Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 week ban from Islam forum for quoting rules

Options
  • 23-02-2006 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50932751

Ive been banned from this forum for highlighting some very large inconsistencies in the moderation of this thread - after quoting the rules that prohibited what the origional poster had done - I was threatened with a banning and told basically I hadnt read the post properly at all.

After I posted again clearly not only showing I had read the post but in fact the mod in question - Hobbes was simply wrong in his assumption that the article was written by the poster - it wasnt .

I was then banned for a week - nice to see Islam still likes banning and silencing critics -

There are also a large no of locked threads, banned users and warnings on this forum - not what I like to see - also Hobbes claims impartiality when dealing with islamic issues - but thats not true according to some of his other posts I have read subsequently.

This is a disgracefull attempt to shut me up when a mod oversteps the mark and cant follow his own guidelines.

Its also a fairly blatant attempt to post pro islamic teaching on the forum when If I was to post a similar anti or critical tract - i would be banned.

In the interest of fairness can some point out what I have done to deserve a banning
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I think the reason he banned you was as he stated
    Now for the last time. Stay on topic on this thread. Any more off topic about the rules of the forum on this thread gets you a weeks holiday. Forum rules are discussed in the forum rules thread.
    And you continued to go off topic of the thread and discuss the rules when you should have continued what you had issue with the the above mentioned rules thread that he had mentioned.

Just my take on things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think you'll find the Sword of Allah is wielded with some ferocity over there.
    If you want to play in the sandbox remember who's sandbox it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Well the reason I posted again was to clear the acusation that I had not read the post carefully

when in fact he didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Asok summed it up. You were more then happy to continue the discussion within the rules thread, which is the whole point. Or take to a reported post (which is seen by more then just me) or address it in Private Message like some others do.
    This is a disgracefull attempt to shut me up when a mod oversteps the mark and cant follow his own guidelines.

There was no "Silencing critics". You are banned for a week thats all and if you had read what I posted you could of continued to complain in the correct thread. You quite happy to come back in a weeks time to continue your quest for freedom of expression as long as it remains within the guidelines.

To answer your other accusations.
    There are also a large no of locked threads, banned users and warnings on this forum

There are no more warnings then any other forums. Most are for posting off topic in relation to the thread.

To date there is currently only 1 banned user (you). All others have done thier time and you can see who is banned, how long for within the forum rules.

In the last 75 days I have locked 3 threads totally (because the cartoon issue can't be discussed rationally by some people). Others were just announcements. It hardly makes up the majority.
    also Hobbes claims impartiality when dealing with islamic issues - but thats not true according to some of his other posts I have read subsequently.

Are you referring to on/off the forum? All I do is moderate the forum, however just because I moderate doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.
    Its also a fairly blatant attempt to post pro islamic teaching on the forum when If I was to post a similar anti or critical tract - i would be banned.

As pointed out before and same applies to other religous forums, the point of the forum is for people of that religon to discuss topics on it and answer questions people may have. It is not there for people of that religon to have to defend themselves from attack or the actions of a minority in thier name.

Of course you are more then welcome to discuss said topics in forums more suited like Humanities or Politics without the same level of constraint.

With regards to Qadris post, a number of posters seem more intent on attacking the poster rather then discussing what was written, even after asking people what they found questionable about the post they would not respond and continued on (not just one person). His post was moved from Media (agreed with Flogen). He is the source of the original post and didn't pass it off as his own (he knows the rules). What Qadri may or may not think on certain issues is not open to discussion, you can use private message for that.

The thread was moved there to allow people to ask questions about the post which would not be related to media/news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Wolff wrote:
    I was then banned for a week - nice to see Islam still likes banning and silencing critics -
    Lollers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Thanks Hobbes for the reply - nice to see the thread binned too.....if you cant follow your own rules who can eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The thread was a disgrace anyway.

Wolff wrote:
    Thanks Hobbes for the reply - nice to see the thread binned too.....if you cant follow your own rules who can eh.

It was binned because it was a crap magnet and I was in two minds to just ban belle end right off the bat, but then it would just continue on again.

I didn't bin it because of Qadris post.

Oh and "my rules" is somewhat incorrect. They are base rules, people who frequent the forum are certainly welcome to address issues they may have with the rules and they can be changed but within the rules thread (and some have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Well if you think hobbes speaks for Islam then you asked for it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Can we take it from Qadris post being allowed on the ISLAM forum that we can now post spam propaganda?

Talk about preaching to the converted. How dumb can you get. They just shoot themselves in the foot when they are not blowing themselves up. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

aLLAH ACKBAR! DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA!

Can we take it from Qadris post being allowed on the ISLAM forum that we can now post spam propaganda?

I'd explain to you, but its like p!ssing in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hobbes wrote:
    I'd explain to you, but its like p!ssing in the wind.

Nothing wrong with pissing in the wind if you are actually trying to water your garden....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

amp wrote:
    aLLAH ACKBAR! DURKA DURKA DURKA DURKA!
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Nothing wrong with pissing in the wind if you are actually trying to water your garden....:)

Yes but I guess it can get a bit tiring washing your face afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Ok Hobbes... This all started because of Metrovelvet's original question if the OP was a moderate or not. I don't understand your problem with this. Are we not allowed to ask other posters' position on things or do we have to figure it out from what they are quoting?

Caryatnid wrote:
    Ok Hobbes... This all started because of Metrovelvet's original question if the OP was a moderate or not. I don't understand your problem with this. Are we not allowed to ask other posters' position on things or do we have to figure it out from what they are quoting?

Not at all. However there is a whole system called "Private Messages" that you can use to connect to said user and ask them directly. However just asking "Are you moderate" without any reason why you are asking it is off topic for the thread and directly attacking the poster rather then a post.

When some people were asked they said "Because of what he posted" yet when I ask them to explain what parts I have of yet to get any response instead I am told they believe he is not a moderate but won't explain why.

Hence the reason the question is more directed attacking the poster rather then the post. More often then not the people posting won't even post Private Message as they seem to think they are getting a point across by asking it public.

Advertisement