Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pure Arrogance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭comanche_cor

el tel wrote:
    I think being courteous and acknowledging it in return is a positive thing that can rub off on other road users. If this kind of thing rubs comanche up the wrong way then that's her/his problem but I think one day the love out there on the roads will finally penetrate that tough no-nonsense exterior ;)

I let people out constantly - <aside infact my gf slags me off coz 2 mins later I am often cursing the person I just let out for holding me up>

And infact I have been know to dish out the odd wave, must have taken the wrong pills on those days :), but flashing of hazards drives me to distraction...

think I should change car - my megane doesn't match my though no nonsense exterior! :)

I can't wait for the day that some muppet has a tip while distracted fiddling around for the hazards ... they won't even have to put them on after they crash, poetic justice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yeah, that's justice all right! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a professional driver I have to laugh, if you can't cope with hazzards being flashed once or twice then, as stated get off the road! I always say thanks with my hazzards as I drive a van with no rear view.

I also have been known to "barge" my way out into traffic though not without first judging whether I'll loose my front end doing so!

Funny thing is most people get what your are doing and slow down enough to let you out without any drama which is how it should be.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

I generally do try to be nice to fellow road users, for my own good as much as theirs (being a bas***d on the road for two hours a day can be stressful).

I also try to give extra extra consideration to anyone who drives for a living.

I like to see drivers acknowledge me when I let them out. I always do so myself, BUT if I remember a car that didn't say thanks next time they will get nowt from me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I will let other traffic out when possible etc however i very rarely will let out 4x4 or vans/trucks as my car is very low to the ground and when im behind any of these i have serious problems seeing anything, especially at roundabouts. So for everyones safety id rather be in front of these if possible ;) I will always put my hazards on for anyone being nice to me on the road. Especially when a truck goes out of the way to ensure a safe pass. Ive started doing the flick the indicators once either way as a thank you too, i find this easier and just as effective.

Although for the first time a few weeks ago i passed someone out who had pulled over into the hard shoulder, which was a large well surfaced area to enable me to pass, i then used my hazards as a quick thank you, he flashed me as a thank you back and then the muppet in the car coming towards us (who i will add was far enough away and was certainly in no danger of anything) flashed me for passing. He was too quick to assume the guy behind me was 'angry' at my passing out and he jumped on the bandwagon. However if he had been a bit more observant he would have seent he guy move over for me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

ppl in this country seem to have enough problems as it is using indicators and making safe maouvres without using hazards, nothing wrong with a wave of the hand... In any case as someone said, would you flash or put on your hazards in the driving test?

IIRC there was a post here about a 6/7 months back about someone who caused and accident by flashing someone coming in on coming traffic to turn at junction without realising the was a car coming on his inside lane. In my opinion use your signals for what they are intended and nothing else and that way you don't get yourself into trouble.

If you are iirked by someone not ack'ing your good jestuture then you are too soft to be on the road! Your pay back is when someone does a good turn to you not when someone turns on their hazards.

@Funxy - I don't think that ppl who have done something dangerous to let you in/out/pass should be thanked - like pulling into a hard shoulder, its not illegal in other countries for nothing (and about to be here).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Kersh wrote:
    Bmw 5 series drivers the worst offenders for not letting people in/merge with them, or let them out into traffic.
    Sorry, we're too preoccupied with our positively ginormous cocks. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

comanche wrote:
    @Funxy - I don't think that ppl who have done something dangerous to let you in/out/pass should be thanked - like pulling into a hard shoulder, its not illegal in other countries for nothing (and about to be here).

I shall gladly sit behind a tractor on the N9 all the way from Kilcullen to Castledermot so because it may be illegal for him to move over 8 feet so traffic can pass. On roads like this there is such a volume of traffic you may not be able to pass normally. By this reckoning my frequent trips to Tullow could take up to 2 hours instead of 35 min. Fun Fun Fun!

Anyway i think more peole than not would be glad of acknowledgement for a simple act.

Kermitt wrote:
    I shall gladly sit behind a tractor on the N9 all the way from Kilcullen to Castledermot so because it may be illegal for him to move over 8 feet so traffic can pass. On roads like this there is such a volume of traffic you may not be able to pass normally. By this reckoning my frequent trips to Tullow could take up to 2 hours instead of 35 min. Fun Fun Fun!

this if off topic but why whould someone have to pull in to let other people perform a safe overtaking manouvre? Sure if there is nothing coming the opposite way then there is not need to pull in? Are you suggesting that you bully your way out into on coming traffic and then thank someone for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

this if off topic but why whould someone have to pull in to let other people perform a safe overtaking manouvre? Sure if there is nothing coming the opposite way then there is not need to pull in? Are you suggesting that you bully your way out into on coming traffic and then thank someone for that?

I was refferring to slow moving vehicles on busy single lane two way roads where there is no sufficient gap in oncoming traffic to safely overtake in the opposite lane. Most tractor drivers would pull aside and let cars pass instead of having us all drive at 40kph. If this were to be illegal i would be wondering what may become of journeys. To answer your question i will only overtake when safe to do so.

But if someone does pull aside to allow cars pass i will flash my hazards in thanks (thereby causing a 24 car pile up on the N9 every time I do so :v: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Anan1 wrote:
    "Always remember, 'dont fight with vehicles bigger than you, you will come off worse' "

In my experience, the deciding factor is not the size of the vehicle but the percieved willingness of the driver to hit the other car. If someone feels that you actually will hit them, they will almost always back off. This holds true for trucks, buses, jcbs, pretty much all vehicles.

