Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classy Fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

RuggieBear wrote:
    I've been at about 5 over the last 10 years and each time i have seen punches thrown between dublin fans and kildare/meath fans.
    Interesting 100% record. Some people will probably believe you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Does anyone know what actually happend. someone throw an egg at the ambergade, the fact that it isnt on the liverpool website just sounds like Man utd dirty tricks, trying to belittle liverpools win.
    Oh would you stop!! :rolleyes: It's not a bleedin Conspiracy!

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060223:MTFH22528_2006-02-23_13-01-45_L23162209:1
    LONDON, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Manchester United and Liverpool have condemned fans who attacked the ambulance carrying United midfielder Alan Smith to hospital after he broke a leg in Saturday's FA Cup tie at Anfield.

The ambulance was hit by missiles and rocked from side to side by a group of people outside the Liverpool ground, newspapers reported. "These people are not real fans of football or of Liverpool Football Club," the clubs said in a joint statement on the United website on Thursday.

"Manchester United were very impressed with and grateful for the speedy and efficient help of Liverpool staff.

"Both clubs feel that these are the mindless actions of a few idiots and they should not overshadow the efforts of all involved to make sure that Alan received the best treatment possible as quickly as possible."

Along with the leg break, Smith also suffered a dislocated ankle when the 25-year-old landed awkwardly after trying to block a shot in the fifth round tie, which United lost 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Does anyone know what actually happend. someone throw an egg at the ambergade, the fact that it isnt on the liverpool website just sounds like Man utd dirty tricks, trying to belittle liverpools win.

Well it certainly isn't that, the manager belittled the win. Some "fans" outside the ground attacked the ambulance that smith was in. I have no doubt that they will be caught, as said earlier there is so much CCTV around the ground by the police and the club that hey cannot hide. If they are Season ticket holders the tickets will be redistributed as has happned before and I can move up the list. Or if they had a ticket they will be banned form the ground in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Interesting 100% record. Some people will probably believe you too.

well i can't back it up with taped evidence;) Don't believe me, i won't lose any sleep. I can only tell you what i witnessed. lol

RuggieBear wrote:
    I can only tell you what i witnessed. lol
    A very apt "lol".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Personally, Im disappointed the way the media has chosen to report this whole saga. They could have reported on the way the Liverpool physio aided Uniteds, the ovation Smith recieved as he was carried off or the statement Smith himself issued thanking Pool fans for the ovation and the messages support he has recived from some, while mentioning that a ignorant minority were letting the side down. Instead they have made back page news out of this, some websites carry the story as if all Liverpool fans were involved. Its tarring us all with the same brush.
    This gang need to be recognised for what they are: a gang of violent yobs who happen to follow a football team. Just because the Football firms have largely been eliminated doesnt mean all dangerous elements have been scrapped off. The cops will be brought in and hopefully they will get their arses kicked.
    I wouldnt think any different if the situation was completley reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

DaBreno wrote:
    Personally, Im disappointed the way the media has chosen to report this whole saga.

Again, it's not a conspiracy. The news media is not engaged in 'pool bashing, they're commenting on what a disgrace this attack is which unfortunately more than overshadows the goodwill of the Liverpool physio and the majority of Liverpool fans who clapped Smith of the pitch (worth noting there was an audible minority who booed the stretcher).

stop the presses, we may have a motive for the attack. poor old Sure, bad timing.

http://www.surewildestfan.co.uk/TeamFans.aspx?TeamId=3

RuggieBear wrote:
    Apt? How so?

Didnt think it needed to be spelt out.

Apt, because I know you couldnt have witnessed fist fights involving GAA supporters at each and every one of the 5 Dublin games you have been to over the last 10 years. I think you may have seen one fight, and then just did the generalisation about "every Dublin game I've been to....." and then just made stuff up to back it up.

Some people will probably still believe you though, and as you said you won't lose any sleep over me not believing you, so we can just leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

theCzar wrote:
    (worth noting there was an audible minority who booed the stretcher).

Waiting to hear what the stretcher has to say about it..

sour grapes the whole lot of ye! This is great! so what if he got "attacked" LOL cant wait to see the "CCTV" coverage LOL real secret service stuff this !

bunch of gob****S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This is not secret service stuff Hash, there are bloody massive Yellow Police vans that say Smile Your on CCTV on them. They are all over the place and are highly visible being dayglo yellow and about 9 1/2' high.. Alot of the Mounted police carry recorders too. The perpetrators should be pilloried as is right.

