Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom plan to release 40 new DSL exchanges next week .

• 23-02-2006 11:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

If you are on the list of exchanges being enabled for DSL by Eircom it is rumoured that 40 of them will go live next week (2nd March or so) and 40-50 again 2 weeks later. 14 were announced last week .

* Abbeydorney, Kerry.
    * Ballybay, Monaghan.
    * Ballymote, Sligo.
    * Doon, Mayo.
    * Inverin, Galway.
    * Killavullen, Cork.
    * Kilbrittain, Cork.
    * Pallasgreen, Limerick.
    * Riverstick, Cork.
    * Shanagolden, Limerick.
    * Shinrone, Offaly.
    * Strandhill, Sligo.
    * Teeranea, Galway.
    * Waterville, Kerry.

Keep an eye on the news section on the bottom right of the eircom home page .

(I should not be doing this , would the usual suspect please assume his appointed role :p)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    (I should not be doing this , would the usual suspect please assume his appointed role )
    I think a complaint to the union is in order:D .
    That's a fair block of exchanges. Aughrim is on the list you posted before. Do you know if it's Aughrim outside Ballinasloe or the Aughrim in Co. Wicklow? I see the one in Wicklow has been enabled already.
    It's not a huge village but the exchange has Eircom fibre running about 40 yards from it on the main road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's not a huge village but the exchange has Eircom fibre running about 40 yards from it on the main road.

Wickila I would say . My logic is that the same fibre to which you aver runs past Craughwell 091846 and Kilrickle 091843 exchanges which are not on that list.

Mind you they also did Ardrahan which is as small as Aughrim .....because it has fibre running past it on the main road too. You could try to mail Phil Nolan who will be announcing a new list this month or next and make sure he knows that fibre is close....very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I hope the Passage East exchange in Waterford will be enabled soon too :(

It's in that big list of exhanges to be upgraded sometime this year, so hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Castletownbere excahnge in West Cork, Will also becoming online very soon, possibly with the time frame indicated by Sponge Bob, But definatly in March or April the latest anyway.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Wickila I would say . My logic is that the same fibre to which you aver runs past Craughwell 091846 and Kilrickle 091843 exchanges which are not on that list.

Mind you they also did Ardrahan which is as small as Aughrim .....because it has fibre running past it on the main road too. You could try to mail Phil Nolan who will be announcing a new list this month or next and make sure he knows that fibre is close....very close.
    Good logic. The fibre is even closer to the Kilrickle exchange (runs by the front door) so I'd say you're right.
    I'm quite happy on a 3mb line off the town exchange but my brother in Aughrim and alot of locals are interested in getting BB but none of them (except him) want the hassle of organising a GBS.
    Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    Good logic. The fibre is even closer to the Kilrickle exchange (runs by the front door) so I'd say you're right.

I know, I nearly wents into that very manhole once as I pulled in for a quick wan in Brodericks . The manhole cover was wonky .

Remember that Most of East Connemara is on the current list because there is a fibre running Galway Maam Casla Galway and the same goes for towns along the N59 around south and west Donegal , places like Mountcharles and Ardara are being done too....again there is a fibre.

Ardrahan on the N18 was near a fibre, they may be small and rural in Ardrahan but they have DSL since last year. Kilrickle and Aughrim are on the N6 , why should they be different when the backhaul is in place already .

Regrettably I am telling you why you should make the next list which will be announced in the next 2 months and will not be done until this time next year but hop to it and you may get something.

Brodericks eh! I hope you had your wellys and a designated driver.:p
    What's Philo's email address?

search boards!

Sponge Bob wrote:
    search boards!
    Will do, ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sponge Bob wrote:

* Abbeydorney, Kerry.
    * Ballybay, Monaghan.
    * Ballymote, Sligo.
    * Doon, Mayo.
    * Inverin, Galway.
    * Killavullen, Cork.
    * Kilbrittain, Cork.
    * Pallasgreen, Limerick.
    * Riverstick, Cork.
    * Shanagolden, Limerick.
    * Shinrone, Offaly.
    * Strandhill, Sligo.
    * Teeranea, Galway.
    * Waterville, Kerry.

I've never heard of half of these places - it must be a cool new marketing gimmick - invent broadband exchanges for ballydenowhere to make it look like you are doing something. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Teeranea, Galway. Are they referring to Toreeny in Moycullen? Can anyone confirm this? If so yay! I'll be moving out there soon and I just couldn't go back to dial up after being on bb for ages :(

Tooreeny (sic) is on the Moycullen exchange except that its 3 miles away (and over) and has no DSL ...yet.

You can get IBB though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

Gangsta wrote:
    Teeranea, Galway. Are they referring to Toreeny in Moycullen? Can anyone confirm this? If so yay! I'll be moving out there soon and I just couldn't go back to dial up after being on bb for ages :(

Also there are two node from www.Irishwan.com in moycullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jman

Sponge Bob,

Re. East Connemara ... Its a mess

Barna exchange has been enabled but not announced (AFAIK), Spiddal
    exchange will be shortly. Furbo villiage sandwiched between the two
    is NOT and there are no plans to do this, despite the fact that
    fibre is running all along the coast road.

Apparently Furbo folk were either connected to Barna or Spiddal
    exchanges but a lot of these were moved to new "equipment" during
    (the Barna enablement) Furbo which prevents them getting DSL. I do not
    know what this new equipment is, but there is a new cab beside the Connemara Coast. Why put in new equipment and not DSL enable it ?

Boggles the mind. Mails to Phil Nolan et al have proved fruitless. According to
    Eircom Furbo upgrade is not planned in the short to medium term, and
    realistically looking at 6-12 months before its even tabled for consideration.

Meanwhile, Com1/Udaras applied for a GBS grant for the Cois Fharraige region,
    won the grant, then started "rolling" out their package ... to businesses only.
    It has limited coverage because of LOS issues and is a whopping 150 euro's a month for a 1Mb line. Com1 just recently absolved themselves of operating this service and handed back the operation to Leap. Can they do this given they won the grant ? They still retain the licenses though.

So effectively Furbo, just 6 miles from Ireland 4th largest city, has little
    or no affordable and usable (not Satellite latency issues) Broadband solution.

The picture is grim. What to do ??

Advertisement