Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried

• 24-02-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 24 now and still livin at home,have a degree in computer science but since ive left college 2 years ago ive really struggled to get a job that i like, have had a few contracts but at the end of them ive been happy to just get out, what i'm really worried and depressed is that i'm goin to head off to Australia in a few months for a year but when i come back i'm worried about really settling into a job that i like and fit into, i also really want to move out but the price of houses mean im screwed, i know your thinkin "your goin to australia so dont worry" but thing is i cant hardly sleep thinkin about it, alot of my friends have got good jobs and are startin to move out and settle down with girlfriends but i'm single, i dont like the job im in at the moment either but im just hear now to save money for my year away, i really dont know what to do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You job is not your life, your job is what you do to pay the bills and it is helpful if it is in an area that you enjoy but you are not your job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It sounds like you're just really stressed and thinking about how stressed you are is making you worse. It's a vicious circle. I think the year out in Australia will really help. You'll be able to clear your head and relax. And who knows, by the time you get back, the prices of houses may have fallen dramatically! Also, you don't need to buy a house to move out, you could rent a flat, or move in to a shared flat with friends. Those options are a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Who says you have to come back from Australia?, that's the whole thing with life, you could go out there, see a great job opportunity/meet someone special and all of a sudden your perspective changes.. Don't decide what's going to happen before it does..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Take a cue from the continentals man, it's not a race. You don't know what will happen in the next year, so take it as it comes, you might decide to stay in Australia, you never know.

By stressing you're sabotaging your own efforts. The fact that you haven't found the right job just means you have a pretty good idea of what you want on some level, and you haven't found it. You have your degree, if you wanted to you could make a living teaching undergrads of your course, there's no pressure here, no physical reason for you to feel bad. It's all in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

If you dont like what your doing then don't do it,I used to work with a few people in a music shop who had degrees coming out of their asses , when I asked them why they were'nt working in their field they just said that they were much happier earning less money and being happy.

You are only 24, relax, everyone goes through it at some stage, take a break and head to oz and enjoy the locals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

I had the same worries except im 23 and dont have a degree! It was a toss up for me between going to Australia or staying home and saving for a deposit for a house. I chose Australia, im here at the moment and i have to say its the best thing anyone could ever do. When i get home at the end of this year i have a college course that im starting, will have big loans to pay but you really are only young once. Ill have to work in yet another job that i dont like to pay off my loans but ill find one i like eventually!
    I have friends at home that have either bought a house or are planning on moving out very soon. But they wont have the experience of having travelled and lived abroad for a year. Everyone's lives move at a different pace.
    Your whole outlook will change being away from home. Dont worry too much about the future and enjoy your year away.
    Things have a way of working out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

This is a funny thread...When I was 24 I was still living at home and had a degree in Computer Science hated my job and decided to head to Australia :D
    I'm 28 now ...wanna hear what happened lol

Australia was the best thing i ever did..not only is there so much work out there for your field but the money you can earn is insane..I went over there and was earning over 100k after 2 years out of college.

Spent 3 years there loved every minute of it...If you want contacts or any info PM me or keep it here on the thread and others might benefit.

you have to be careful in Auzz as recruitment agents are useless unless they are specialized IT agents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This is a funny thread...When I was 24 I was still living at home and had a degree in Computer Science hated my job and decided to head to Australia :D
    I'm 28 now ...wanna hear what happened lol

Australia was the best thing i ever did..not only is there so much work out there for your field but the money you can earn is insane..I went over there and was earning over 100k after 2 years out of college.

Spent 3 years there loved every minute of it...If you want contacts or any info PM me or keep it here on the thread and others might benefit.

you have to be careful in Auzz as recruitment agents are useless unless they are specialized IT agents...

That's awesome what other high spec jobs over there could you do apart from IT and Computers? I'd Like to back and have a nice job and be in the sun at 6 months of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well what other High Spec jobs beside IT and Computers ????
    What do you mean ? all the tech jobs will be IT related but there's so many fields you can get into over there , Banking, Services, Games industry etc...
    Melbourne is the best spot for IT work as there's every software and Finance company under the sun there...

And just for the record everyone hates their job ...it's who you work with and what you do with your free time that makes the differance.

I worked for the banks over there in their software departments and it's such a drinking/social work culture there it's insane.. we'd be have weekly sessions
    and parties all paid for by the bank and the work is easy..Most Irish who head there and look for serious work are hard working and even when we slack we still do more work than the Aussies ..so you always look good haha

Also in IT you can get sponsored there so easily..i was offered permanent residency nearly every few months...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks very much for all d advice everyone, some good advise there, yeah if you want you can post the contacts here for everyone, what sort of IT work where u doing over there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement