Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store "Sale"

Options
  • 23-02-2006 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Very quick one hopefully.

Was in a shop over the weekend and bought some furniture (on "sale"). Left a deposit and got a call yesterday to pay the remainder.

Got into the shop today and the same unit is nearly 20% cheaper.

I was told that if I changed my mind, I would loose my deposit. Unless I bought something else in the store.

I would have presumed that I could just get the discount automatically. They are saying that no, I bought it at the price shown over the weekend.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    ambrose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I would say that you have agreed to buy at a price and unfortunatly you will have to honour that offer.

It's not nice, but you did make an offer to the seller at the original price.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Would you expect them to charge you a higher price if the price had gone up over the weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

whippet wrote:
    I would say that you have agreed to buy at a price and unfortunatly you will have to honour that offer.

It's not nice, but you did make an offer to the seller at the original price.
    correct but you can argue for a 10% discount of the original selling price as an act of good faith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

parsi wrote:
    Would you expect them to charge you a higher price if the price had gone up over the weekend ?

No, of course not. Because I had not paid in full, I thought there might be some leeway. Thats all.

As gerrycollins said, even a small gesture of good faith would have been nice. Especially when I spent a few €k in the store.

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For the shop to keep your deposit it will have to have on some sort of documentation given to you the terms and conditions stating that a depost may be retained in the event of you failing to complete the transaction. Generally the rule is that if it is a special order purchase then the retailer can justify keeping the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

No, of course not.

Exactly - you can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If it was me, I would be intimating to them the likelihood of you returning the item to them and obtaining a full refund - as you should be entitled to do under the Consumer Protection Regulations. They would be stingy not to offer you the discount if you pressed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Eurorunner wrote:
    If it was me, I would be intimating to them the likelihood of you returning the item to them and obtaining a full refund - as you should be entitled to do under the Consumer Protection Regulations. They would be stingy not to offer you the discount if you pressed for it.

Eh, but he can't return it for a refund unless its faulty. Where do the "Consumer Protection Regulations" state what you claim?

Advertisement