Yeah but im waiting on the "connected" man utd fan that gets access to the CCTV coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Didnt think it needed to be spelt out.

Apt, because I know you couldnt have witnessed fist fights involving GAA supporters at each and every one of the 5 Dublin games you have been to over the last 10 years. I think you may have seen one fight, and then just did the generalisation about "every Dublin game I've been to....." and then just made stuff up to back it up.

Some people will probably still believe you though, and as you said you won't lose any sleep over me not believing you, so we can just leave it there.

how do you know...? Why would i lie? This is one of those "i saw what i saw, You don't believe me and you call me a liar as i can't back up what i've seen" problems.

At the 5 or so Dublin games i've been at i've seen fighting either right outside the stadium, on drumcondra ave or or on Gardiner street before/after the game. But tbh, i usually go to the hurling matches and i've defo seen much more violence on the pitch with those:)

But hell, you know i couldn't have witnessed any of that. lol.

At least, i've never seen anybody attack the ambulance at croker :D

ahh lads think of the stretchers....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Thats a ridiculous statement. Smith gets injured, the Liverpool team, staff and vast majority of the fans reacted with compassion. and clap him off the pitch A story gets out that Some fans outside the ground were acting the B*ll*cks. United release a statement saying how greatful they were etc.. and you think its man utd dirty tricks? What are United going to gain from releasing such a statement?

• Advertisement

ahh lads think of the stretchers....:rolleyes:

rolleyes is the lowest form of wit.

congratulations on the step up. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lads people keep saying the ambulance was attacked by 'fans'. It wasn't. It was attacked by a load of lads outside the ground, who may or may not have been wearing liverpool jerseys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the whole things a bit blown out of porportion imo..

anyone who attacks/obstructs an ambulance needs their head seen to. rivalry goes out the window in that sort of situation.

but utd/liverpool issuing statements etc is all a bit ott, of course they're going to criticise the lads in question, tbh i dont think statements have to be issued.

it's a matter for the police, all liverpool can do is ban the 'fans 'in question.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

And what is your source which says it is not liverpool fans but lads?

yop wrote:

I don't need a source, it's completely self-evident. If someone takes delight at a players injury - even Robbie Savage - or attacks an ambulance taking an injured player to hospital, then by definition they are not a football fan. These guys are just scumbags - they could have been anywhere, Manchester, London, Dublin, and done the same thing. For example, my mate James is an English football fan, and we always have a bit of banter over the international teams. But the guys who wrecked Landsdowne road were just arseholes in jerseys with tickets. Do you get my point?

Of course, given that this happened outside the ground, you can't even presume that they were at the game, or even knew who was inside the ambulance can you? It doesn't say any of that on the skynews website. Do you have a source for that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

What a debate. People are arguing just to be heard here.

yop wrote:
    If they were real liverpool fans they would have been inside the ground or at the nearest TV cheering their team on. As was said before anyone who throws stones at an ambulance is a thug and deserved to be punished doesnt matter if they're liverpool, United or just some little knacker on the street

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It states on SkySports.com
    He was immediately rushed to hospital, but some Liverpool fans attacked the ambulance during its journey away from the ground.

It states on soccernet.com
    Medical staff have expressed their revulsion at the behaviour of the Liverpool fans who threw missiles at the ambulance and directed chants 'Munich scum' towards Smith, who was receiving treatment after breaking his leg during United's 1-0 FA Cup defeat.

So does that not state it enough?

yop wrote:
    It states on SkySports.com
    He was immediately rushed to hospital, but some Liverpool fans attacked the ambulance during its journey away from the ground.

It doesn't really prove your point. How do we know they were liverpool fans? Were they wearing liverpool tops? Were they nicking car stereos? or were they just outside the ground as the ambulance left? I suppose "The ambulance was attacked by random punters outside the ground" doesn't raise up the rabble as easy.

It states on soccernet.com
    Medical staff have expressed their revulsion at the behaviour of the Liverpool fans who threw missiles at the ambulance and directed chants 'Munich scum' towards Smith, who was receiving treatment after breaking his leg during United's 1-0 FA Cup defeat.

So does that not state it enough?

I don't get how someone sitting in the stands throws a missle at an ambulance outside the ground. And as for "munich scum" - thats a pretty crappy defense, tbh. it goes on in every ground, and doesn't really back up the case you seem to be trying to make about LFC and their (genuine) fans

Its a pretty flimsy story, but it seems to be pushing your buttons, so no point arguing I guess

edit: right - I've just seen that smith left after the game finished, so probably - or at least presumably - the people outside had come from the inside.
    fair enough. forget what I said above - but obviously I stand by the point that these aren't "real" fans - however f2b among others have made that point better than me already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Tusky wrote:
    They dont ? heh.

