Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting air out of central heating ?

Options
  • 23-02-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

The central heating in the house gurggles, splutters and generally makes lots of noise when running - im thinking there is air in the system - how do I go about getting this air out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

voxpop wrote:
    The central heating in the house gurggles, splutters and generally makes lots of noise when running - im thinking there is air in the system - how do I go about getting this air out ?
    A quick answer ! Turn on all rads. Bleed any that are cold on top (with a vent key). If no water comes out of some upstairs rads - re-fill the system. Check back recent posts to see how to do this.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I had a problem where I would keep bleeding the radiators but could never get them completely air-free. Turns out there was a "strength dial" on my furnace that I never knew about. It was only turned on half-way, so turning it up to full fixed our problem.

Also, I saw a tv show just last night where this couple were constantly bleeding the upstairs rads and finding them filling with air again.

The plumber did two things to fix it:

1. Moved the water pump from the return pipe to the supply pipe of the furnace. Basically, the pump had been pulling the cold water from the radiators into the furnace, now it was pushing the hot water from the furnace to the radiators. He explained that this meant the localised pressure areas throughout the system were now working to discourage the water from becoming aerated by the air in the expansion tank, whereas before they had been encouraging this.

2. Changed the expansion tank from an old-style "barrel containing air and water" to a modern "bladder expansion tank" where a flexible rubber seal separates the air from the water, allowing expansion but not aeration.

Hopefully, though, just bleeding them will fix your problem.

Advertisement