Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyslexia?

• 23-02-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Would I be right in saying that someone who has delexia will never amount to anything like wont go to college and will get the min wage jobs for the rest of there lifes?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

no
    you would not be right in saying that!
    why would you think such a thing?

/edit
    some threads on the subject:

here
    and here

and to prove that you are wrong about a person getting no where:

Quotes From Famous Dyslexics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

unreg87 wrote:
    Would I be right in saying that someone who has delexia will never amount to anything like wont go to college and will get the min wage jobs for the rest of there lifes?

You couldnt be further from the truth. Some of the most successfull people in this country have dislexia. Dislexia should never detear someone from trying to be successfull in what they want to succeed in. Everyone can do well when they put there mind to it, even if some do find it a little bit harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

unreg87 wrote:

No that would not happen if someone had delexia .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Delexia http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews3665.html

Is the OP talking about Dyslexia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Who told you this?

Dyslexia is how you spell the word, you would think you would at least try to get that right before actually talk such rubbish.

You also have the wrong there in that sentence, I believe you are looking for the word Their.

Your grammar is not the best either.

But then I shouldn't comment too much as I am Dyslexic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Has anyone ever considered that unreg87 might be an 18 year old who is becoming aware of his/her dyslexia? Shame on you all for leaping to assumptions.

OP - DCU, for instance, offer access routes for those with dyslexia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You would be way off the mark.

My gf is dyslexic, she has a law&french degree, a masters in European law and is currently working on a mba.

She also holds a senior position in one of the Uk's biggest companies. She also made a very good living as a lawyer for several years.

She actually argues that dyslexia can be a benefit, she is a slower reader than me but is very very good at picking things up from the context. So she basically works out what the words are from the context of sentence. Which is an extremely clever thing to do if you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Elmo banned.

I'm editing the title of this thread so as to avoid confusion, even though it's perfectly obvious that this thread is about dyslexia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Einstein, Tom Cruise, Yeats, Noel Gallagher, Churchill, Leonardo da Vinci all have/had dyslexia. Life is what you make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Several other people have already answered yout question, but I wanted to continue on what has Beruthial said. Some of the most influential and successful people in the world have been/are dyslexic. For example, Albert Einstein was very severely dyslexia, and you don't hear many people saying he made nothing of himself. Try googling the phrase "famous dyslexics" and see what kind of thing you can come up with for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Elmo wrote:
    You also have the wrong there in that sentence, I believe you are looking for the word Their.

Your grammar is not the best either.

But then I shouldn't comment too much as I am Dyslexic.
    NoelRock wrote:
    Has anyone ever considered that unreg87 might be an 18 year old who is becoming aware of his/her dyslexia? Shame on you all for leaping to assumptions.

Yes I am an 18 year old and my bad grammar & spelling would because I have been diagnosed with Dyslexia at the age of 4. But I posted this because this is the type of reply I got the other day when I told someone(airhead) that I was Dyslexic but she didnt say it as bad as I did there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

unreg87 wrote:
    Yes I am an 18 year old and my bad grammar & spelling would because I have been diagnosed with Dyslexia at the age of 4. But I posted this because this is the type of reply I got the other day when I told someone(airhead) that I was Dyslexic but she didnt say it as bad as I did there.
    You say yourself that this person is an airhead, which would suggest that you don't value her opinion too much to begin with. Why let her bother you when she's obviously not worth your time?

Anybody with two brain cells to rub together will tell you the opposite of what she has told you, so pay no attention to her whatsoever. Infact, you could even use her comments as an incentive to spur yourself on even further and prove to people like her that you can and will make something of yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Richard Branson is dyslexic. He owns his own Virgin Island. I'd call that successful. My flatmate is dyslexic. She's in the middle of a very good degree in uni. The University supplied her with a fancy new laptop, scanner, printer, scanner pen and all sorts of things to help her, and she's not even a severe case. Of course dyslexics (why is that such a hard word to spell?) can go to uni and get good jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

I would consider myself dyslexic. Back in primary school this was told to my parents and I began getting "side classes" back then. The same thing happened at the begenning of secondary school. My Mam/Dad were not big on the idea of getting professional help because they honestly thought it was a nice way for a school to tell you your child is dumb.