You're making some pretty outragious statements in this thread pigman.

Yes you're right, where are my manners?

Georgie Best deserves Man of the Year for being a (twice convicted) drink-driver & wifebeater and the percentage road-based fatalaties where alcohol is a key factor isn't 40%

No problem tbh, not that news reports can be 100% accurate either!! Don't shoot the messenger kind of thing! ;)

rondeco wrote:
    What a debate. People are arguing just to be heard here.

So you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

let me see if I understand this correctly. Jump in if I'm losing anyone.

There's a football match and the Liverpool and Man Utd supporters (fans ? who the hell calls them "fans".. it's not a ****in boyband) are INSIDE AT THE MATCH.

But somehow they were also OUTSIDE the ground and did this ?

If that's the case then all of us "Republic of Ireland" 'fans' (sigh) are scumbags too because at the last home international in Lansdowne Road there were a few cars broken into. The same logic must apply musn't it ? (actually don't answer that because you're not going to change my mind). I feel so. Dirty. Guilty. Dirty and guilty.

Jesus children stop believing the crap that these alleged news organizations are spouting. This is a non-story. Some scumbags did this. Not anyone affiliated with either football club.

shabbyroad wrote:
    let me see if I understand this correctly. Jump in if I'm losing anyone.

There's a football match and the Liverpool and Man Utd supporters (fans ? who the hell calls them "fans".. it's not a ****in boyband) are INSIDE AT THE MATCH.

But somehow they were also OUTSIDE the ground and did this ?

If that's the case then all of us "Republic of Ireland" 'fans' (sigh) are scumbags too because at the last home international in Lansdowne Road there were a few cars broken into. The same logic must apply musn't it ? (actually don't answer that because you're not going to change my mind). I feel so. Dirty. Guilty. Dirty and guilty.

Jesus children stop believing the crap that these alleged news organizations are spouting. This is a non-story. Some scumbags did this. Not anyone affiliated with either football club.

Listen very carefully to what I'm about to say, I know it's all been covered already but you've obviously not been paying attention.

The Ambulance left the ground AFTER the match, so therefore the "fans" that were INSIDE the ground were by that stage OUTSIDE the ground.

It's not very difficult to understand really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

BaZmO* wrote:
    Listen very carefully to what I'm about to say, I know it's all been covered already but you've obviously not been paying attention.

The Ambulance left the ground AFTER the match, so therefore the "fans" that were INSIDE the ground were by that stage OUTSIDE the ground.

It's not very difficult to understand really.

No you're wrong.
    I'm paying closer attention than you.

Read back through the thread. Follow all the links to the "news" reports - they all rehash the same agency story so it won't take long.

Where does it say that the ambulance left the ground AFTER the match ?

I think you'll find this is all that is said:

Skysports (that bastion of reportage)
    Manchester United and Liverpool have issued a joint statement condemning an attack on the ambulance that transported Alan Smith to hospital.

The England international suffered a badly broken leg and dislocated ankle during United's weekend FA Cup defeat to Liverpool at Anfield.

"These people aren't real fans of football," United and Liverpool said in the statement.

"Both clubs feel the mindless actions of a few idiots should not overshadow the efforts of all involved to make sure Alan received the best possible treatment as soon as possible.

"Manchester United would also like to point out they are very grateful for the speedy and efficient help of all Liverpool staff."

A spokesman for the Merseyside ambulance trust confirmed the attack, saying: "It did not result in any delay in transferring the player to hospital but the trust cannot condone this type of behaviour while administering emergency treatment."
    Hmm. nothing there.

No. Wait. Maybe it's in the Reuters report you quoted. Let's see:
    LONDON, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Manchester United and Liverpool have condemned fans who attacked the ambulance carrying United midfielder Alan Smith to hospital after he broke a leg in Saturday's FA Cup tie at Anfield.

The ambulance was hit by missiles and rocked from side to side by a group of people outside the Liverpool ground, newspapers reported. "These people are not real fans of football or of Liverpool Football Club," the clubs said in a joint statement on the United website on Thursday.

"Manchester United were very impressed with and grateful for the speedy and efficient help of Liverpool staff.

