Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classy Fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The guys who attacked the ambulance should be banned from every Soccer ground in the UK. That makes me sick, a guy has an injury that could end his career and some mindless tugs decide to blacken both Liverpool football club and soccer in gerneral by attacking the ambulance carrying the player to hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

theres always a few mindless thugs out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yop wrote:
    :rolleyes:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=365895&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=United+and+Reds+condemn+attack

In fairness nearly all Liverpool fans here condemed the Rise chanting and the help the Liverpool doctors gave was fantastic but this really goes beyond rivalry.

Didnt surprise me after the way they carried on for the minutes silence for George Best.

Also throwing mobile phones at Utd players. great set of "fans" that club has!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Big Nelly wrote:
    Didnt surprise me after the way they carried on for the minutes silence for George Best.

Also throwing mobile phones at Utd players. great set of "fans" that club has!

See, you're just looking for a reaction from 'pool fans.

Yer post servers no other purpose imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

county wrote:
    theres always a few mindless thugs out there
    True, but if they can be identified then they should be banned. Not sure how much of a difference it'll make though, where exactly did this happen? Was it outside or inside the ground? If outside then it was people who weren't at the match in the first place, so what difference to ban them...

Either way it's quite discusting - interfering with an ambulance should be a criminal offence regardless of how the clubs handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And again with the liverpool bashing Nelly, anybody would think you had some nature of agenda. As has already been said fans will give their respect to people who deserve it, Alan smith, the only player to show a bit of heart in that game got a standing ovation from liverpool and man u fans alike as they respected hom for at least making an efort. George Best, who was a self confessed cheating,wife beating, alcoholic killed himself through alcoholism and Man U fans expect that everybody will respect him, get out of it, he will always be well respected at OT because of what he did for Man U but what has he done that should afford him the respect of other fans ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

irish1 wrote:
    The guys who attacked the ambulance should be banned from every Soccer ground in the UK.

Do you think anybody at the club cares? They not even bothered to acknowledge it through their owen avenues yet, yet it's all over other media avenues.

Over the years numerous incident have been report to Liverpool football club by away fans regarding some of the things that have come from the upper level of the Anfield Road down on to the away supporters, feces, urine, coins, and hot drinks amoungst others are some of the things I have witnessed. Hard evidence has been provided to the club on many an ocassion, nothing has EVER been done about it.

I've sat in a fair few away end but the Anfield Road end takes the biscut for gnorance and scum.

As for the club, I wonder how long they may keep up their ostriches burying their heads mentality.

Best fans in the world, give me a break.

And again with the liverpool bashing Nelly, anybody would think you had some nature of agenda. As has already been said fans will give their respect to people who deserve it, Alan smith, the only player to show a bit of heart in that game got a standing ovation from liverpool and man u fans alike as they respected hom for at least making an efort. George Best, who was a self confessed cheating,wife beating, alcoholic killed himself through alcoholism and Man U fans expect that everybody will respect him, get out of it, he will always be well respected at OT because of what he did for Man U but what has he done that should afford him the respect of other fans ?

Not a Utd fan, neither was the thousands of clubs out there that stood and respected the minutes silence. What has his personal life got to do with it? it was to show a tribute of one of the greatest players in the World. You have a problem with that? probably becaues he was a Utd player!

Not liverpool bashing, dont have to! your "fans" do that for themselves.

oh yeah quick tip, not everyone on this forum loves Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Bluetonic wrote:
    Do you think anybody at the club cares? They not even bothered to acknowledge it through their owe avenues yet, yet it's all over other media avenues.
    What? Liverpool football club and Manchester United football club came together to produce a joint statement condeming the act.

p.pete wrote:
    What? Liverpool football club and Manchester United football club came together to produce a joint statement condeming the act.

I see Manchester United have release it via their website and through other mediums. I haven't seen Liverpool release or acknowledge it, surely they should use there own propaganda channels and not rely on other media.

• Advertisement

this threads got bannings written all over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I skipped every post after the OP's. The simple fact is that every club has these fans. This could well have been the other way around and a small minority of Man Utd fans attacking an ambulance carrying a Liverpool player. It's shameful as a supporter of the same team of those "fans" but you can't tar all fans with the one brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There's no excuse for it. Its criminal behaviour and should be treated as such.

fade2black wrote:
    I skipped every post after the OP's. The simple fact is that every club has these fans. This could well have been the other way around and a small minority of Man Utd fans attacking an ambulance carrying a Liverpool player. It's shameful as a supporter of the same team of those "fans" but you can't tar all fans with the one brush.

