Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Mock help

Options
  • 23-02-2006 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anybody do their physics mock exam? Any guidance welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

yeah I'll help you out later about to do my business mock:(, If you could help me out with applied maths, ag science, classical studies or higher level maths paper 2 I'd appreciate it! (I know weird subjects) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ramfan5

Sorry i cant really help you out that much.There is a good thread on higher level maths though, you should look that up!

Section A.

Q1 - Experiment to Verify Newton's second law of motion (F proportional to a)

Q2 - experiment to plot the calibration curve of a thermometer
    what measurments were recorded by the student?
    draw a labelled giagram of the apparatus.
    what steps does the student take to calibrate the alcohol thermometer?
    how pressure increase affects the results?
    Draw a possible calibration curve for the alcohol thermometer.

Q3 - Experiment measuring Current I against potential difference v
    Draw a diagram
    Describe the procedure
    Draw a graph
    Is the component an ohmic conductor? explain
    what is the component? 1 possible answer.

Q4 - Experiment to measure the speed of sound in air using a cylindrical resonance tube and a selection of tuning forks.
    Describe with a diagram how the stationary waves are set up to calculae the speed of sound in air.
    Tuning fork 512Hz, length of resonating tube 15cm, diameter 5cm. Calculate the speed of sound in air.
    Give to precautions that should be take in this experiment.

Section B.

Q5 - Short Questions
    (a) An escalator is a moving staircase that is powered by an electric motor. A person moves up an escalator at constant speed. What energy does a person game moving from bottom of an escalator to the top?
    (b) The refractive index of water is 1.33. Find the critical angle of water.
    (c) Light and Sound are two kinds of waves. name the two kinds and state the difference.
    (d) Give two examples of insulation using air.
    (e) Diagram showing 3 bulbs and an ammeter one bulb goes out what happens the ammeter and the remaining 2 bulbs?
    (f) what is an emission spectrum?
    (g) what is a radial circuit?
    (h) sketch a graph of resistance against temperature for a semiconductor over a small temperature range.
    (i) Give two properties of cathode rays.
    (j) Name two fundamental forces which are only effective at short range
    or
    (j)What is the basic principle of an electromagnectic relay?

Q6 - Momentum, velocity, acceleration etc.
    Define Acceleration.
    Describe and experiment to measure the constant acceleration of a body.
    (i) Use the graph to find the value of the constant velocity of the car.
    (ii) Find the acceleration of the motorcycle for the first 10 seconds of its motion.
    (iii) How long it will take the motorcycle to catch up with the car?
    (iv) How far is the car behind the motorcycle after 15 seconds?

Q7 - Waves
    State the condition for two light sources to be coherent.
    Describe with a diagram how two coherent light sources and be used to produce an interference pattern.
    Light of wavelength 590 nm falls at right angles on a diffreaction grating which has 100 lines per mm. Calculate the serparation between the neighbouring lines.
    Calculate the angle between the straight through image and the second order image
    Calculate the highest order image that can be observed with this grating and wavelength of 590nm.
    Waht would be the effect of replacing the diffraction grating with one of fewer lines?
    Why are compact discs coloured?

Q8
    Explain how these spheres can be given charges that equal in magnitube but opposite in sign.
    State Coulombs law of force between electric charges. What is it meant by saying his law is an example of an inverse square law?
    Two identical conducting spheres, P and Q, 6 mm apart, carry a charge of 5 nC and -10 nC respectively. Find the value of the force between them.
    The spheres are made touch and then moved back to their original positions. What charge does each carry now?
    How many electrons were transferred when thet touched and in what directions?
    By what factor does the magnitude of the for between then spheres change?

Q9 - Magnetic field, self induction, describe an experiment to show self induction.

gotta run thats most of it, you better get an A!!!

Section A.

Q1 - Experiment to Verify Newton's second law of motion (F proportional to a)

Q2 - experiment to plot the calibration curve of a thermometer
    what measurments were recorded by the student?
    draw a labelled giagram of the apparatus.
    what steps does the student take to calibrate the alcohol thermometer?
    how pressure increase affects the results?
    Draw a possible calibration curve for the alcohol thermometer.

Q3 - Experiment measuring Current I against potential difference v
    Draw a diagram
    Describe the procedure
    Draw a graph
    Is the component an ohmic conductor? explain
    what is the component? 1 possible answer.

Q4 - Experiment to measure the speed of sound in air using a cylindrical resonance tube and a selection of tuning forks.
    Describe with a diagram how the stationary waves are set up to calculae the speed of sound in air.
    Tuning fork 512Hz, length of resonating tube 15cm, diameter 5cm. Calculate the speed of sound in air.
    Give to precautions that should be take in this experiment.

Section B.