"Both clubs feel that these are the mindless actions of a few idiots and they should not overshadow the efforts of all involved to make sure that Alan received the best treatment possible as quickly as possible."

Along with the leg break, Smith also suffered a dislocated ankle when the 25-year-old landed awkwardly after trying to block a shot in the fifth round tie, which United lost 1-0.

Hmm. No. Not there either.

That kinda pisses on your strawberries doesn't it ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Fraid not mate - what time of the match did he get injured? Injury time - that would be close to the end of the game - this is the time when fans leave the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

shabbyroad wrote:
    No you're wrong.
    I'm paying closer attention than you.

Read back through the thread. Follow all the links to the "news" reports - they all rehash the same agency story so it won't take long.

Where does it say that the ambulance left the ground AFTER the match ?

I think you'll find this is all that is said:

Skysports (that bastion of reportage)

Hmm. nothing there.

No. Wait. Maybe it's in the Reuters report you quoted. Let's see:

Hmm. No. Not there either.

Read back on my post, of course the fans where out of the ground! They will not rush a player straight off the pitch and dump him straight into an ambulance, Firstly because any ambulance at the ground will be for the local general in case a "fan" get an injury. Man Utd will have a contract with a private hospital so they would have rang for them to pick him up, Smith would not have been sent to the local general.

Also because the injury was so bad he would have been kept in the dressing room/dopc rooms for a while to stabilse to makre sure he was ok to travel, if your leg is hanging off and your just dumped into an ambulance which would be travelling at high speed through Sat shopping traffic it would move with the ambulance causing alot of pain. They would have strapped up, gave him pain killers, got him ready to travel and then move him. This could take a long period

Second, the bloody game was over when the injury happened, he was taken off in injury time, you see how fast it takes those grounds to clear? after most game Sky will have a break and by the time it get back to the Sky team the ground is more or less clear. Also some fans leave early to miss the rush.

Some people havent got a clue what they are talking about:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

This thread is pretty pointless really. All it is is a chance for the defeated Man U fans to have a moan about Liverpool, the team that won the game, the reigning Champions Of Europe, winners of it 5 times no less, the 18 times winners of the League, etc., etc.

Shut up moaning and concentrate on the mighty Carling Cup, the last time you made the Final you were beaten by..... wait for it......who was it.....? Oh yeah, that Liverpool crowd again !

shabbyroad wrote:
    No, not at all. I thought that through a process of common sense and analysis of the facts that it was safe to assume that the Ambulance left the ground after the match was finished? Especially considering the fact that Smith got injured in what, the 85th minute? Something that had been explained several times on this thread by other posters.

The fact is, the ambulance was attacked by Liverpool fans, albeit Scumbag fans, but Liverpool fans nonetheless. Now that is not to say that it wouldn't have happened at any other ground or by any other (minority) of opposing fans, it most certainly would. Scumbags are everywhere.

If you want to believe that there is some big conspiracy against Liverpool FC and their fans, you work away.

BolBill wrote:
    This thread is pretty pointless really. All it is is a chance for the defeated Man U fans to have a moan about Liverpool, the team that won the game, the reigning Champions Of Europe, winners of it 5 times no less, the 18 times winners of the League, etc., etc.

Shut up moaning and concentrate on the mighty Carling Cup, the last time you made the Final you were beaten by..... wait for it......who was it.....? Oh yeah, that Liverpool crowd again !

The thread is made pointless by posts like that trying to get a rise from Utd fans, grow up!

If the point of the thread is "Liverpool FC have their share of scumbaggy fans" - case proved.

If the point of the thread is "Liverpool FC fans are more scumbaggy than other teams" - case not proved.

In fairness to yop, I think he was going for the former.

edit: I'm a Liverpool fan btw

tbh wrote:
    If the point of the thread is "Liverpool FC have their share of scumbaggy fans" - case proved.

If the point of the thread is "Liverpool FC fans are more scumbaggy than other teams" - case not proved.

In fairness to yop, I think he was going for the former.

edit: I'm a Liverpool fan btw

agree with this, Every club has a shower of thugs who claim to be supporters. It will always be this way. We could argue all day about which team has the most thug supporters. If you want my opinion on it i'd say it'd have to be leeds LOL, only joking!

ps. i wont be replying to any disgruntled leeds fans so dont bother posting back, it was a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Lads will ye grow up ffs. Liverpool fc have condemed those scum bag fans who aparently blocked the ambulance. Those fans are not real footy fans.