Agreed the club has these fans, but why has The Club failed to act on things that have happened in the past? Things there are hard evidence for, the things that have been witnessed and report to The Club by away fans?

It can't be excused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fade2black wrote:

:) thanks f2b.
    Least someone else said it

and yes, I know you're not a pool fan which adds more meaning to it imo

fade2black wrote:

Well said.

@ Nelly, grow up or get out of the forum. It is as simple as that, if you have no interest in the threads on liverpool bar to jump in and stir up some crap then you are not wanted. Ignore them and they will ignore you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The guys who attacked the ambulance should be banned from every Soccer ground in the UK.

No, they should be arrested.
    This is the problem with people, they think because they are a football fan they can get away with doing stuff like this, but they shouldn't be allowed. People have to change this mindset, the punishment for them should be jail terms, and the sooner that happens, the sooner this sorta stuff will be stomped out.

People who throw things from stadiums should be jailed, as it is physical assault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads in fairness & as said this crap happens at 99% of grounds & if your blinkered enough not to realise this then!
    Attacking the ambulance brings it to another level, again as said these guys should be arrested, I would have presumed there were some stewards around when this was going on.

Again maybe it shows the level of intelligence of SOME of the fans who go to soccer matches (Except Ireland ???) where as if you go to a GAA match or Rugby match I think you would not find this carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

yop wrote:
    Again maybe it shows the level of intelligence of SOME of the fans who go to soccer matches (Except Ireland ???) where as if you go to a GAA match or Rugby match I think you would not find this carry on.

Are you serious? It not only happens off pitch in GAA but on the pitch too. Mentors and players attacking referees, fans attacking players…..

yop wrote:

so theres no trouble in ireland in sporting events??
    tyrone v dublin gaa
    and i am pretty sure there was holliganism in the eircom league last season,not sure of the teams playing though
    so i dont except your (except ireland???)point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If you look at the official Liverpool forum, the fans are writing 'get well' messages and the thread is going to be printed and sent to Alan Smith in hospital. There is not a single negative thing in the thread. These werent Liverpool fans, they are thugs & criminals and they should be treated as such.

Tusky wrote:
    These werent Liverpool fans, they are thugs & criminals and they should be treated as such.

That is an extremely ignorant and ill informed thing to say. Why can't you accept that there is a thug element within Liverpool fans, the same as there are within every group of fans.

They were Liverpool fans. Fact.

Well said.

@ Nelly, grow up or get out of the forum. It is as simple as that, if you have no interest in the threads on liverpool bar to jump in and stir up some crap then you are not wanted. Ignore them and they will ignore you.

Grow up? you read that off my other post and paste it in here. Look in the mirror.

I spoke my minds, seen enough of Liverpool fans that this doesn't surprise me. You came back with some stupid excuse that not respecting a minutes silence for great player is ok because he drank(wont mention what else you said). Not only showing disrespect to Best but to the World of football. How you can defend the actions of the Liverpool fans for a minutes silenece is beyond me!

If you want to turn a blind eye to the hooligan element in the Liverpool fans by all means do but dont think that everyone else in the World is blind to it. I have mentioned on here before about problem with the fans of Shef Wed and there hardcore groups which casuse problem. but it seems when it comes to Liverpool you can't comment on them without being biased. Sad really when you attack everyone when they dont agree with Liverpool and there greatness!

Why were they liverpool fans, fact ? They were outside the ground peltin an ambulance. I think that was a disgraceful thing to do but it could have been anybody outside. Ambulances are attacked here all of the time and there is a big driveon to cut it down. I know that the police are clamping down on it and tat they are taking it v seriously. As regards whether it was liverpool fans, Man U fans or Bermuda fans, the attack is a disgrace regardless of who perpetrated it.

As regards the hooligan elemnt in Liverpools support, it has been recognised many times, I am at most Liverpool home games and within the ground the fans are passionate but not hooligans. There have been numerous people banned from the ground this season for being abusive and some racism,the club try to control these things but it is as much as anybody could do really, how a club can be expected to control fans who do not attend games is beyond me as if they do not go there can be no sanctions applied to them by the club.

county wrote:
    so theres no trouble in ireland in sporting events??
    tyrone v dublin gaa
    and i am pretty sure there was holliganism in the eircom league last season,not sure of the teams playing though
    so i dont except your (except ireland???)point

Tyrone v Dublin was a bad day for the GAA but I think this was because the Tyrone team(Ulster teams) have bullied the soft southern teams for a while and the Dubs went up there with the atitude to get stuck,. this has been dealth with already with 4 week bans which shows clubs there is no place for this.

