Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Wireless router from NTL.

• 23-02-2006 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

OK i think it would help a few people if those that have attenmpted to get the router would post exactly how they went about it.If you tried but didnt manage your expeariance would also be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Is anyone going to do this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is anyone going to do this?

It seems to be a matter of luck unfortunately:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Someone got a WiFi router from NTL? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I got one.

And it was ok.

The Router I got was a NetGear WGR614 Wireless router, and it came with a WAG111 usb wireless adaptor.

I did request one on the phone for the initial installtion, but they couldn't find my place and it got rescheduled, without a router. I told the engineer I asked for one and he gave it to me.

So:
    1) Ask for it on the phone when you get it installed
    2) Ask for it from the engineer when he arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jamax

But then, you get this router and the cable modem?

Is this free or it has an extra cost?

In they standard broadband installation they put the modem in your main tv point? Or is it included an extra point to put the modem in one room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

I got one too.
    If you go for the top package when they are installing it you get a very nice wireless router and usb wifi plug. You can downgrade after your 3 free months are up, and i think keep the stuff - but I think most keep the top package as its excellent.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jamax

What offer do they have now appart from this wireless router and the three free months and free installation.

I called them the oter day and I think the girl seaid something about free basictv for 1 year when you get broadband.

I am not sure as I just called to check coverage in my area.

Does anybody now about this, and what offer do they have now? Their website is useless it hasn't been updated in years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ozmo wrote:
    I got one too.
    If you go for the top package when they are installing it you get a very nice wireless router and usb wifi plug. You can downgrade after your 3 free months are up, and i think keep the stuff - but I think most keep the top package as its excellent.

Unfortunately it is not certain that you will get a wireless router irrespective of the package you sign up for.

I inquired when I was trying to get a friend to sign up for it and I was told that 'we are not giving them out yet' and another friend signed up for the 3mb package and I had her well tutored to ask for the router but the installer arrived without any and told her to ring NTL and she was told that she was not entitled to one!

Bascially it seems there is no formal scheme there so you cannot claim that you are entitled to one or anything. Maybe when they relaunc the service the router will be an integral part of the package - maybe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

When the engineer came to install ntl for me he knocked on the door with wireless router and adaptor in hand, without me saying a word. When I ordered bb over the phone I asked to have it installed by laptop and not desktop maybe that helps.....

turbot wrote:
    I got one.

And it was ok.

The Router I got was a NetGear WGR614 Wireless router, and it came with a WAG111 usb wireless adaptor.

I did request one on the phone for the initial installtion, but they couldn't find my place and it got rescheduled, without a router. I told the engineer I asked for one and he gave it to me.

So:
    1) Ask for it on the phone when you get it installed
    2) Ask for it from the engineer when he arrives

When you say "Ask for it on the phone when you get it installed"did you mean to say when order the package?

Also someone said that you have to get it installed in the mani TV area,Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Here's the deal: Your cable modem needs to be installed beside a TV point, and an official NTL point at that. To get the wireless router, you need to make sure your PC is far enough away from a TV point that it can't be wired, or that the wiring would be difficult and messy.

My TV points are in the sitting room, and in the master bedroom. I have a converted attic and my PC is up here. The attic guys put in an unofficial NTL cable TV point, just tapping it into the main line.

When the NTL guy installed (about 6 weeks ago I'd say), he had a look where the points were, and where the PC was. I acted dumb about the unofficial TV point, anyway it's on the other side of the attic and I said I didn't want wires all over the place.

So I got a wireless router and wireless USB key. I've since moved the cable modem and router up to the attic to the unofficial point, and it works perfectly. I neatly wired the PC directly into the router as I want the main PC wired in, but the wireless is great for my laptop.

Anyway, just make sure your PC is far from a TV point, and they'll probably give you one. I say probably as they are not obliged to give them out, and the engineer that installed mine only had two, and one turned out to be broken. So that day, I got one but the installs after me wouldn't have got any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 redbag

Just ordered 3 meg package today. There is 12 months free basic tv along with the 3 months. Also half price on digital for 6 months, but I wasn't really interested in that. Asked for wireless router and there was no problem.
    Also no charge for adding a second ntl point upstairs.
    All good so far... except for the next Saturday install being available on March 25th....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

My bro in law jsut got basic TV package and BB installed 2 days ago. Got the wireless router and adapter mentioned above. Don't think he knew he was getting it until engineer arrived to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Have your pc in the far end of the house from your TV point. I had mine in the next room and they gave me one because they weren't arsed to run 10 metres of CAT5.

every room in my house except one has an NTL tv point!!!!!!!!!!!Im going to put the pc in that room and try and hide the point in the next room.Also you know that free tv for a year we ordered our broadband about 3 weeks ago do we get the free tv channles ?Also i didnt get my mom to ask about the wireless router when she ordered ,will this affect my chances of getting it?should i ring then up againn and ask about it?

So what do you think i should do ?ring them up and ask for a router before they come?And the person that asked for it,what reason did you give them fo wanting it?

Advertisement