Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for the direction of the disability forum

Options
  • 23-02-2006 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

This forum is quite quiet at the moment so I was considering broadening the spectrum of discussion to include a greater variety of disablities that affect people in their everyday life from Aspergers to ADHD, from a C6 complete spinal cord injuiry to a person who's just gotten a hip replacement. From the discussion of Cerebral Palsy to that of Autism, sensory problems, learning disabilities and anything that fits under the disability heading. Mental illness also fits under the heading of disability as defined in the disability bill so it could be discussed here too (any threads of a more biomedical nature/ psychological nature could be automatically moved to their appropriate fora, and leave this forum to discuss how it affects people's everyday lives). In doing so we could attract more posters and a broader range of discussion.

So does anyone have any ideas for stickies/ possible threads that could improve this forum? Or anyones that should be taken down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Interesting sticky maybe:

"Wheelchair Accessible Places In Dublin"
    Where people could post names of venues / pubs / libraries / theatres / galleries / *insert place here*.
    Basically where people (with or without) disabilities could say they have been to and whether they would recommend it or not, and not just for wheelchair access, also maybe for "attitude of staff" etc etc?

I know of many places I have been that have been V. good or V. bad for such things and it would be V. handy to know of others *before* having to travel 10 miles to find out. ;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Just curios, is there anonymous posting here. and would like to see what the opinions of others would be for anonymous posting in A/M/D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I agree, if its not already enabled it might be somthing to consider. Specially in the area of people with or wanting to discuss MHD's who might not want to use their regular username.

Maybe also worth considering a (possibly Sticky?) thread about "Types of devices you have used, pro's & con's" ?

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And a list of acronyms. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

okay iv change the title around on another sticky to just assistive technology to cover all it's spectrums. Iv also stuck up a link for wheelchair accessible places.
    Im not sure if anonymous posting is allowed in this forum, maybe Amz knows whether it is or not. Im not sure if i would be completely in it's favour as it might be hard to control what's said although it seems to work okay down in PI. At this current moment in time there is no specific forum that deals with mental illness purely from a "how it affects people's everyday life" viewpoint. I get a few threads down in psychology but most of the time they turn into debates about medicine taking and I end up sending it down to Medicine as although i know a little bit I can't always tell if what people are posting is always accurate.
    It could be interesting to see the threads here are different to the ones started down in psychology/ PI (very few people ever start threads in medicine about it).

• Advertisement
Advertisement