Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pure Arrogance

Options
  • 23-02-2006 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

This morning I witnessed something which really got on my nerves. I am sure it happens all the time... Driving along the rock road this morning. Some twat in his 2.0L Saab comes out of a side road to turn right and sticks his nose out on to the rock road... ok so his bonnet is long and he needs to see down the road... The traffic was heavy on my side - but I watched in amazement as he stuck the front of the car out to the point where a car coming from his right had to stop because it couldnt get past - there was no reversing back either - he was coming out if it meant traffic on both sides had to stop. I hate this expectation that someone will let you out just because you drive a big f*ckoff car... I personally would have beeped him out of it until he reversed back in and waited. There were no cars behind him so he could have reversed.
    Sorry - but I had to get that out of my system.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's times like that you need to express your pent up road rage :D

Throw an egg at him next time. Ideally a raw one.

p.s. On a journey of about 1 mile this morning I noted 13 people chatting on hand held mobiles. A record in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

A saab is not a big car, nor is it flash. He probably finds from experience that Irish road user are fairly ignorant, and dont ever let him out, so he does it the only way that works.
    Courtesy on Irish roads doesnt really exist. So you gotta be offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

You can be pretty sure he's tried to be polite and was sitting there for 2 hours waiting for someone to let him out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If everybody let one person out on their respective journeys the traffic would be so much better. And something you will notice is that people driving 'flash' cars are less likely to be let out of junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Kersh wrote:

As bad as it his here, it's non-existant in other countries. In Holland for example, the only way you can change lanes on a busy motorway is to indicate, and just go for the tiniest gap forcing the car who's 'letting you in' to slow down to avoid an accident. And it's not like they do it on purpose, or get angry when you make the move, thats just the way it is. I was in Brussels before, slowing down to let a car turn left in front of me, and everyone behind him just followed, despite the fact that I was only letting him go, the just kept coming!Nuts.
    Also, there is no acknowledgement if you let someone in, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

He could have just turned left and done a u-turn later on. I'd imagine that his decision to block the road was predicated on the assumption that he could get away with it. Perhaps that assumption should have been challenged?

Onkle51 - you are dead right, and i find Women drivers and Bmw 5 series drivers the worst offenders for not letting people in/merge with them, or let them out into traffic.

"And something you will notice is that people driving 'flash' cars are less likely to be let out of junctions"

In all honesty, I wouldn't generally let a 4x4 out in front of me. If I wanted to be able to see nothing I'd paint over my windscreen...

Always remember, 'dont fight with vehicles bigger than you, you will come off worse' :D
    Trust me when i say truck drivers live by this rule.

"Always remember, 'dont fight with vehicles bigger than you, you will come off worse' "

In my experience, the deciding factor is not the size of the vehicle but the percieved willingness of the driver to hit the other car. If someone feels that you actually will hit them, they will almost always back off. This holds true for trucks, buses, jcbs, pretty much all vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 mickeyluv

[ Also, there is no acknowledgement if you let someone in, ever.[/QUOTE]

I usually get 2-3 Flashing Hazards of an acknowledgement if I let someone in. If I can reach a daily target of 10 flashes then that's my good driving deed done for each day.

Makes me feel good that I've helped others on the road.

My 2 cents.

Mic.

Exactly my point Anan - most truck drivers (and i have driven with a few), drive with this attitude. Thats why you should never fight them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

That's one thing I've been irritated a lot by recently, the lack of acknowledgement when you let someone out or whatever. Most people will respond, but it annoys me when someone doesn't, a flash of the hazards doesn't cost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I've slowed down to let someone out at a set of lights (where there's 2nd set on red 50 yards further down the road) and been flashed by an ignorant tosser behind me on occasion - does that count? :D

As a general rule I'll let people in/out where it's safe to do so. People with half their car out across the hard shoulder are just taking a dangerous risk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

blastman wrote:
    That's one thing I've been irritated a lot by recently, the lack of acknowledgement when you let someone out or whatever. Most people will respond, but it annoys me when someone doesn't, a flash of the hazards doesn't cost anything.

Yep - I am the same - sometime I will actually flash them and when they look in their rear-view mirror I wave at them instead :D maybe the next time, the ignorant pox might say thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

blastman wrote:

Thats the one thing that annoys me is people acknowledging your good deed.

I don't need a box of roses and and thank you card, I've let you in/out now get on with it, please do not flash your hazards or what ever it is that you do, just get on with it and drive....

Its distracting for other people 100 or 200 meters down the road who see hazards on in front of them and wonder what the hell is going on, is the an accident, obstruction, speed check....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

comanche wrote:
    Thats the one thing that annoys me is people acknowledging your good deed.

I don't need a box of roses and and thank you card, I've let you in/out now get on with it, please do not flash your hazards or what ever it is that you do, just get on with it and drive....

Its distracting for other people 100 or 200 meters down the road who see hazards on in front of them and wonder what the hell is going on, is the an accident, obstruction, speed check....

