Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle Target Changers

Options
  • 23-02-2006 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

This one is for Sparks if he can tear himself away from trying to misquote me out of all recognition on the Carding Grants thread :p Or anyone else for that matter who has experience of these things.

I am travelling to Bisley at the end of March with a couple of our members with a view to purchasing some equipment for themselves and the club. Amongst the various items on the 'draft' shopping list is a couple of target changers that we want to get in order to resurrect our small two lane Air Rifle Range. This is something that we should have done a long time ago, but more recently, Barry Dagger had suggested it with a view to getting everybody to squad training sessions in the same place, in order to avoid all the tiresome travelling around that happens every time he comes over. I actually think this is a good idea(tm), which will inevitably release a tirade from Sparks as to how it is a bad idea(tm). Nevertheless in my own blinkered and self-serving way, I'll push ahead and do it. :p

My question is this; What's the best and most cost-effective system on the market (in the NSRA shop) today?, and what sort of pellet catchers are best to get along with said system?.

Answers on the back of a postage stamp please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Leaving aside the swipes (though I'll get my own back later ye lousy so-and-so ye :D ), my one piece of advice would be not to buy from the NSRA shop. They're simply too expensive. Order directly from Rika or through Geoff (who's the agent in Ireland). You're looking at around 300 a pop for a proper target changer, but amortised over its ten-year life, even taking into account the maintenance budget, it's not so bad.

BTW, it's not a bad idea, but it's a bit small for national squad training : two firing points for air rifle isn't enough. Last squad training day saw three non-WTSC air rifle shooters show up and eight or more WTSC air rifle shooters. Nevertheless, it's good to see the air rifle range going again in rathdrum, can't wait to see it expand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    Leaving aside the swipes (though I'll get my own back later ye lousy so-and-so ye :D )
    I knew that was your motivation :D
    my one piece of advice would be not to buy from the NSRA shop. They're simply too expensive. Order directly from Rika or through Geoff (who's the agent in Ireland). You're looking at around 300 a pop for a proper target changer, but amortised over its ten-year life, even taking into account the maintenance budget, it's not so bad.
    Well the NSRA are selling the Rika World Champion model for £228 which works out roughly at €325, How does that compare?
    BTW, it's not a bad idea, but it's a bit small for national squad training : two firing points for air rifle isn't enough. Last squad training day saw three non-WTSC air rifle shooters show up and eight or more WTSC air rifle shooters. Nevertheless, it's good to see the air rifle range going again in rathdrum, can't wait to see it expand :)
    I agree that that's the case, but you could take two at a time, and structure your coaching accordingly. I think it would be a lot better than all the travelling, especially as you can cover two or three disciplines at the same venue.

And the pellet catchers??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote:
    I knew that was your motivation :D
    :rolleyes:
    The thing that worries me is that people might well think that was true :(
    I'd think you'd know me better, mind!
    Well the NSRA are selling the Rika World Champion model for £228 which works out roughly at €325, How does that compare?
    I've asked Geoff, I'll pass on the answer when I get it. I seem to recall him saying they were around the €300 mark at some point, but I could well be wrong.
    I agree that that's the case, but you could take two at a time, and structure your coaching accordingly. I think it would be a lot better than all the travelling, especially as you can cover two or three disciplines at the same venue.
    You'd think so, but right now the Sqaud is set to train for air rifle in Wilkinstown, where the majority of the air rifle shooters are; it's not the fairest solution in the country, but it does seem efficient for now. Move it to RRPC and it's not so bad for me, but for the rest of the WTSC lads, they have the lengths of the N3, the M50 and a fair chunk of the N11 to get down. To be fairer, it should be rotated. But really, we should have a system like the ICPSA's tendering for competition system, you know. But that's one of the few problems we have that actually can wait for another day!

edit:
    Also, from the last few years of going to them, I'd have to say the coaching sessions were fairly unstructured at best for air rifle. The model has never been of a structured coaching programme, but of a series of workshop sessions - the idea being that you go to Barry with a specific problem and he fixes it. It'd be a major change to introduced structured coaching!
    And the pellet catchers??
    Integral part of the system I thought. Just an angled metal plate and a small tray. Don't need much more for air rifle.

Oh, and a broom and a dust mask to clean up after the night's shooting at the target end of the range. Don't forget the dust mask, seriously. (I know you know about lead dust hazards rrpc, that note's for the other guy reading this who doesn't and who sets up a target changer in his kitchen over the breadboard :eek: )

Sparks wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    The thing that worries me is that people might well think that was true :(
    I'd think you'd know me better, mind!
    I know your just a big softie at heart..... and head:D :D:D
    I've asked Geoff, I'll pass on the answer when I get it. I seem to recall him saying they were around the €300 mark at some point, but I could well be wrong.
    By all means, if Geoff can do them cheaper, then that's fine by us. We are having an EGM on the 12th after the competition, and I'll bring this up at that time, so if I can have an answer before then, that would be fine. Assuming we deal with him, how soon can they be got?
    You'd think so, but right now the Sqaud is set to train for air rifle in Wilkinstown, where the majority of the air rifle shooters are; it's not the fairest solution in the country, but it does seem efficient for now. Move it to RRPC and it's not so bad for me, but for the rest of the WTSC lads, they have the lengths of the N3, the M50 and a fair chunk of the N11 to get down. To be fairer, it should be rotated. But really, we should have a system like the ICPSA's tendering for competition system, you know. But that's one of the few problems we have that actually can wait for another day!
    I wan't suggesting a change per se, more that Barry had felt that he could get people together for a longer time than he currently has, perhaps for a weekend, with them all staying locally to avoid the time lost through travelling. It's an idea that has merit, but I would not see it as a regular occurrence. (because of the small number of firing points)
    the idea being that you go to Barry with a specific problem and he fixes it. It'd be a major change to introduced structured coaching!
    I think that's what he had in mind actually. More time=more structured

Just a quick postscript to this thread. I just collected a couple of target changers from a member of this board who PM'd me and offered them to us free of charge. To spare his blushes I won't mention his name, but his kind gift is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement