Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling

Options
  • 23-02-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

We've bought a 2 bed in the Park which is supposed to be ready in March.
    Does anyone know if you can ask the tiler on site if he can tile the kitchen and bathroom floors now rather than wait until you get the keys?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lin03 wrote:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you can ask the tiler on site if he can tile the kitchen and bathroom floors now rather than wait until you get the keys?

Thanks for your help.

I think we asked about this, and the main problem was that the builders don't like the tilers to do this as they don't want to be responsible if some tiles are broken while they are finishing work on the place.

If it's any use to you, get the number of one of the on-site tilers and get them in as soon as you get the keys - it should be no more than a days work to get both rooms done, and it is a cash job so should be cheap enough.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Lin03

Will try that. Thanks for your help.

Lin03 wrote:
    Will try that. Thanks for your help.

No bothers. Let me know if you are looking for a number, we used one of the Durkan tilers and he was pretty good. I think he is still on-site and wouldn't mind a cash job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

A word of advice to all of you who haven't actually moved in yet.

Before the plumbing is completed in your bathrooms.... Tell them to leave a loose tile under the loo and sink pedestal. We got our keys today and we are tiling the floors tomorrow but the pedestals are fixed, tiled around etc. To move them and tile under means pulling out taps and pulling off wall tiles! It will make tiling the bathroom a bigger job as we now have to cut around them and around the waste pipes.

I can't understand why they would do this, i mean the set up would only be suitable for those carpeting their bathroom and I don't know anyone who would carpet a bathroom these days. :confused:

If only we had thought of it when snagging. A professional snagger would note it no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

A word of advice to all of you who haven't actually moved in yet.

Before the plumbing is completed in your bathrooms.... Tell them to leave a loose tile under the loo and sink pedestal. We got our keys today and we are tiling the floors tomorrow but the pedestals are fixed, tiled around etc. To move them and tile under means pulling out taps and pulling off wall tiles! It will make tiling the bathroom a bigger job as we now have to cut around them and around the waste pipes.

I can't understand why they would do this, i mean the set up would only be suitable for those carpeting their bathroom and I don't know anyone who would carpet a bathroom these days. :confused:

If only we had thought of it when snagging. A professional snagger would note it no doubt.

I think the plummer will come around to move the fittings i you wish so you can tile under them. It will cost you about 50 Euro I think. I investigated all possibilities but was told that the policy is to complete the house as is and anything additional is up to me!! Bit os a bummer, but better to tile under the basin, toilet etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Schoolteacher

I'm new to Boards.ie, and it's not clear to me how to start a new thread, NOT a private message. Can someone explain to me how it works?

Thanks, and sorry for butting in on your thread.. I'm desperate.
    Lin03 wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I'm new to Boards.ie, and it's not clear to me how to start a new thread, NOT a private message. Can someone explain to me how it works?

Thanks, and sorry for butting in on your thread.. I'm desperate.

Hi there, first of all go to the main forum page here, and at the top and bottom of the page, you should see this button:
    newthread.gif. Click this, and you're away!

Also, be sure to check out the forum charter here, which will give you an idea about the forum.

Any probs, drop me a PM

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

Hi Eoin - Do you know if that tiler you used is still on site, if so any chance of his name + number?

thanks

dubgirl wrote:
    Hi Eoin - Do you know if that tiler you used is still on site, if so any chance of his name + number?

thanks

Not too sure if he is still on site, as they seem to use different contractors for the different phases - I think he said he was due to be on site for a while though. I have PM'd you his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wifey

Oh my god, did you guys not have tiling done before you moved in? What are that shower of S***** like? please tell me they at least pay for it!

• Advertisement

well they do tile walls but all floors are left concrete so thats what I need tiled... pain in the a** but we knew this was the case all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thats the pits.....I just had to pick the tiles and they did all the tiling before I snagged, I'm in the Court btw.

Meant to say they tiled the bathroom floor and bath surround and the floor in the downstairs loo

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

LMC wrote:
    Thats the pits.....I just had to pick the tiles and they did all the tiling before I snagged, I'm in the Court btw.

Ditto, and I'm in the Wood

well they obviously decided on some cost cutting measures for the Park :(

dubgirl wrote:
    well they obviously decided on some cost cutting measures for the Park :(

And in the Grove... It's not actually too bad, as you don't need to move furniture around to get the tiling done, like you would if you were getting the bedroom or living room floors done. It's also a pretty quick job, our tilers were able to raise the toilet, sink etc so the tiling runs under them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macey

[QUOTE
    our tilers were able to raise the toilet, sink etc so the tiling runs under them properly.[/QUOTE]

We got the tilers onsite to do our tiles and they did a brilliant job. They won't do it until you have closed as mentioned above but they do a brilliant job and its quite reasonable. They took the toilets and sinks out and tiled underneath, which looks much better. I had shopped around and the tilers on site ended up being half the price of some of the quotes i was getting. I got it for about 20€ per square yard (as apposed to €40, robbery!!). Plus the lads had it done in a day. 3 Bathrooms and a kitchen. Not bad! Really happy with the finish. They guys name is Tommy if you need a number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Trisito

Hi There, I'm in the Park and I'm looking for a number of a tiler, preferably one who's on site so I can get a cheap cash rate negotiated. Can anyone help?

Advertisement