A bit of courtesy never hurt... you sound like one of those arrogant types to me... Do you flash people from behind on a motorway to say get out of my way too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Drax wrote:
    This morning I witnessed something which really got on my nerves. I am sure it happens all the time... Driving along the rock road this morning. Some twat in his 2.0L Saab comes out of a side road to turn right and sticks his nose out on to the rock road... ok so his bonnet is long and he needs to see down the road... The traffic was heavy on my side - but I watched in amazement as he stuck the front of the car out to the point where a car coming from his right had to stop because it couldnt get past - there was no reversing back either - he was coming out if it meant traffic on both sides had to stop. I hate this expectation that someone will let you out just because you drive a big f*ckoff car... I personally would have beeped him out of it until he reversed back in and waited. There were no cars behind him so he could have reversed.
    Sorry - but I had to get that out of my system.

Problem on the road is that drivers like you wont let cars pull out, this does my head in

Drax wrote:
    A bit of courtesy never hurt... you sound like one of those arrogant types to me... Do you flash people from behind on a motorway to say get out of my way too?

I sound arrogant because I don't expect someone to ackowlege me letting them out?

I just think that its petty to expect an ack... I also think that its distracting to other road users, its a bad practise in my opinion. It seems to be something that has started recently along with people with their fog lights (not head lights which is a good practise) on all the time.

Its generally a poor practise, thats not what hazards are for, there's a hint in the name as to what their use is.

comanche wrote:
    I sound arrogant because I don't expect someone to ackowlege me letting them out?

I just think that its petty to expect an ack... I also think that its distracting to other road users, its a bad practise in my opinion. It seems to be something that has started recently along with people with their fog lights (not head lights which is a good practise) on all the time.

Its generally a poor practise, thats not what hazards are for, there's a hint in the name as to what their use is.

further to this is is your duty as a road user to be courtious to other users so why expect anything back in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Did you get a punch in the face for Christmas or something?

When you let someone in, they are right in front of you (obviously). The chances of a car any further back seeing a brief flash of hazards is pretty slim. Holding a hand up is another prefectly acceptable way of saying thanks if flashing hazards is too dangerous. If someone holds a door open for you, you don't barge through and say nothing, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I do my driving around Sligo so we dont really have the traffic issue as bad as most of you guys, but I don find when in Dublin that you get nothing for being shy so I see his point of holding up the road rather than waiting for an age for someone to let him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

blastman wrote:
    Did you get a punch in the face for Christmas or something?

When you let someone in, they are right in front of you (obviously). The chances of a car any further back seeing a brief flash of hazards is pretty slim. Holding a hand up is another prefectly acceptable way of saying thanks if flashing hazards is too dangerous. If someone holds a door open for you, you don't barge through and say nothing, do you?

Here here, I think it's very simple and courteous behavoiur on the road..For example if a truck moves over to let me past on a main road i'll flash hazard lights in thanks, why,.... because he's sitting 10 foot of the road and cant see through my roof for a wave. And if a driver is unable to distinguish between a flash of the hazards for courtesy and a possible blockage or danger on the road ahead then maybe the road is not the best place for ya.

Kersh wrote:

Sorry thats bollox.

Kermitt wrote:
    Here here, I think it's very simple and courteous behavoiur on the road..For example if a truck moves over to let me past on a main road i'll flash hazard lights in thanks, why,.... because he's sitting 10 foot of the road and cant see through my roof for a wave. And if a driver is unable to distinguish between a flash of the hazards for courtesy and a possible blockage or danger on the road ahead then maybe the road is not the best place for ya.

I think that you all didn't get enough hugs as children that you all expect this sort of thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I get really wound up when someone doesn't acknowledge you going out of your way to let them pull out of a junction etc... I just stick my hand up though if I'm let out.

I do try and go out of my way to let people pull out at junctions, but some people do take the piss. On the North Circular yesterday, approaching Phibsboro, I slowed down to allow someone to take a right turn, then let someone out who was taking a left turn from the same junction and going in my direction. Some biddy in a Punto decided to try and drive out straight in front of me from the same junction and then decided to throw a wobbly because I hadn't allowed her out. :rolleyes:

Anyway, a bit of courtesy goes a long way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I think being courteous and acknowledging it in return is a positive thing that can rub off on other road users. If this kind of thing rubs comanche up the wrong way then that's her/his problem but I think one day the love out there on the roads will finally penetrate that tough no-nonsense exterior ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think most people are pretty courteous on the roads, and whenever I let someone one I get a wave or flash. I don't see any harm in it. On the other hand people who try to force themselves into my lane without indicators tend to get a sharp blast of the horn.

I have found though that middle aged women never give an inch...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So in your driving tests how many people did you wave at or "let off"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

el tel wrote:
    I think being courteous and acknowledging it in return is a positive thing that can rub off on other road users. If this kind of thing rubs comanche up the wrong way then that's her/his problem but I think one day the love out there on the roads will finally penetrate that tough no-nonsense exterior ;)

Feel the love on the roads people :v:

Advertisement