In secondary school I was assessed to have a "problem" and put in a remedial class of sorts(they already had their paws on me in the first week of first year). Now that certainly gave any confidence in my abilities a right good boot between the legs.

The strange this is, back then I had accepted I was stupid and figured there was nothing I could do about it. Somewhere throughout secondary school when it came to parent teacher meetings english/french/irish/etc teachers gave my parents the same bull, but maths/physics teachers said the very opposite.
    They said I had a talent for maths and physics. Having got back a little confidence I actually found that I was far better than the average standard at these subjects.

I got a decent lc (done all higher except for irish, got bare scrapes in french/english/irish and done "o.k."(to my standards) in some others, but strangely done quite well in maths/physics/applied maths).

I am now in uni doing a computer science degree, and am in second year having gotten a 1:1 in my first.

Long story short, just because you are ****e at one thing which is heavily demanded in society, does not mean you are ****e at everything.

I get lost in conversations, sometimes forget what I am talking about(very hard to describe), can't understand what people are saying.... my articulative ability has improved a lot in the past year or so though (greatly you may say). I loose the idea of tenses when writing stuff, means I have to go reading over it again and again.

Don't give up hope, if i done that, I certainly would be a dope today. When somebody destroys your confidence in one thing, it can really drag down any true ability/aptitude you have in another area.

P.s. I would be afraid to show you how I use to write, I can't even make sense of it today:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I work in IT and a lot of the best people in the corporate IT world can barely spell their names correctly, but they wink and say that's what spellcheckers were invented for.
    Dont worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I only found out 2 years after school that I had Dyslexia, it had been suggested to me before that. But schools never cought it. I done badly on my LC and as a result I didn't get into College. But I was deturmand not to work in a factory (my first 3 jobs) for my whole life. I Knew I wanted to work in computers. With a lot of looking and not taking no as an answer I got my frist job in a stock brokers in dublin as a Jr Network Admin. 6 months later I was made System Administrator as I was doing everything rather than just dealing with day to day backups, looking after network passwords and patchings. I've worked on AS/400 Main frames and lots of different server types. But I most like working on computer hardware.

So to answer your question, No. You will not have a minim wage job. As long as you dont let your-self have one.

As for spell checkers, I cant really use them. Most of the time when it gives me two words that sound/look the same. I cant tell the differance. If someone wants to be a spelling nazi, then good for them. Just dont let it hold you back or put you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

deimos wrote:

The strange this is, back then I had accepted I was stupid and figured there was nothing I could do about it. Somewhere throughout secondary school when it came to parent teacher meetings english/french/irish/etc teachers gave my parents the same bull, but maths/physics teachers said the very opposite.
    They said I had a talent for maths and physics. Having got back a little confidence I actually found that I was far better than the average standard at these subjects.

Hey you've been spying on me :p

That is me down to a T =).

Thing was i wasn't diagnosed untill i had left school , well about 5 years after i left .
    Aparently if you are diagnosed withing 3 years you can either resit your LC or they can remark it. But seeing as i was 5 years out they wouldn't do jack sh1t for me ( i know you can resit the LC any time you want).

Still I'm working in a industry that keeps me Happy ( Computers) .
    I know my greatest Job skill is my troubleshooting ability and the ability of to see a problem in Logical Steps , so after a few years it gave me confidence to do what i wanted =).

I've moved around the globe , I enjoy the work i do .

To the OP , yeah it's hard , but just as hard before they diagnosed you , So just keep the auld chin up and keep slogging through.

Never give up , Never Surrender :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Firstly Leonardo de Vinci was only diagnosed as dyslexic hundreds of years after he was dead, by people who never knew him. (It is a pet annoyance of mine when people are diagnosed with mental problems or gay, long after they die. Let them rest!)