Never seen any problem at the Ireland games which I think he is refering to, only time was the English incident but that was the blow in's fault.

Cant comment on Eircom league, but for sure at Rugby games, even with alcohol served there is never any probs.

As regards the hooligan elemnt in Liverpools support, it has been recognised many times, I am at most Liverpool home games and within the ground the fans are passionate but not hooligans.

I think Liverpool football club could reconsider the positioning of home fans above away fans in the upper level of the Anfield Road.

If you've ever been sat in the lower tier as an away fan you would understand what I mean. As much as I enjoy football, I don't enjoy having to wipe another persons human bodily fluids off myself during a match, and these don't come from someone outside the ground, unless they can propel fluids from the Anfield Road over the roof of the stand and onto the lower tier.

A lot of fans, Liverpool ones included, are extremely ignorant to the going ons of their own lot.

True and there have been a number of bannings, the section above the away supporters section is the family section though. If you have sat in the split away end at anfield in the supporters section you will find that the home fans find themselves doing the same thing ;)

I think that this trouble will occur at any ground and I can confirm that people have been banned this season from Anfield for all sorts of things. Sometimes there are announcements before the game saying people have been banned and that the club have no problem banning more people from the ground.

As regards the hooligan elemnt in Liverpools support, it has been recognised many times, I am at most Liverpool home games and within the ground the fans are passionate but not hooligans. There have been numerous people banned from the ground this season for being abusive and some racism,the club try to control these things but it is as much as anybody could do really, how a club can be expected to control fans who do not attend games is beyond me as if they do not go there can be no sanctions applied to them by the club.

Yeah launching a mobile phone at Rooney because he scored is just passion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

As mentioned, attacking an ambulance is a criminal offence and should be dealt with severely by the authorities. It's sickening that there are people about would stoop so low.

They're not football fans, but they ARE Liverpool fans, who worship the ground and the great players and act in according to what their tiny minds consider to be what Shankly would have wanted I guess.

As mentioned all clubs have these fans, but there needs to be a greater acceptance. Liverpool football club (or any other) can announce in a press conference, their regret, and that these fans are not their fans and wash their hands like on so many occasions but it doesn't address the problem.

• Advertisement

Look back over that event, that "supporter" was banned and I beliee has been prosecuted by the police also. There is only so much that the club can do tho get rid of the hooligan element and Liverpool are amongst the most proactive if teams working in collaboration with the police on any number of events.

If these "supporters" were not at the game then how can the club impose sanctions. I know that thye can pass on any CCTv footage on to the [police that they may have but there are so many CCTV police vans outside the ground that I have no doubt thet these people will be caught and subjected to the full rigors of the law.

Bluetonic wrote:
    That is an extremely ignorant and ill informed thing to say. Why can't you accept that there is a thug element within Liverpool fans, the same as there are within every group of fans.

They were Liverpool fans. Fact.

Im not saying they werent Liverpool supporters, im just saying that im my eyes, they are not true fans. True fans of the sport and the game would not do such a filthy thing to someone who is seriously injured. They are football hooligans, thugs, they are there for a fight and to cause trouble. In my eyes they are not true fans.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

GAA bar the Dublin V Tyrone match is planets away from soccer as regards hooliganism, one bad match in how long?

And you are right they are not fans, they are not supporters, they are the LCD that can be found at any club and in any city across Europe.

theCzar wrote:
    As mentioned, attacking an ambulance is a criminal offence and should be dealt with severely by the authorities. It's sickening that there are people about would stoop so low.

They're not football fans, (for instance they left watching the game to attack an ambulance) but they ARE Liverpool fans, who worship the ground and the great players and act in according to what their tiny minds consider to be what Shankly would have wanted I guess.

As mentioned all clubs have these fans, but there needs to be a greater acceptance. Liverpool football club (or any other) can announce in a press conference, their regret, and that these fans are not their fans and wash their hands like on so many occasions but it doesn't address the problem.

