Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing bike from UK - how to?

• 23-02-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

anyone recommend freight company/delivery company for bringing bike in from UK? any ideas of cost? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Any reason you can't ride it in yourself? I'd kinda want to see a bike before I bought.
    This article in Irish Times(from 2002) has me sold on the idea of getting UK bike: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/2002/0501/4135152267PETE_B.html - once I get off restriction, that is...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

I don't ride (bikes) :D

girlfriend wants CB250, prices here are a bit on the steep side compared to UK, seen one or two advertised on UK sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

I would always buy from the UK..

Advs
    • a lot cheaper
    • Normally better service...ie full dealer service
    Disadvs
    • You have to fly there...then check out the bike
    • No guarantee...
    • Have to spend a small bit more with regards VRT
    From
    http://oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html#id3147729

Motorcycles (new) - 2 euro per 350cc and 1 euro per cc thereafter
    Motorcycles (used) - 2 euro per 350cc and 1 euro per cc thereafter

I dont know anyone who does it...I did it myself..
    If needed..maybe hire a VAN for the weekend and pick up bike that way
    but you have to take into account the cost of Ferry and such like

anyhow .. all the best:)
    Dan

PS..bought bike off of ebay (GS850), in Scotland...in winter...bad timing!! (bleeding frezzing)
    But came out a lot better by a couple of grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paul_876

Why not just book a flight for 30 or 40 euro jump on the bike and boot it to holyhead without any regard for the speed cameras??? I`ve done it and its a piece of piss if its capable of decent motorway speeds (or outrageous ones).Be sure to get the V5 document from the seller regardless of the fact that they`ll want to send it to the DVLA,thats their tax office.If it goes there it can take 8 weeks of calling swansea and harrassing the DVLA for the V5 so you can register the bike here,can be a nightmare.Because we don`t have UK post codes their institutionalised office brains start to fry sort of like if you ask for a Mcchicken sandwich with cheese in Mcdonalds,it really fecks them up.Try ebay.co.uk for the bike you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Motorcycles (new) - 2 euro per 350cc and 1 euro per cc thereafter
    Motorcycles (used) - 2 euro per 350cc and 1 euro per cc thereafter
    ^this^ doesn't tally at all with the VRT online calculator. Try a 250cc bike registered in january 1990 and one registered in january 2005 and you get 50 and 400 quid respectively. The Oasis site appears to be completely wrong. The 50 quid is the minimum charge AFAIK.

Edit: From the Revenue website......
    Motorcycles.

Examples include motorcycles, scooters, certain All Terrain Vehicles (ATV).

VRT is charged by reference to the cubic capacity i.e. cubic centimetres (cc) of the engine. The current rates are €2 in respect of each cc up to 350 and €1 for each cc thereafter. The total amount is then reduced by prescribed percentages to take account of the age of the vehicle.
    (My own emphasis)

I think a table of these percentages used to be available. I remember a friend of mine had one anyway. Basically older bikes are virtually VRT free, very good for peeps interested in good condition classics >15 years old for cheaper insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement