Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post increase

Options
  • 23-02-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i use an post quite a lot in my business mainly for sending parcels to the uk bought on ebay. today i had a parcel weighing 2.4kg. Last week this would have cost 11 euro by economy parcels. today it costs 26 euro by "standard post" a registered version would have cost 30 euro a "courier post" version 53.20. I got a postal rates book from the post office today and it beggers belief. they have pumped up all the prices and have reduced the maximum parcel weight from 30kg to 20kg. at this rate interlink would be cheaper and they do door to door. please someone tell me i have this wrong!!??

cheers,
    jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Nope, you are correct with those rates. i do a lot of posting parcels to the UK and the price has at least doubled. I heard nothing about this until I went to the post office today. 30Euro :eek: for a parcel that was 14Euro last week.

They quietly upped the price to Europe early last year too, getting rid of the economy rate. That made the price effectively double there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

if thats not a ripoff i dont know what is? over 100% increase , less service for your money and no announcement made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I remember reading about recently. They were also looking to increase the cost of a standard stamp, but ComReg stopped that from happening.

I went to post a DVD I sold on eBay to England yesterday, expecting it to be the usual €2.50, instead it was €3.25, a 30% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, I noticed this on the day it went up to. I'm going to have to increase my postage rates of ebay, which doesn't make it worth even selling some stuff.

You'll notice the size of what constitutes a parcel has shrunk considerably too. It's An Post's way of getting round not being able to put up the price of a stamp by what they wanted to this year.

Complete rip off. Time to start lookign for more competitive competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

jackbauer wrote:
    if thats not a ripoff i dont know what is? over 100% increase , less service for your money and no announcement made public.
    There was a public announcement, I heard in on the Radio, and saw it on the TV, if I had read the paper I imagine it would of been there too.

• Advertisement

gillo wrote:
    There was a public announcement, I heard in on the Radio, and saw it on the TV, if I had read the paper I imagine it would of been there too.

Just went to return a faulty hard drive I bought on Ebay to germany.
    24Euro for a 700Gram packet. Christ!:eek:
    Its not worth returning it at that price

EDIT - I just went back to the post office after checking the postal rate calculator on the an-post site. the site said it should cost 7Euro and not 24Euro. The 7 Euro option wasn`t even on the post office computer. the leaflet in the shop had the 7 Euro option.

Ended up costing 7Euro.

Anyone who wouldnt have questioned them would have paid 24Euro. AN POST, Cheeky BA$TARD$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Just went to return a faulty hard drive I bought on Ebay to germany.
    24Euro for a 700Gram packet. Christ!:eek:
    Its not worth returning it at that price

It should cost you €7, up to 1kg for a packet.
    It's €14 for a parcel.

Rates: (click on image to make bigger/clearer)
    http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anpostcr505ld.jpg

Packet/Parcel Box Sizes:
    http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anpost2cr509ed.jpg

It should cost you €7, up to 1kg for a packet.
    It's €14 for a parcel.

Rates: (click on image to make bigger/clearer)
    http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anpostcr505ld.jpg

Packet/Parcel Box Sizes:
    http://img437.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anpost2cr509ed.jpg

See edited post

Last edited by darkmaster2 : Today at 16:38.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

See edited post

Last edited by darkmaster2 : Today at 16:38.

I was probably writing when you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yeah, just want to echo the sentiments on here. I've been selling a variety of items, but mainly books on E-bay for a few months and I am staggerred at the cost of postage since the rise.

You are looking at €4.50 per average book (i.e. over 350 pages, paperback size, in a jiffy bag) to the UK. There is also no difference now between UK and ROW, essentially there is a domestic and an international rate.

Asbsolutely scandalous.

It certainly makes E-bay for small items unattractive, as a postal & packing charge of €6.00 (based on €4.50 cost) looks excessive to buyers.

Soes anyone know about mailboxes, etc - are they more competitive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

This is outrageous. I only use the An post for letter as i only rarely send parcels. It is just simply another attempt by the government to assassinate Public services and there is no doubt that Mary Harney and the Pd's are behind this. If an post a company subsidised by the government are charging this can you imagine what a Private company would charge. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 compworld

Yeah - I used that Mailboxes place a few weeks ago - Its a good service, but pretty expensive - don't know how it compares pricewise with An Post tho'. Had a package delivered by UPS to the states and it arrived in Boston less than 48hrs later! They are based in Rathmines - their number is 4912447.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I had to post a Printer from Cork to Dublin this week.
    7Kg and it cost €16.
    I sent the same printer off 6 months ago for €9.
    Disgraceful increas.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I sold a dvd player worth 130 Euro on ebay recently. Previously similar items have cost around 10 Euro to post with An Post.I therefore charged the buyer 12 Euro postage. It now cost me 36 Euro to post to the UK. I had to refund two other ebay customer's as these AN Post postage charges make selling internationally unfeasible now.

Advertisement