Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off credit card

Options
  • 23-02-2006 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was unemployed until recently. During my time of unemployment I amassed a small amount on my credit card, paying bills mainly. Ok its not that small, but its not too big either.

Now I am back working I am putting every spare penny into getting rid of the amount. I have gotton it down to a reasonable amount.

I am not too clued up on interest/purchase charges, late fees etc, but the bank are charging me a small fortune on interest alone.

My question is, is there a card out there with 0% interest? Just while I manage to pay off the remaining balance, which should take a few months.

If I change cards, would it affect, say, if I wanted to get a mortgage with my current bank who owns my credit card?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Most cards have 0% on transfers for the first n number of months, usually 6 months minimum. Bank of Scotland's PLASTIC card seems to be one of the most competitive at the moment, with 0% for 9 months and a pretty attractive (single figures) APR after that.

EDIT: 0% for 6 months, 9.5% after that.

http://www.bankofscotland.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&pID=94&nID=106

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Or ask for a personal (unsecured) loan from your bank without explaining that you want to clear your credit card balance, then use the loan to pay off your cc ;)

P.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH it depends how much it is. If it's less than €1000 then I'd go for a 0% card and clear it off monthly at a rate you can afford. If it's over that then get a loan. As regards credit cards and mortgages , generally banks haven't looked at them to date but they probably will in the future as people have a tendency to "hide" their debt.

Advertisement