Q5 - Short Questions
    (a) An escalator is a moving staircase that is powered by an electric motor. A person moves up an escalator at constant speed. What energy does a person game moving from bottom of an escalator to the top?
    (b) The refractive index of water is 1.33. Find the critical angle of water.
    (c) Light and Sound are two kinds of waves. name the two kinds and state the difference.
    (d) Give two examples of insulation using air.
    (e) Diagram showing 3 bulbs and an ammeter one bulb goes out what happens the ammeter and the remaining 2 bulbs?
    (f) what is an emission spectrum?
    (g) what is a radial circuit?
    (h) sketch a graph of resistance against temperature for a semiconductor over a small temperature range.
    (i) Give two properties of cathode rays.
    (j) Name two fundamental forces which are only effective at short range
    or
    (j)What is the basic principle of an electromagnectic relay?

Q6 - Momentum, velocity, acceleration etc.
    Define Acceleration.
    Describe and experiment to measure the constant acceleration of a body.
    (i) Use the graph to find the value of the constant velocity of the car.
    (ii) Find the acceleration of the motorcycle for the first 10 seconds of its motion.
    (iii) How long it will take the motorcycle to catch up with the car?
    (iv) How far is the car behind the motorcycle after 15 seconds?

Q7 - Waves
    State the condition for two light sources to be coherent.
    Describe with a diagram how two coherent light sources and be used to produce an interference pattern.
    Light of wavelength 590 nm falls at right angles on a diffreaction grating which has 100 lines per mm. Calculate the serparation between the neighbouring lines.
    Calculate the angle between the straight through image and the second order image
    Calculate the highest order image that can be observed with this grating and wavelength of 590nm.
    Waht would be the effect of replacing the diffraction grating with one of fewer lines?
    Why are compact discs coloured?

Q8
    Explain how these spheres can be given charges that equal in magnitube but opposite in sign.
    State Coulombs law of force between electric charges. What is it meant by saying his law is an example of an inverse square law?
    Two identical conducting spheres, P and Q, 6 mm apart, carry a charge of 5 nC and -10 nC respectively. Find the value of the force between them.
    The spheres are made touch and then moved back to their original positions. What charge does each carry now?
    How many electrons were transferred when thet touched and in what directions?
    By what factor does the magnitude of the for between then spheres change?

Q9 - Magnetic field, self induction, describe an experiment to show self induction.

gotta run thats most of it, you better get an A!!!

Thank you very much. I didnt expect that response, just a little indication however i am very grateful.cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Also the paper I got. Make sure that if you do question 6 you get 300m for the distance of the car behind the motorbike. I spent ages at this and figured out too late to chage it that my 375m was wrong. (Damn teacher collection papers early)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'm totally mystified as to why somebody would want to cheat in their mocks.

Who are you kidding ?

Its not really cheating if you get the question not the answer, he still has to work out how to do them and remember it, good revision!

Also the paper I got. Make sure that if you do question 6 you get 300m for the distance of the car behind the motorbike. I spent ages at this and figured out too late to chage it that my 375m was wrong. (Damn teacher collection papers early)!

I'm sure I got 375 too and I was 100% sure I was right! I'll have to look at it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Samurai wrote:
    Its not really cheating if you get the question not the answer, he still has to work out how to do them and remember it, good revision!
    Yes it is. He then looks up the answers to his Mock Leaving Cert* in his physics book, knows exactly what the answers are, goes in and writes them down. How is that not cheating? If he wants to study, he doesn't need to know his gorram mock questions. Ever heard of past papers?

*In bold because, guess what, it;s the key detail! The mock is the ONLY chance you get to do a full trial run of the LC, with the exams being externally corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Samurai wrote:
    good revision!

wtf man, the past exam papers are for revision, not the mocks. Imo, if you're too lazy and dumb to at least make an honest attempt at the mocks, then just don't bother yourself with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

He might not even get this paper as there are 2 other papers...

I feel as though people are taking the nature of this thread the wrong way.I wanted to find out peoples opinions of their mock exam.How are the finding the course? do they feel prepared for the actual exam etc.I think its important to share these views.It was not intended that he post his mock exam up.There is absolutely no point to that.Just a general opinion on things is all

Samurai wrote:
    I'm sure I got 375 too and I was 100% sure I was right! I'll have to look at it again
    Yay there is hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Got my Physics paper today, it was tough. I didnt get the paper you get, hopefully I scraped a pass.
    Mocks are now over!! Going to get twisted tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Did anyone get the paper with the question on cinder blocks going up the ramp or the spacecraft? Some of the questions on that paper were incredibly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

Lord Oz wrote:
    Did anyone get the paper with the question on cinder blocks going up the ramp or the spacecraft? Some of the questions on that paper were incredibly stupid.

Yes, and I didn't have a clue what to do with it. Made no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Yes, and I didn't have a clue what to do with it. Made no sense.
    how do u do that q?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

ah actually scratch that! sexual i figured it out and got 300m :D

Gangsta wrote:
    ah actually scratch that! sexual i figured it out and got 300m :D

(DAmn you and your correctness LOL)

• Advertisement
Advertisement