Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Electrical Question

Options
  • 23-02-2006 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all, wiring up a bathroom, and I need to power an extractor fan, recessed light, and normal light. I want the fan to come on with the lights.
    It would be convenient for me to run this circuit off a nearby socket.But Ive never linked a lighting circuit to a socket main circuit. I am presuming it would be safer to run the circuit with a fan on the socket main instead of the lower wattage lighting circuit.
    Is there anything wrong with doing this? Anything to watch out for?And yes I'm putting a 13amp fcu between the fan and light switch.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's common practice to power the fan from the light circuit (as long as it's a regular bathroom fan and not some industrial thing). Bathroom fans are typically less than 100W so loading won't be an issue.

If you wire it from the socket, you'll have to have a seperate switch (outside the room unless it's a pullcord) and use 2.5sq to wire it.
    You can loop directly off the lights with 1.5sq and it'll come on / off with the lights.
    If you want a 'run on' (some fans have built in timers) - you'll also have to run an unswitched live to it. Make sure this comes from the same circuit as the lights.

Advertisement