Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eorcom BB Error 721 "remote computer not responding"

• 23-02-2006 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I have no BB for the past week (work from home so not funny...)

I see error 721" remote computer not responding".
    I have BB since it started in Dublin so have a reasonable idea of the issues.
    Have been using the old Alcatel USB speedtouch modem. I have downloaded the latest driver ( 4MB on dialup:-( ). Also used another old modem ( PCI d-link 100d) .
    Also a fresh computer that never had any BB install.

All show the same symtoms. DSL modem "syncs" with the exchange ( i.e. light stops flashing: stays on as per manual) and diagnostic says connecting, but always says the remots comouter will not respond. It would appear the DSL hardware in the exchange works but will not talk to the server in the exchange.
    I spent 2 exchruitating hours on the phone to Eircom "support" and that was a complete waste of time. I have logged a hardware service callout, but 5 days later no reply. Try phoning. Voicemail hell.

I am normally mild mannered, but right now I would murder with glee...

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds like the PPPoE connection isn't setup correctly.
    Have a read of this (http://support.intel.com/support/network/dslmodems/sb/CS-010087.htm).
    It may help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    Sounds like the PPPoE connection isn't setup correctly.
    Have a read of this (http://support.intel.com/support/network/dslmodems/sb/CS-010087.htm).
    It may help.

the final bracket is stopping the link working just in case you have not spotted it.

dub45 wrote:
    the final bracket is stopping the link working just in case you have not spotted it.
    Ta. Fixed now.:) Don't know if it will help him. Just something I came across before that sorted a similiar prob for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GerryA

Thanks for this info.
    I have done as it said, and all settings are correct. The problem is when I execute "ipconfig" I get the message "media disconnected".

Yet my dsl diagnostics display "hsk connected: up1024 dwn254 "

It's like the hardware (dsl modem) and s/w ( windows??) can't see each other.
    I have turned off windows firewall, and set/reset every setting I can find, recreated comnnections again, but no difference.

Also, my modem diagnostics appear to suggests that pactets are being sent when I try to log in, but no packets recieved.

Oh Oh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any chance of borrowing a more up to date modem/router just on the off chance that maybe something in the recent upgrades is not suiting your older modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Just a suggestion but if the system seems to not be able to see the router and the network device is down then it could be spyware, some spyware disables network connections!

http://www.lavasoft.com/

Download the personal ad-aware and run it, should clear up the prob. if its spyware related!
    GerryA wrote:
    Thanks for this info.
    I have done as it said, and all settings are correct. The problem is when I execute "ipconfig" I get the message "media disconnected".

Yet my dsl diagnostics display "hsk connected: up1024 dwn254 "

It's like the hardware (dsl modem) and s/w ( windows??) can't see each other.
    I have turned off windows firewall, and set/reset every setting I can find, recreated comnnections again, but no difference.

Also, my modem diagnostics appear to suggests that pactets are being sent when I try to log in, but no packets recieved.

Oh Oh

Based on the previous advice I bought a new Netgear ADSL Router/ Modem today. Very nice product... pity I still have no connection.

In summary, things are similar. I have a solid ADSL sync light on the modem, but it cannot let me connect with the net.
    I did a ping test....

pinging 159.134.237.56 with 32 bytes of data

reply from 192.168.0.1: Destination net unreachable

ping statistics for 159.134.237.56
    packets : sent = 4, recieved =4, lost = 0 (0% loss)
    approximate round trip time in ms:0
    min= 0ms, max=0ms, average =0ms
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway

I phoned eircom "support"
    Q1.. do you have the ethernet cable connected.. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH

Q2.. Thats strange, we see you as not connected but you have a solid ADSL light on the modem.. that can't happen.

Q3..This was escalated 7 days ago to the network engineers, but you still have not heard anything.... Oh well there is nothing we can do but I will go through all the settings if you want. aaaggghhhhhhh^10

Any comments or suggestions welcome..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Hi Gerry, Sounds like a software/driver conflict somewhere. What operating system are you using?. Would it be Windows 2000 by any chance ?

OS is Win XP Home

I will bring the lot to my office on Monday and try the dsl connection there.

If anyone is interested... it was as I expected a EIRCOM problem.

After 2 weeks, someone eventually phsyically fixed the exchange hardware and hey prests 2.6Mbps down, 364Kbps up real connection... better than ever.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Glad you got it sorted.

Advertisement