Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Recording

Options
  • 23-02-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I've started Recording with just Acoustic Guitar (no pickup) and Vocals, But the Mic I have is cheep and nasty, So I need a new Mic, Any suggestions on a make/type and where bouts in Dublin I could buy it. Also Can anyone recomend the setup I'd need to get a good quality sound using a good Mic and a PC and Software for mixing. The sound cards a good make i think...... I just want to put together a few Demo's of my own stuff...... Nothing too O.T.T but good Quality all the same! Looking at the other Threads I see menction of Mixers being used?! Don't have a clue to go easy on the Tech side. :o
    Cheers for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Samson audio make a condensor mike (read "good sound quality") with a USB connection at the end so you can plug in directly into your computer and bypass the soundcard inputs altogether. Might be worth looking at.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2

I'm sure you can buy it online at thomann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd reccomend a pair of Rode NT-5 matched pair stereo mics, they're not very exensive (i think about 300 quid a pair) and they give you an excellent sound. I've used them as a pair when recording acoustic guitar for a nice stereo effect. They'd also do the trick for vocals. Coupling these with a USB preamp (like the digidesign m-box) would be a nice little investment if you want to do some serious home recording. There'd be a small bit of techie fiddling involved but nothing that won't take you a few evenings to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

You can also pick up two Shure SM-57's off ebay for around €150-€160, great mics for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Condenser all the way, youll have to get a little mixer with phantom power though. I second the suggestion for a pair of Rode NT5's. Maybe get one small diaphragm condenser for guitar and one large diaphragm condenser for the vocals. How much are you willing to spend?

I know you said to go easy on the tech side of things, but mixers are very easy to use and a nice pair of condensers would sound excellent for your application

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

or you could get 2 akg c1000's. Battery powered so you won't need the mixer for phantom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

squibs wrote:
    Samson audio make a condensor mike (read "good sound quality") with a USB connection at the end so you can plug in directly into your computer and bypass the soundcard inputs altogether. Might be worth looking at.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2

I'm sure you can buy it online at thomann.

This idea seems good. I'm looking to spend about 50 - 100 euro on a mic(s), as i've spent alot on software and other gear. Mic wasnt a priority untill I realsied the one I have is muck. Thanks all for your suggestions, I'll take a look in Town. (Any recomedations for Music shops to buy a mic??) Dublin by the way. cheers again

Advertisement