Would have been after the game, Smith had his injury at the very end and there was only injury time left, he wouldn't have been sent directly out the doors, they would have stabilised him in the dressing room ready for the trip to hospital because I am sure he wasnt going to the local general hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And you are right they are not fans, they are not supporters, they are the LCD that can be found at any club and in any city across Europe.
    Why do people insist on saying that if you're a scumbag you're not a "Fan" or a "Supporter"? The truth is, you can be the lowest of the low and still be a supporter of a club. It make you a particulary nice person but still a supporter nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Big Nelly wrote:
    Would have been after the game, Smith had his injury at the very end and there was only injury time left, he wouldn't have been sent directly out the doors, they would have stabilised him in the dressing room ready for the trip to hospital because I am sure he wasnt going to the local general hospital.

oh yeah :o good point. I stand by what I said tho.

newsflash: some people are assholes!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    newsflash: some people are assholes!

Have a link to the source of this information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yop wrote:
    GAA bar the Dublin V Tyrone match is planets away from soccer as regards hooliganism, one bad match in how long?

Actually i was at Croke Pk for the hurling qurterfinals last year and saw a punch up between some galway fans and tip "fans" just in front of me....no stewards no police. Every Dublin match i've been at has had fights outside it....and i've not been to all that many GAA games.

Anyway, those people who attacked the ambulance should be found, arrested and thrown in prison.

How low can you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Big Nelly wrote:
    You came back with some stupid excuse that not respecting a minutes silence for great player is ok because he drank(wont mention what else you said). Not only showing disrespect to Best but to the World of football. How you can defend the actions of the Liverpool fans for a minutes silenece is beyond me!

Drunk drivers = lowest of the low. I didn't hear that Liverpool supporters booed his minutes silence but if they did then fair play to them.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Have a link to the source of this information?
    http://www.peopleareassholes.com/

NSFW

Pigman II wrote:
    Drunk drivers = lowest of the low. I didn't hear that Liverpool supporters booed his minutes silence but if they did then fair play to them.

Great contribution there! and people say I am trying to wind people up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Pigman II wrote:
    Drunk drivers = lowest of the low.
    Lower than murderers, rapists and child abusers?

Respect is earned and can be squandered very easily. Smith earned my respect and it seems the respect of most of the liverpool players, and fans by showing a bit of heart onthe pitch amongst a team that seemed tohave none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

RuggieBear wrote:
    Every Dublin match i've been at has had fights outside it....and i've not been to all that many GAA games.
    I have heard of fights probably 4 or 5 times after Dublin matches in the 20+ years I've been going to Dublin games. Never have I heard of a big group fight like you'd get across the water. I've been to well over a 100 Dublin games and I have actually never witnessed a fist fight outside a Dublin game - the worst has been verbals and threats.

When you say "Every Dublin match i've been at has had fights outside it", I presume you've just been to one, and were just unlucky to come across a fight. It would be an extraordinary stat for you to have been at 2 or 3 and seen fights at each one, given I've been to over 100 and never seen one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Lower than murderers, rapists and child abusers?

Some would say so. At least most murderers have a target. Drunk Drivers don't care who they kill.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Great contribution there!

Thanks, sweet of you to say.

Every fulham game I have been at I have seen fights at and that has been quite a few. The premier league and the english media do cover this up or I suppose try not to sensationalise it as it will hit any bid for a world cup or olympics or euro championships hard but it certainly happens alot. As has already been stated every fanbase has it's nutters, this particular group of "fans" actions made the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

When you say "Every Dublin match i've been at has had fights outside it", I presume you've just been to one, and were just unlucky to come across a fight. It would be an extraordinary stat for you to have been at 2 or 3 and seen fights at each one, given I've been to over 100 and never seen one.

I've been at about 5 over the last 10 years and each time i have seen punches thrown between dublin fans and kildare/meath fans.
    Every fulham game I have been at I have seen fights at and that has been quite a few. The premier league and the english media do cover this up or I suppose try not to sensationalise it as it will hit any bid for a world cup or olympics or euro championships hard but it certainly happens alot. As has already been stated every fanbase has it's nutters, this particular group of "fans" actions made the papers.

Totally agree....Leicester city centre used to be a warzone after a home game. It was particuarly bad when nottigham or derby firms were travelling back from london...they stop off in leicester and meet the locals. I witnessed full scale rioting a few times when i was at leicester and there was never ever a mention of it in the media the next day.

Pigman II wrote:
    Drunk Drivers don't care who they kill.

They dont ? heh.

You're making some pretty outragious statements in this thread pigman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Does anyone know what actually happend. someone throw an egg at the ambergade, the fact that it isnt on the liverpool website just sounds like Man utd dirty tricks, trying to belittle liverpools win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement