Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in this weekend!

Options
  • 23-02-2006 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey folks, finally moving into the park this weekend! ( fingers crossed we can close tomorrow and there is no last minute hitches).

For all those who are still to snag and close, our snagging was relatively painless. Just a few joinery problems that they put a man onto for a couple of days and it looks sorted now. The foreman Greg has been really helpful and always answered his phone!

By the way, Breretons gave us a quote for two bedroom carpets without underlay and two roman blinds. The lowest quote we got was 1600 euros, the highest 1800 euros. We didn't even choose expensive carpets and the rooms are on the small side in my opinion. Anyone else had this problem with them? Am tempted by Bargaintown to be honest!

BF and I are looking forward to joining you as an official Charlesland-Indian after reading this forum for what feels like years.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

You do know it's customary that when you move in you buy us here pints down in Script. ;)

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

Don't talk to me about Breretons. We had such hassle with them. They tried ripping us off by trying to sell us their cheapest carpets and crap underlay at a ridiculous price of about 1800 euro. We thought something was a bit fishy so we brought down someone who know's something about carpets and eventually got a price of 1500 including underlay for a decent quality carpets for the two bedrooms, landing and stairs in a two bed townhouse.

They told us they'd have it fitted in a week. Five weeks later we were still waiting and then the day they told us they were coming we sent someone down to let them in as myself and my boyfriend were working. They told us they'd be there at 11 and at 2.30 we got a call to say the carpets weren't even in the warehouse. We found out subsequently that they had known at 9 o'clock that morning that the carpets weren't there but never called us until the afternoon while the person we sent down was sitting in an empty house waiting for them.

After many arguments with them they eventually laid the carpets and did a good job but I think they had no choice after all the threats we gave them.

The guy who fitted the carpets admitted that they are very messy. He wasn't actually an employee of theirs, he was just hired by them to fit. He had numerous stories about them.

It's unfortunate that we are restricted to such a pack of cowboys but to be honest the quality of the carpets in bargaintown isn't great.

We even tried calling our solicitor to find out if we could get the voucher for somewhere else, but to no avail. The builder has a deal with Breretons and Bargaintown to get the stuff at a discount because they're buying in bulk.

Good luck with the move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there,

We also had a couple of problems with Breretons; the carpets they were trying to sell us felt like plastic to the touch, and weren't going to last. Getting an appointment for the fitting was a bit of a challenge, but when the carpets were in they looked great.

Do NOT go to them for blinds, Ru went to them for blinds and got different quotes for the same work, they said the wood he wanted was unavailable, and more problems (I'm sure he'll fill you in).

There are a load of people who do blinds at a much cheaper rate, and are a lot more efficient. We used "Fashion Blinds" to get vertical blinds put up on our patio doors, front door and bedroom windows and the total was around €500 all in.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

eoin_s wrote:
    Do NOT go to them for blinds, Ru went to them for blinds and got different quotes for the same work, they said the wood he wanted was unavailable, and more problems (I'm sure he'll fill you in).

I’m not going to go into the whole thing again so I’ll give you the short version.

Brereton’s are bloody fools who use incompetence to mask their blatant abuse of the vouchers that WE paid for.

If you do use them (and you will) just make sure you hound them. They will claim all is okay until the last minute when they realize that they never ordered you materials (happened to my sister in law).

HOUD THEM, PI55 them off, just don’t give them a chance to let you down because they will.

I haven’t paid them for my blinds because they haven’t finished the job yet!!!

They installed what blinds I have in the middle of December(which were the wrong ones), they rang once since then to ask for money………….guess what I told them.

I am going into them next week with the uninstalled blinds (they left them on the floor) and I will pay them for the installed blinds but not the rest of them. I’ll be going elsewhere and I will make a point of telling them.

Being a retailer myself I can’t understand how these people are in business, it boggles the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Guys,

I used Carpet Right in Sandyford Ind Estate for the carpets in my previous house and found them to be very good. They didn't try to rip me off and actually suggested that I don't buy a more expensive carpet I had picked out because it was not being made anymore and if I wanted to match up anything in the future it would be difficult!! The one they suggested was actually nicer and looked great!

They also arrived on the dot when they said they would, were in a fitted in no time at all and were generally pleasant to deal with!

Not sure if there is a carpet right near Greystones, but I will go straight to the Sandyford one if not because I suspect that even taking the "voucher" into account, they would still work out cheaper and a whole lot easier to deal with than Beretons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

well just to let you know i went with homelands in bray for my floors up in the crescent.

Fairly painless and they're going in on friday...
    1800 for 3 bedrooms, stairs and upstairs
    3500 for the hard wood floors in the living room and hallway.

I would think they were fairly resonable prices.
    All includes fitting, underlay etc for the carpets
    and fitting and removing and putting back on the skirtings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Ru wrote:
    I’m not going to go into the whole thing again so I’ll give you the short version.

Brereton’s are bloody fools who use incompetence to mask their blatant abuse of the vouchers that WE paid for.

If you do use them (and you will) just make sure you hound them. They will claim all is okay until the last minute when they realize that they never ordered you materials (happened to my sister in law).

HOUD THEM, PI55 them off, just don’t give them a chance to let you down because they will.

I haven’t paid them for my blinds because they haven’t finished the job yet!!!

They installed what blinds I have in the middle of December(which were the wrong ones), they rang once since then to ask for money………….guess what I told them.

I am going into them next week with the uninstalled blinds (they left them on the floor) and I will pay them for the installed blinds but not the rest of them. I’ll be going elsewhere and I will make a point of telling them.

Being a retailer myself I can’t understand how these people are in business, it boggles the mind.

My neighbour spent €8k in Breretons. The curtains etc. look good, but he said the blinds were at about 150 degrees instead of 180 and certainly not good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I got a quote for my Landing and stairs only...EUR800. The cheapest carpet they had was EUR32.50 per sq feet. We found the same carpet in Des Kellys in Sallynoggin for EUR16.50 per sq feet. When Breretons said EUR800, I nearly passed out! We still don't have carpet on the stairs and we are in the house over a year!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

try classic carpets in the homelands place in bray. we got a very good deal after turning on the charm a bit.. i think the guys name is kevin. 01 2761824. they came out and measured for us too, for free!

the carpet fitters are a bit like adam&paul, very funny to watch them too. :D but they do do a good job.

ps. 4 beds, 3 flights of stairs and 2 landings for €2.5k

Will most likley check it out over the weekend. Thanks for that!:D

• Advertisement

try classic carpets in the homelands place in bray. we got a very good deal after turning on the charm a bit.. i think the guys name is kevin. 01 2761824. they came out and measured for us too, for free!

the carpet fitters are a bit like adam&paul, very funny to watch them too. :D but they do do a good job.

ps. 4 beds, 3 flights of stairs and 2 landings for €2.5k
    yeah they're the guys im using for both my solid wood and carpet.
    very reasonable and accomidating.

Yeah his name is Kevin, or John os the other fella

Are they doing or have they done a good job? There is no point in paying for carpet for them to just throw it down and have a very bad finish

they coming in on monday

Let us know how they get on.

Thanks!:)

Advertisement