all he did was back peddle and then when he shot Seaman was on his knees?!

That season could have been SO different, Arsenal fumbled the premiership, threw away the fa cup in the semi, and then Bayern Fell asleep for 10 mins.

*shakes head*

Winning the title at Old Trafford was nice though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet by all of us Man Utd lovers out there. I know we have seen unprecedented success of the last 15 years but we have had our disappointments.

Anyone remember F.A. Cup final vs. Everton?? Same year as the now infamous West Ham match on the last day of the season [infamous to United fans].

God forbid that we forget the hammering that Barcelona gave us when our great side was hampered by the Foreigner rule.

I need not go on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Back on topic, I've a few worst moments, and for my team Spurs it ranges from losing 4 - 0 to Chelsea twice in one season, home & away, but the worst had to be losing 3 - 4 to City in the FA cup having been 3 goals and a man up at half time. I had loads of football haters over at my place playing poker and I was laughing and telling them that this is how soccer is meant to be played. Little did I know what the next 45 minutes would bring. I went straight back to the poker and lost a bloody fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

1995 Ireland vs England

As an England fan living in Dublin, that hurt. Fcuking stupid bastards. And by that I mean the hooligans, the British police, the stadium authorities, the FAI and the Garda Siochana.

Just one giant c0ck-up, start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

worst moment is seeing all the players leave waterford united this season,
    and being 3-0 down at half time to AC MILAN
    best moment is knocking shamrock rovers down last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Eh as a dundalk supporter it was heartbreaking seen my team go down and that same season watching as the board, put every single player up for transfer. Sad times for the club. I have had many of them. I actually cried at the last game when we went down. Even tho im a macho man ;)

As a celtic fan , Thursday 3 March 1994 been told that i would never watch the team my granfather loved and i loved play again, it was a shock then i was 11 at the time and been to parkhead since 1990. When the news broke that mccann bought celtic my grandfather just broke down(good rest his soul) he got a phone call from a friend who was standing outside the bank of scotland with the rest of the celtic fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Worst moments as a Spurs fan? 1987-2004...:D

Losing the 1987 FA Cup final to Coventry with a Gray Mabbutt OG in extra-time. I was only talking to a mate last Sunday and we both agreed that the thought of losing that day never crossed our minds.

Having to sell Gazza and Gary Lineker to save us from bankruptcy back in 1991, and the row between Venables and Sugar meaning we lost a very good manager and the best centre-back we'd had since Richard Gough left us in the lates 80s (Neil Ruddock)

Too many examples of 6/7 goals shipped in the 90s, watching muck like Stuart Nethercott and Dean Austin vainly attempting to hold the line.

Judas leaving for Arsenal. :mad:

George Graham leaving Ginola on the bench away to Kaiserlautern and us conceeding an injury time goal to lose in the UEFA Cup. Proved the man should not have been at WHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And as a Shels fan...

Losing 6-4 to Rovers at Tolka Park a couple of years ago, seeing the visiting "fans" invading the pitch every time they scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I started supporting united in 1990 and before they had won anything. It was the first team I started supporting other than Napoli in Italy because I have family from manchester and didnt want to support Liverpool just cause everyone on the street supported them. ( I liked watching Maradona for Napoli because he was class though class players mean the team generally win all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

As for worst moment. Was losing the leage on the final dayto blackburn in 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

World Cup '90

Final: Germany got a penalty on the 85 minute, and scored. It was meant to be Maradona's year....

i have hated germany since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

World Cup '90

Final: Germany got a penalty on the 85 minute, and scored. It was meant to be Maradona's year....

Pfft, he practically won it on his own for the Argie b*stards 4 years previously in '86...

...and he cheated his way to that one as well.

In fact, his tears after the 1990 final almost made up for the "Hand of dumpy-little-cheating-b*stard"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

World Cup '90

Same here, Not cos of maradonna though. I loved the Argie goalkeeper. Hes was brilliant. That diving b*llox ruined for them though.

gutted.

Ireland losing to Holland in 1994, and spain in 02.

Liverpool - losing to leverkusan, should of done them. And of course to united in 1996 in the Fa cup final, gutted. Half-time last year in the champions league final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Chelsea Fan

Ok - The defeat to Barcelona in the 2000 CL 1-4 final after going to the
    Nou Camp with a 3-1 lead.

the times being beaten by Arsenal 3 times in a season.

Liverpool knocking us out of the CL last year.

Eh let´s see oh yeah last night after watching the match in a bar in Barcelona
    and the ABUSE I got from the catalans, they are the scum of the earth Barça fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ireland getting beaten in the quarters of the world cup, 1990. hated schillaci for years after that, until i saw the heineken or the bulmers ad oir whichever it was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globalconspirac

Last minute goal when Ireland played Macedonia. That was excruciating. I know it was the Irish defending there lead all throughout the game. Remember going nuts in front of TV.

Off- topic - Ken Doherty missing the black on a 147 in the Benson and Hedges masters. Another footstool through TV moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ireland losing to holland and spain in WC
    still blame ian harte for the latter, god he was awful in that WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Pats 0- 5 Zimbru
    worst game ive ever been at
    absolutly horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pats 0- 5 Zimbru
    worst game ive ever been at
    absolutly horrific

Not to mention the other leg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The last day of the 88-89 season was the worst day. And then we bought the little blighter! :eek:

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would be writing all day if I was to tell you about the lows of Leeds United in the last few years!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Two last minute goals, Bobby Ryan in Tolka and that infamous Maltese one. I'm tempted to include Richie Baker re-sgining for Shels too....

• Advertisement
Advertisement