Even alan smith has thanked liverpool personally for the speedy way they treated him. Its all on the liverpool website if anyone cares to read facts.

agree with this, Every club has a shower of thugs who claim to be supporters. It will always be this way. We could argue all day about which team has the most thug supporters. If you want my opinion on it i'd say it'd have to be leeds LOL, only joking!

ps. i wont be replying to any disgruntled leeds fans so dont bother posting back, it was a joke!

Leeds? group of pussies! lmao! Shef Wed fans are harder then them lot!!

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Leeds? group of pussies! lmao! Shef Wed fans are harder then them lot!!

What all 6 of them?. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    The thread is made pointless by posts like that trying to get a rise from Utd fans, grow up!
    Hello Mr Pot.

p.pete wrote:
    Hello Mr Pot.

How did you know my name? also I wasn't trying to get a rise from Liverpool fans, just Liverpool can't take any criticism about there club. Liverpool fans have a problem not me! if you cant discuss a subject while taking a non-biased view really you shouldnt bother using a soccer forum. There is plenty of Liverpool ones out there!
    What all 6 of them?. :)

Think you will find that Shef Wed have a huge support and are one of the best supported teams outside the PL. In fact have more season ticket holders than a good few PL teams, Blackburn, West Brom etc. We also had a bigger average home fans at games in the old Second Division than Juventas had at any home game during the whole season including Europe

Problem in Ireland is there is 2 many glory hunter fans, see the influx of Liverpool fans on here since they won the Champions League:rolleyes:

Also alot less Utd fans now and alot more Chelsea fans, glory hunters all flock after a club that has won something

Big Nelly wrote:
    Think you will find that Shef Wed have a huge support and are one of the best supported teams outside the PL. In fact have more season ticket holders than a good few PL teams, Blackburn, West Brom etc. We also had a bigger average home fans at games in the old Second Division than Juventas had at any home game during the whole season including Europe

Problem in Ireland is there is 2 many glory hunter fans, see the influx of Liverpool fans on here since they won the Champions League:rolleyes:

Also alot less Utd fans now and alot more Chelsea fans, glory hunters all flock after a club that has won something

Nelly, I was having a laugh! The thread was getting ridiculous. I dont doubt Wednesday are a big club.
    Incidently, i'm a United fan always have been and always will. If they got relegated next season I'd still be a United fan and i'd still try to catch a few games at old trafford each year, I'd still buy their jersey and i'd still be inconsolable when we lose to our rivals. (like last week). it doesnt matter to me who owns the club, who's the manager or what players are playin for them, i'd still support my team.

Big Nelly wrote:

Wow! You should be a statistician or something. More noise from supporters of teams that are doing well? Well who'd have thunk it!

I'm sure I did a lot more crowing about Bohs when we were winning leagues and doing well in Europe than I do now. Just because I'm not broadcasting my every waking thought about them now doesn't mean I don't still support them, go to their games or that I've suddenly become a Cork City supporter just because they are the top team atm.

(As for the Juventus tidbit, that's laughable. Anytime I've seen them on TV their ground is about 90% empty).

Big Nelly wrote:
    How did you know my name? also I wasn't trying to get a rise from Liverpool fans, just Liverpool can't take any criticism about there club. Liverpool fans have a problem not me! if you cant discuss a subject while taking a non-biased view really you shouldnt bother using a soccer forum. There is plenty of Liverpool ones out there!
    Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.
    I'm a Liverpool fan and I feel there are plenty of non liverpool fans that would say that I'm capable of being impartial. Also I'll agree that there's Liverpool fans who can't take criticism, certainly not all or most of them though.
    Siimilarly other clubs have fans who both accept criticism and others who don't accept criticism.

For the large part I think most Liverpool fans are quite self-critical of the club. You're criticisms don't seem to be about Liverpool most of the time though, they seem quite often aimed at Liverpool fans as opposed to the club. There's plenty wrong with the club, as with most clubs and theres plenty of fans with something wrong with them, as with most clubs fans.

As most of your remarks are aimed at the fans and not the club, why shouldn't we turn around and tell you you're being ignorant, childish and whatever other words that will prompt you to report this post as insulting towards you? You tar a whole group of people the same way and that whole group should have every right to put you in your place.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Wow! You should be a statistician or something. More noise from supporters of teams that are doing well? Well who'd have thunk it!

I did a lot more crowing when Bohs when they were winning than I do now. Doesn't mean I don't still support them at games now or that I'm suddenly a Cork City supporter now just because they are the top team atm.