Secondly, Do you know what your IQ is? Intelligence dyslexics can often compensate using raw brains and I believe that there are mental tricks one can use to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I remember watching a documentary on dyslexia a while back and the "experts" reckons that dyslexics are naturally predisposed to be better at IT than those who aren't dyslexic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

One word answer: NO!!! Dyslexica doesn't halt you on your way to college if that's what u want.

• Advertisement

All the posters without dyslexia who keep spelling dyslexia incorrectly are only adding to the OPs problems reading this thread. I have never seen one word so badly butchered by so many in such a short time.

Hagar, one more post on PI that's completely pointless and unhelpful and you'll get a bnannign. I wonder if you'll understand that.

I understand and am suitably admonished. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hagar wrote:
    Delexia http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews3665.html

Is the OP talking about Dyslexia?

This post is beneath contempt. I can only hope that alcohol is involved.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

No that is out the OP spelled it in the title before it was edited to make it clearer to other people.

Oh and a helpful hint on my last post. When I said if I use a spellchecker and it returns two simular words. Then I turn to my good friend Mr Google. I always have a window of it open. Type any word you are unsure of into it and you will get search returns. The hits on the word normaly have it in context in a sentance. Makes it easier to figger out what word you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

sutty wrote:
    No that is out the OP spelled it in the title before it was edited to make it clearer to other people.

Oh and a helpful hint on my last post. When I said if I use a spellchecker and it returns two simular words. Then I turn to my good friend Mr Google. I always have a window of it open. Type any word you are unsure of into it and you will get search returns. The hits on the word normaly have it in context in a sentance. Makes it easier to figger out what word you are looking for.

O god yes, it's a life saver when I confuse myself:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sutty wrote:
    No that is out the OP spelled it in the title before it was edited to make it clearer to other people.....

I knew that, you knew that, Hagar knew that. He still posted his 'smart' post though.

Not your ornery onager

We've been through this. Please get back on topic.

@ Esel - I have already apologised for my stupidity in being flippant.

Please read the other posts. There was a mispelling in the title originally but was corrected by Gordon for the sake of clarity. The mispelling is still there to see in the OP. Other than try to belittle me I don't see any positive contribution from yourself regarding the OP. So please leave aside the "holier than thou" attitude.

I'll go away now again my apologies.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I was upset by what you said.

There are varying degrees of Dyslexia.

You were very fortunate to be diagnosed with dyslexia at the age of 4.

My mother diagnosed me with it at an early age but the teachers didn't want to listen to her, teacher's can be very ignorant about the problem (learning difficulty what ever you want to call it).

I was diagnosed at the age of 12 but I was told that I had an above Average IQ.

When I was doing my Junior Cert Mock English Exams my Tutor (who knew I was dyslexic) was giving out the exams.

The first exam paper she hand me was the Foundation level paper.
    I asked her for the higher level paper.
    She came back with the Ordinary level paper.
    She was surprised that I was doing Higher Level.

She ended up as head teacher with responsibility for Learning Difficulties. How ****ing stupid. :mad:

All dyslexics untie

it took me a while to get that joke, above average IQ mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Brown_Eyed_Girl

Hi

I am brand new to this site and also brand new to dyslexia, I noticed this thread and I thought that perhaps this would be a good place to start my education on this subject.

My son has just very recently been dianosed with dyslexia (last Friday to be precise) and I just dont know where or how to start helping him, and I thought that perhaps I could get some suggestions here !!!! Help please :confused:

Be careful what you tell teachers.

What is your son good at?

I remember being in school at a very young age and understanding everything that was going on but when it came to do exams etc my handwriting and how I placed my words in a sentence let me down. A few years ago I pick up a forth class copy of mine and realise how incomprehiable my sentences where but it didn't prove that I knew my History.

Again looking back their where several pointers to my Dyslexia including Maths. Maths was my strongest subject yet when asked to call out the answers in class I would often call out the opposite number i.e 16 I would call out 61

Well my son is only 7 and his problem has really only come to my attenton in the last few months.

