Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Q about performance part in NCT

Options
  • 23-02-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Apologies if this question has recently been answered here, but can someone clarify whether or not Lexus lights, Induction kits/performance air filters will result in a NCT fail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lexus lights should be illegal (unless on a Lexus)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As per Colm, but as Ivor Callely is gone then you should be fine unless any of the bulbs are not working or the lights are not red/amber/white enough.
    The induction kit is not relevant as it is the gasses coming out they are concerned with - not the gasses going in.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Lexus lights should be illegal (unless on a Lexus)

Care to explian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Lexus lights will pass if "E" marked. Induction kit's + Filter will pass if fitted correctly and isn't floating about the engine bay loosely.

And to ad a note, kbannon is right, they arn't the nicest on cars bar Lexus'
    ..But I do quite favour the black design 'lexus' styled lights like on my Ibiza..

Green%20Machine%20027.jpg
    Isn't the bets pic but shur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

didnt your car get crashed into a little while back??

didnt your car get crashed into a little while back??

Aye, an idiot in a Trueno was acting the d1ck after my car rolled out of a car show at the NEC in Swords and drove into the back of me while it was stationary in a carpark. Cars recently been overhauled and brought back to life thanks to my bodyshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 alan1978

Lads,

Just because Ivor Callely is gone doesn't mean that the government isn't going to ban modified cars. I was listening to Pat Kenny the other week on his radio show, he was talking about the death toll on Irish roads (most of the roadkill were foreign - he 4got to mention that). Apparently Minister Cullen has taken over responsibility for banning modded cars. :( Legislation to do so is making it's way through the Dail as we speak.

alan1978 wrote:
    Lads,

Just because Ivor Callely is gone doesn't mean that the government isn't going to ban modified cars. I was listening to Pat Kenny the other week on his radio show, he was talking about the death toll on Irish roads (.

And how many modified cars has killed someone on the road? None? :)

How many mid-aged people driving Mercs, BMW 520s, and the likes been stopped for drink driving / killing people on the road?

The government is targeting the wrong crowed without doubt. I noticed an oul' bloke in a bar drinking away, followed him out and off he drove in a 05 Merc. Reported he got and his reg given and location he was heading in.

That, and boy racers in 100 euro worth of car driving the nut out of it round a town nearly knocking anything that gets in his way, thinking there 'cool'.

There was a recent thread about the legalities of baning mods etc so can we please not start it again.
    However as for alan1978's point about the majority of road traffic fatalities being foreign - many of these were not driving when killed. I also don't think foreigners counted for 'most of the roadkill' - (roadkill is such an ignorant term!).

As for Progens question about middle aged Merc & 520i drivers (what about other 5 series owners?), I presume the ratio is similar to all other drivers arrested for DUI - which is farsically too low!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    As for Progens question about middle aged Merc & 520i drivers (what about other 5 series owners?), I presume the ratio is similar to all other drivers arrested for DUI - which is farsically too low!

I was referring to expensive'ish, large cars, that middle age people drive without a care in the world thinking there above everyone else on the road, no offence to any 5 series owners, or 3 series as I've owned myself.

No offence takes (Im not middle aged but I drive a 5). however, I don't think these drivers are stopped and breathalised less purely because of their car.

alan1978 wrote:
    Lads,

Just because Ivor Callely is gone doesn't mean that the government isn't going to ban modified cars. I was listening to Pat Kenny the other week on his radio show, he was talking about the death toll on Irish roads (most of the roadkill were foreign - he 4got to mention that). Apparently Minister Cullen has taken over responsibility for banning modded cars. :( Legislation to do so is making it's way through the Dail as we speak.

According to Max Power its all BS, the laws in question relate to tinted windows and loud exhausts not all after market parts.

In other words the same as the UK.

ronoc wrote:
    According to Max Power its all BS, the laws in question relate to tinted windows and loud exhausts not all after market parts.

In other words the same as the UK.

Max Powers BS anyway.

As for window tint and aftermarket exhausts, they will pass (providing you can actually see out of the windows - I dont have tinted windows for the simple fact, there factory tinted with a very light smoke, so look darker than they actually are at night).

Exhausts will pass as long as your CAT is there so emmissions don't fail. They also test for Noise Emissions which is on the NCT website.

Progen wrote:
    And how many modified cars has killed someone on the road? None? :)

That, and boy racers in 100 euro worth of car driving the nut out of it round a town nearly knocking anything that gets in his way, thinking there 'cool'.

I see guys in modified cars "driving the nut out of it round a town nearly knocking anything that gets in his way, thinking there 'cool'"

I don't buy this whole "Modified car drivers treat their car like a baby, and never drive iresponsibly because they have so much to lose" crap.

Re: E Marking on lights, It's not something they usually fail people on, as Japanese Imported cars don't have E Marked lenses

Fair eniugh, just because a car has Lexus lights, tinted windows and a Suped.ie sticker, doesn't mean they're bad drivers. I just find that an awful lot of drivers of modified cars drive like tools

colm_mcm wrote:
    I see guys in modified cars "driving the nut out of it round a town nearly knocking anything that gets in his way, thinking there 'cool'"

I think for many people who are looking for modified cars behaving badly will find them. Its a self fulfilling prophecy. Also its easy to single out the modified crowd because they are so visible and audible!

colm_mcm wrote:
    I don't buy this whole "Modified car drivers treat their car like a baby, and never drive iresponsibly because they have so much to lose" crap.

Granted, you'll get the odd one who buys a modified car, and wreaks havok in it. But do you really think anyone in there right mind would pour 10, 20 grand into a car just purely and simpley to drive it into the ground?

People who modify car's know there not going to get the money back they spent on it and they know it, I'm sure as hell not going to get the money I paid having my car done the way I want it, but I accept that... You'll get people coming along, not appriciated the ammount of work and hard graft gone into them, buying it for less than half it was built for, and well.. You get where I'm going..

It only takes one person who's into something to ruin for the rest..

You could say the same for english football fans, theres a few bad eggs out there to ruin it, but there not all like that.

If a modified car group gathers for a charity meet to gather money for a local charity, that doesn't get half the highlight as it would as a headline "Modified car owner crashes into lamppost" then of which, in the same article the reporter then goes on to talk about death toll and statistics of 2006, in which I highly doubt any modified car has killed anyone on Irish roads yet. Well, apart from your avrage joe soap in a honda civic with black windows that set him back 100 euro from the scrappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

there is no requirement for E marks on lights. the Lexus style rear lights should contain a red reflector. if it has'nt got one then it can fail because of it. the alternative is to fit a pair of red reflectors to the rear of the vehicle.

another area the Lexus lights fall down on is that the indicator light is often red instead of orange
    (my opinion would be that Lexus lights were cool in 1998, and in the subsequent 8 years have lost any novelty/impact they may have had when the Toyota Altezza hit Japanese streets nearly a decade ago.)
    Any chance of companies coming up with something original to replace this all-too-common mod?

colm_mcm wrote:
    another area the Lexus lights fall down on is that the indicator light is often red instead of orange
    (my opinion would be that Lexus lights were cool in 1998, and in the subsequent 8 years have lost any novelty/impact they may have had when the Toyota Altezza hit Japanese streets nearly a decade ago.)
    Any chance of companies coming up with something original to replace this all-too-common mod?

I've often seen light recess being flushed out from the back, and relocated on the back bumper (Ie ferrari f355 rears) - surely that would fail an NCT as they'd be rendered 'to low'..And ugly :D I'm sure I read somewhere they have to be a certain distance from the road.. or is that just upfront?

• Advertisement
Advertisement