Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw polo problem

Options
  • 23-02-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 1l polo and its been acting up on me lately it seems to get stuck in netural, meaning it wont change into 1st or 2nd gear. This seems to happen intermitently, it will change gear when the engine is off!. Could it be the clutch or something more serious? car was running great up to now, thanks for replys.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sounds like the clutch/clutch-plate could be gone/going, off to the garage with ya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ah right heh its down at a garage atm but he doesnt open until 9.30 :o just wanted to get this verified by one of you guys before the chap started off on his bandwagon. I had it booked into another garage but very doubtfull it would have made it there lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It could also be the gearbox being low on oil, or the linkage needing to be adjusted.

One thing that happened me with my old ibiza was the the bracket mounting the clutch pedal started to give way, this subtly moved the clutch pedal so that even when I was fully depressing it, the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. This made it hard to get into gear when stopped and sometimes when moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

stevenmu wrote:
    It could also be the gearbox being low on oil, or the linkage needing to be adjusted.

One thing that happened me with my old ibiza was the the bracket mounting the clutch pedal started to give way, this subtly moved the clutch pedal so that even when I was fully depressing it, the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. This made it hard to get into gear when stopped and sometimes when moving.

Thanks for that Stevenmu, hopefully its nothing major its been serviced not that long ago and an oil change was done, but the oil was never topped up again. Well I'll be collecting her at 5pm and will let ya know the damage. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Hal1 wrote:
    Thanks for that Stevenmu, hopefully its nothing major its been serviced not that long ago and an oil change was done, but the oil was never topped up again. Well I'll be collecting her at 5pm and will let ya know the damage. :v:

Ah t'will only be your clutch. There not that expensive, I've changed mine in my seat ibiza before now and payed little money from Agri autos.

fitting is reletively simple if your a bit mechanicly minded..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

I had this problem before too. Just before the clutch cable went. Cost be about 200 to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Just before the clutch cable went. Cost be about 200 to fix.

Before your clutch cable went, did you notice the clutch pedal more stiff than usual? Mine's awefully stiff on the MK2 Ibiza - Can't decide what it is..

Granted it's cable and not as easy a hydraulic one, but damn it's the stiffest one I've ever put my foot on as aposed to a friends Ibiza..

Tried WD40'ing the clutch cable also, but nothing really

Advertisement