He is good at maths and he seems to have a huge vocabulary and uses everything in the right context, I feel he is very very smart.

His difficulty lies in writing, which is very hard to read at times, he also gets approx 50% of his letters the wrong way around, and also some of his numbers, and also his reading is very slow, he seems to be guessing words half of the time.

Why do you say to be careful what I say to his teacher, surely if his teacher is aware of his difficulties she may help ???

Why do you say to be careful what I say to his teacher, surely if his teacher is aware of his difficulties she may help ???

The teacher should be made aware and she will know how bright he is as she/he interacts with your son each day.

I would be careful of telling secondary school teachers. In particular subjects he is good in. They may feel that he should do Pass or Foundation in subjects in which he is capabable.

IMO foundation really should be only for people with really bad Learning Difficulties and if a teacher suggest foundation that the student is tested to see if he is able to do pass or just simply lasy.

I did Honours leaving cert History, by the time I got to the Leaving Cert I realise that the History teacher wasn't all that interest in the first place and 5 essay is hard enough for anyone to write even if you don't have dyslexia. I was place in a PASS class and just didn't tell the teacher that I was doing Honours. (C1 was my result)

While I am give horror stories of my secondary schools attitude I would also point out that it is considered one of the best in the country. Something I would not agree with.

Work with your son in Reading, Writing and Spelling. It was down to my mothers insistance that I learn to read, write and kind of spell that I improved.

I went to grinds aimed toward people with Dyslexia. ACDL I Believe was who ran the grinds.

http://www.dyslexia.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Make sure your teacher understands about the condition. At a school conference some parents were explaining to my brothers teacher that another boy needed help and had dyslexia. My mum heard the teacher say later that all the boy needed was a good kick up the arse. He meant it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Hi, I am dyslexic. I have known for many years, so I figure I could say a thing or two about this. I have decided to write this without using a spell checker to give u an idea about how I spell.

I was diagnosed in third year of seccondary school after my english teacher confided in my pairents that I should go to a specilist. I had stuggeled in rural schoosl for many years, I was a dreamer, a odd ball, unfocased. I didnt like sport, or school or the future. My pairents found this very distresing, they are both teachers. They tried everything, such as helping me with my homework, paying tutors etc. I did not improve, and the more frustrated everyone around me became, the more distresed and negitive I became.

For me mathamatics was a big problem, dyslexia is a very broad box, and my difficulty is with sequences. I have problems following an equasion, doing the individual sums, and adding them all up. My spelling suffers as a reault, and in many respects, spelling is not a million miles form an equasion. I could read to a good standard, my vocabulary was exstencive but I couldent spell very well at all. I felt I was damaged, not equipped to cope with the big bad world. My diagnoses was a few pages, stating I had below average ability, I was hopeless, This was terifying.

However, I knew I wasent stupid, I knew I could make sence of things, I knew I could see how things fit together, not just spacial awareness, which dyslexia gets credidited with often, but the bigger pictures, how the world adds up. These conclusions were quantum leaps in my mind, not simply adding a to b to c etc in roat schooling fashion, but observing the world in a more instinctive, I would say natural way.

I finished school, with passes, except I didn't sit the Irish exam, (I was refused an excemption) and foundation math. I went to work. I had many jobs, Bartending, Factorys, whatever I could get. I failed at this for a while too, I Lost jobs, mainly because I had an attaitude problem. I was sore at life, and I felt I was trapped in a world I couldnt grow in. Dont get me wrong, the people who work these jobs are some of the best in the world, and opened my mind in ways a textbook cant. But I couldent appreciate this at the time.

Eventualy I took off, I saved some money and left. I went to Aisa, Australia, NewZealand, Fiji, Hawiai and America. I saw a lot, and I survived. I belived in myself.

I came home and wondered what I was going to do with myself. My mum, had studed more about learning difficulties, and had tought traviling children for quite a few years at this stage. Her influence on me changed my life. She gave me books on the subject, and took me to see diffrent people. I was Hipnotised.

