Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackpowder

Options
  • 23-02-2006 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the situation is here with blackpowder guns?
    I'm corresponding with an American who's into such things, and I don't want to go telling him lies :D

I've 'heard' that the guns are licenced the same as any other gun, but the propellant is classified as an explosive, which opens a whole Pandora's box of complication and bureaucracy.

Anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's pretty much what I heard as well Rovi, though the NTSA rep was asking the SSAI to bring up with the DoJ as to whether or not a reloading licence would be needed to shoot black powder; the current CJB would seem to imply it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I am interested in getting into black powder and made a few inquiries. As far as I can gather, you need a firearms cert for the gun and apply for a permit to hold black powder. This permit (Form C49) is called a Police Certificate For Keeping Explosives For Private Use and seems to be issued by your local Super. The problem seems to arise when you go looking for the powder, no one seems to stock it. It is readily available in Britain but not in the North although I located a dealer in Britain willing to transport it there. The alternative to black powder is Pyrodex, This has a higher flash point and can be used in percussion guns but has a high rate of failure in flintlocks.

I have been in touch with the Dept, Firearms Sect, about the importation of black powder and they ask for it to be put in writing. I sent it to them two weeks ago, still waiting for a reply. I have also been in touch with Declan Keogh and he says he will bring it up at the next meeting.

It seems to be another one of those situations there you are allowed to hold the gun and allowed to hold the ammunition but you're not allowed to get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Would suggest that rather talking about black powder which is a dangerous enough explosive in itself.Look into getting PYRODEX.It is alot more safer than BP and has the same propellant properties.But doesnt have the same amount of hassle with storage,shipment and possibly liscensing and papwerwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Pyrodex requires a higher temperature to ignite and can work OK in percussion guns but flintlocks depend on a flash from the pan to ignite the main charge in the barrel and this apparently has a high failure rate with Pyrodex.Unfortunately with flintlocks, it has to be black powder.

Advertisement