That's the way I drive now. If someone is agressive and trying to force their way in I won't back off. I don't care if they hit me. Aaaa, that fully protected no claims discount is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

In fairness kermitt is making a valid point. There is nothing dangerous about a tractor (or fully loaded truck) pulling in to allow faster verhicles overtake, and it is nice to acknowledge the trouble the driver of the slow vehicle went to. And having often driving a tractor I can assure you the hard shoulder is often somewhere I dont like to be (potholes, too narrow etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Right just my point, I drive alot which I have mentioned on here before, the majority of the time on the N3 and because this road is brutal for passing in alot of spots and also the lack of hard shoulders means you could be stuck behind a long line of traffic, if a lorry lets me past I will also give 2-3 flashs of the indicators just to say thanks

Also at weekend was coming into Carnaross and a lorry was on way out, lorry went to pass this dope going no mile an hour and next thing the driver in the car floors it, to save a problem I just move over into hard shoulder to give lorry drive that extra bit of space is case he needed it. He didnt but a nice wave of the hand to say Thanks from the lorry driver makes it worth while

Also the OP, the problem with Dublin is people driving around afraid for there own life in case they show some manners and let someone out, it amazes me to this day the way people block up any entrance just to get 5 yards closer to the next car instead of sitting back and leaving the entrance open. Not like it is going to take a long time off your journey! if you did let people out it would prob end up causing less traffic problems.

best I seen was the usual crap on the Blanch roundabout, everyone coming out of town havent a clue what a red light is, so the lights go red and of course you have 4-5 smart arses that go thru the lights but get stuck at the next set about 10 yards on from where they where supposed to stop, this usually then ends up with people trying to get into Blanch not being able to because you have 3-4 gobs**ts blocking up the whole road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

comanche wrote:

As i said the hard shoulder was perfectly surfaced. Unfortunatly we have 0 overtaking stretches with two lanes like they do in alot of countries which allows you to get past that mirca doing 50km on a 100km stretch of road. I would never endanger anyone by passing out if they pulled in slightly if i didnt judge it was completly safe to do so even tho they have judge it is. Like i said on another thread not long ago whats the problem with doing this in the safest possible way as the car infront is then free of anyone behind him, i will pass out and continue on my way and both cars are happy with a clear road either side of them. I will always pull over if i judge it safe to do so if a car behind me wants to travel at a speed greater then my own, i know id rather have him in front and off on his merry way, then tagging along behind me.

Also in fairness how many times have you come up to a massive tailback of cars due to one slow car at the front, i believe if more roads had safe hard shoulders this would be excellent becuase after a while the 10+ cars behind that car going half the speed limit will start to get annoyed and possibly do overtaking manuvours which are unsafe and they generally wouldnt do. All this is not city driving, its more long journey country driving. But i do understand if you dont mind being stuck behind the micra or tractor, but im sure youve also seen those muppets who wont pass the tractor/painstakingly slow vehicle but stay on their ass so noone else can pass out either. So i fully believe in the hard shoulder at safe times and it dosnt hurt anyone to pull slightly over so that they can enjoy their slow relaxing drive unhindered.

P.s to those who mentioned would you flash your hazards in your driving test. No i wouldnt, but i also wouldnt look in my mirrors once every 4seconds either (i look in them alot but not so much that you lose concentration to the road too). I also do wave cars out if im in traffic, which you also cant do. And sometimes i even drive with my hands not placed perfectly at the top of the wheel :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

as cliched as it sounds, taxi drivers are really by far the worst / arrogrant drivers EVER imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This sounds like the junction with St. Helen's Road. It is a nightmare for emerging traffic turning right towards Blackrock. It is worse when the box junction there is obstructed.

It gets funnier as you get nearer Merrion Gates. The Caritas convalescent home has traffic doing a similar turn. Funny thing is that there is a big sign painted on the footpath - not the road - telling emerging traffic NOT to turn right. So, what do they do ? Yes, turn right.

Just remember that use of the road RARELY involves absolute rights. All road users are expected to put up with some measure of delay and inconvenience. It is called give and take. It is also called roadcraft, a skill singularly lacking these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Kermitt wrote:
    I was refferring to slow moving vehicles on busy single lane two way roads where there is no sufficient gap in oncoming traffic to safely overtake in the opposite lane. Most tractor drivers would pull aside and let cars pass instead of having us all drive at 40kph. If this were to be illegal i would be wondering what may become of journeys. To answer your question i will only overtake when safe to do so.

But if someone does pull aside to allow cars pass i will flash my hazards in thanks (thereby causing a 24 car pile up on the N9 every time I do so :v: )

As someone who has a lot of experience driving tractors in the Dublin area, I would have often been reluctant to pull over to allow traffic to pass simply because it can be almost impossible to get back out into the road again - no one want's a tractor in front of them.

Re blocking traffic when turning right - try approaching a junction in a tractor with a front loaded implement. The driver could be sitting 5 metres back from the front end of the vehicle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I drive through dublin city center every day. In my experience its very rare for anyone to let you out. (For some reason females, bikers or cyclists never let you out. Whats that all about?) In some countries you have to give way to people joining from side roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'll always let people out providing:
    They have their indicator on
    Aren't on a mobile
    There is traffic behind me
    There is no approaching traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

cormie wrote:
    I'll always let people out providing:
    They have their indicator on
    Aren't on a mobile
    There is traffic behind me
    There is no approaching traffic

Re Indicators - How do you know they are on if the vehicle is coming from a road on your left and turning left ?- you can't see the far side of the vehicle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah I know, that's why I bolded always;)

If I can't see them and the other circumstances are ok, then I'll probably let them out;)

Advertisement