I applyed to diffrent collages as a mature student, I only got offered one. I set an apatuded test and that was it. I am in my seccond year of Phylosophy and English, and I love it. I have the experince to take what I feel is relevent on board and to just walk away from the crap. I am improving all the time, my christmas results are a testament to this. I still dont know for certan what I want to do with my life, but this doesnt scare me anymore, very little does.

I belive we are all unique, but not that diffrent. Dyslexia, is just another word, like White, or Catholic. These are broad generlisations, with many diffrent meanings, while they are nessacery to a degree, are not very specific. I am glad I struggeled in school, it helps me question the world, I am stonger for it.

Is daydreaming part of dyslexia. I always daydreamed in national school.
    My diagnoses was a few pages, stating I had below average ability, I was hopeless, This was terifying.

What was ur IQ result?

I think I survived Irish because I was interested. I let go of French mainly because I didn't like the teacher or the lanuage.

I generally use Spell check but sometimes that doesn't work.

Also spellcheck is annoying with all its american spellings espcially in college.

Organisation and Organization, where did the z come from. Realisation and Realization.

Haven't used it on my last few post. Spelling on boards in really bad anyway.

I believe daydreaming, like any dream, is fundamentally necessary, It is the process of exploring the information the mind has gathered; the mind is working out what is what and where is this information relevant, how it fits with everything else. I dislike these kinds of terms; it suggests we are more like machines than I believe we are.
    I cant remember what my IQ was, I never took much stock in the concept after that diagnosis. I think it was around 100, possibly just below it, I was never shown it, I found it. I think it probably has improved, but is seems to me to be a very narrow perspective on a persons abilities.

With regard to different spellings of words, things can get even more interesting when u look at the different meanings of words. I am taking a course in post structuralism; I find it fascinating. The course is concerned mainly with the role of the Author, and the Reader. There are many fascinating insights into the development of language, and the toll time takes on our very interpretation of works of the past, indeed the past itself.

Make sure your teacher understands about the condition. At a school conference some parents were explaining to my brothers teacher that another boy needed help and had dyslexia. My mum heard the teacher say later that all the boy needed was a good kick up the arse. He meant it.

God that is scary !!!! I think his teacher seems ok about it, she has brought certain things to my attention, and agreed with getting his assessment done last week, I suppose time will tell whether or not she will continue to by sympathic to his situation. She will get a copy of the report with the recommendations from the doctor involved, but who is top say that she will take them on board, I feel very much at her mercy.

Do I have to take any steps now regarding his education ??? Does he automatically get extra help ????

Thanks for all your help with this

When I was diagnosed, it was 95/96, things have supposedly changed for the better lately. U should contact the people who know about this, there web page is at http://www.dyslexia.ie/ . I would stress to u that this is not the end of the world or anything. U and your son are going to here all kinds of stuff from people who frankly don’t know what they are talking about, even if they do mean well. Try to be positive, and read as much as you can about the subject. Your Son will be fine.

Edit: I found the Buzan's work to be very useful.. some Info http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/Creative/Mindmap/

• Advertisement

Do I have to take any steps now regarding his education ??? Does he automatically get extra help ????

You will have to organise that with the school.

I would say not to put your son down, like everyone he is capable of great things if he puts his mind to it.

Your son is now 7 by the time he gets to Secondary School he may already have improved. There is no reason to suggest that he cann't do honours in subjects or go on to 3rd level education (if that is what he wants).

I know people who got to record their scripts on to tape for the Junior and Leaving Certs but to be honest I don't think they need that, I am sure some people do but their are others that don't and IMO abused the system to gain an unfair advantage. (But then that will always be the case).

For the leaving I got an excemption for Spelling and Handwriting. My handwriting is good. Spelling is ok. But then I don't have the worst form of dyslexia.

Edit: I found the Buzan's work to be very useful.. some Info

Yeah Mindmaps really work, everyone should use that method to study.

Advertisement