Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repentance

• 23-02-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

hi i was wondering would anyone be able to explain to me the christian call to repentance and what it is all about? i ve been looking it up n the net but am finding it difficult to find any relevant information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Repentence means turning away from something. So the Christian call to repentence means to make a u-turn away from thinking that through good works or religious observance or good intentions, that we can make ourselves right with God. The turn that repentence speaks of is in the direction of letting God, in the work of Jesus, do the reconciling between us and him.

So repentence works itself out as confessing our sin to God and the fact that we have tried to live our lives with our self in the centre instead of God and then asking for his help to turn that around so he becomes the centre of our life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭John Doe

Excelsior, is it possible to let Jesus/God become the centre of our lives or can that only happen after death? I mean can one only strive towards but never achieve it in life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

John Doe wrote:
    Excelsior, is it possible to let Jesus/God become the centre of our lives or can that only happen after death? I mean can one only strive towards but never achieve it in life?

I know I'm not Excelsior, but here goes.

I think it is possible to allow Jesus to be the centre of our lives. Sometimes it can be difficult when we make those choices that go against His will, but he forgives us.

A couple of years back there were bracelets, necklaces, etc that had WWJD on them. It stood for 'what would Jesus do?'. Asking that question before doing anything is supposed to aid in you in putting Jesus and His will first.

From a Biblical standpoint, Romans 8:29 says that we are being transformed into th elikeness of Christ. I think it is a two way stree. The holy Spirit works to bring us to that point, but we have to commit to it.

When we do get to Heaven, then Christ will be front and centre in our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I do think John Doe is right in a very important sense though Brian. We move towards Christlike-ness through the participative work of the Holy Spirit but that can only be completed beyond this life. Yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Excelsior wrote:
    I do think John Doe is right in a very important sense though Brian. We move towards Christlike-ness through the participative work of the Holy Spirit but that can only be completed beyond this life. Yeah?

Absolutely. Great point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭John Doe

Thanks, guys. Some of my friends have those WWJD bracelets actually. I'm a bit cynical about that kind of thing, or at least used to be. It's a very good sentiment though now that I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

thanks a mil excelsior!! i finally think i know what it is refering to.

Advertisement