(As for the Juventus tidbit, that's laughable. Anytime I've seen them on TV their ground is 90% empty, but well done all the same).

No Statistician here, has been mentioned many times on Sky/BBC etc about the huge support the team receives even after all the cr*p they have had to endure thru the last few seasons. Shows the real fans support there clubs thru thick and thin, not just jump onto the glory hunter bandwagon

Though the Juve bit was good, just threw it in to show that a major CL game in Italy cant attrach the same fans Shef Wed get in a game against Rotherham! impressive if you think about it!

In regards to glory hunter fans, just to show in the good days at Shef Wed there used to be a supports club in Dublin run and had meetings, because I was a young lad and lived it Cavan never managed to get to a meeting, but since there relagation this has gone, supporter numbers are gone to a stage there is only 5-6 lads on here that are followers of Shef Wed. Next we will start having the Shef Utd fan club if they get back into the PL. Joke.
    p.pete wrote:
    Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.
    I'm a Liverpool fan and I feel there are plenty of non liverpool fans that would say that I'm capable of being impartial. Also I'll agree that there's Liverpool fans who can't take criticism, certainly not all or most of them though.
    Siimilarly other clubs have fans who both accept criticism and others who don't accept criticism.

For the large part I think most Liverpool fans are quite self-critical of the club. You're criticisms don't seem to be about Liverpool most of the time though, they seem quite often aimed at Liverpool fans as opposed to the club. There's plenty wrong with the club, as with most clubs and theres plenty of fans with something wrong with them, as with most clubs fans.

As most of your remarks are aimed at the fans and not the club, why shouldn't we turn around and tell you you're being ignorant, childish and whatever other words that will prompt you to report this post as insulting towards you? You tar a whole group of people the same way and that whole group should have every right to put you in your place.

I dont report threads! end of story! did once a while back on Motors forum and reaction I got from a so called mod made me give up that idea!!

Im not taring everyone as you say! if you read back I mentioned that Shef Wed have problems within there own fans but we can realise this. Read back through this whole thread and see the number of fans that completely deny that it was Liverpool fans, look to top of the page to see the most recent

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont report threads! end of story! did once a while back on Motors forum and reaction I got from a so called mod made me give up that idea!!
    I do, sometimes it's deserved.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Im not taring everyone as you say! if you read back I mentioned that Shef Wed have problems within there own fans but we can realise this. Read back through this whole thread and see the number of fans that completely deny that it was Liverpool fans, look to top of the page to see the most recent
    I'm not talking about Smith or the reaction to it - I think we're all in agreement that what happened was criminal and deserves to be treated as such. It's more your insinuation at every chance that Liverpool fans don't accept criticism (look at me getting all narky now ;))
    Big Nelly wrote:
    just Liverpool can't take any criticism about there club. Liverpool fans have a problem not me!
    is consistant of the type of tripe that is regularly posted by you. It's no wonder that there's several people veering towards vitriol.

p.pete wrote:
    is consistant of the type of tripe that is regularly posted by you. It's no wonder that there's several people veering towards vitriol.

Tripe? read the top of the page for a full on denial that it was Liverpool fans. great tripe that when my post is verified in the same page on here!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    No Statistician here, has been mentioned many times on Sky/BBC etc about the huge support the team receives even after all the cr*p they have had to endure thru the last few seasons. Shows the real fans support there clubs thru thick and thin, not just jump onto the glory hunter bandwagon
    Well as I understand it SheffWed currently get around 23k per game in 'Div2'. By comparison when ManU were relegated in the 70's they pulling average attendances 48k the season they spent in Div2. But they (and comparable clubs like Liverpool) don't have 'real support' according to you?
    Though the Juve bit was good, just threw it in to show that a major CL game in Italy cant attrach the same fans Shef Wed get in a game against Rotherham! impressive if you think about it!
    Maybe people in Turin have better things to be doing that people in Sheffield.

Big Nelly wrote:
    In regards to glory hunter fans, just to show in the good days at Shef Wed there used to be a supports club in Dublin run and had meetings, because I was a young lad and lived it Cavan never managed to get to a meeting, but since there relagation this has gone, supporter numbers are gone to a stage there is only 5-6 lads on here that are followers of Shef Wed. Next we will start having the Shef Utd fan club if they get back into the PL. Joke.

Well, I'd put it to you that those 'fans' are in the same catagory as the 'fans' who attacked the ambulance - i.e. not real fans.

Fair enough?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement