Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say Ramp (yes a good old fashioned Ramp)

Options
  • 23-02-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I think and yes only think..

We could be facing our worst cold spell, both intenisty wise and snowise
    wince February 2001. 6 or more days of severe frosts, snow shower,
    periods of more prolonged snow and maxima between 2-4c.

Its late February and were heading into March this cold spell is one of
    the beefiest possible..

I think we finally jumped the hurdle whether we just get a few snow showers
    and frosts or lots of snow is a different story but i think were pretty muched
    blocked in for a signifigant cold spell for at least a 5 day period from Sunday:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

When i term hard frosts i mean SEVERE FROSTS with temperatures
    down to -8c by midweek in the midlands and -4c widely even on coasts:)

Its not going to be nice for the unprepared..

Its coming.. finally:rolleyes: :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, its the end of Feb, and i am getting slightly enthused up..lets see how things look on Saturday before going nuts, at this time of year, it has to be PERFECT synoptically to give a decent cold spell, topplers etc..forget it..just will be rain like today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Agreed Longfield

Personally for here I dont like the look of the NW element in most of this.
    It could deliver to Meath and Dublin but down here probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Did someone say NWly???

FINALLY - FINALLY! :p:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That LP is much too far east for us to be caught in the occluded front. Ireland will be covered in a warm sector for the bulk of this and ppn would be rain but that's still 4 days away.

But the LP would need to radically alter for it to compare to Feb 2001. Also that event only really delivered in 2 particular spots, Dublin city and the coasts of Louth:).

Still though, cold nights are ahead.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Not that I know much about the ensembles but looking at Manchester in comparison to Dublin it certainly looks that we will be milder -

http://217.160.75.104/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

http://217.160.75.104/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

I hope I have posted the right links!

I think the Lords of Kobol are in danger of getting the sack...

That is all.

But the LP would need to radically alter for it to compare to Feb 2001. Also that event only really delivered in 2 particular spots, Dublin city and the coasts of Louth:).
    Uhm no.
    4 feet drifts in Roundwood co wicklow with roads blocked.

Guys the breakdown for next Thursday and Friday is 'interesting'. Widespread snowfall? (sorry posted this in the obs)

156_30.gif With Northerly to follow:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

theres little to almost no chance of seeing decent snow next week from looking at the charts... the mild air will be so close to us all the time, I just know in my heart all were gonna see is a bit of sleety stuff, maybe a few light snow showers for the lucky few and some night frosts, winter is just too far gone and the real cold isnt gonna get in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Met Eireann removed the 's' word from their forecast for the weekend :( They also seem to have postponed the drop in temperatures from today til tomorrow or Sunday..yesterday they were saying it'd be 5c at most today in the northeastern half, but today they're saying 6c or 7c :rolleyes:

Temp has dropped 3 degree's here since morning

The dewpoint has dropped by 5, I think,its now subzero

summary.gif

UKMO:

Cold or very cold at first with a mixture of clear or sunny spells and scattered sleet or snow showers. The showers more especially over north and east facing coastal areas, extending further inland at times, and perhaps also affecting exposed western promontories. Some heavy showers are likely in the east with several cm of snowfall possible, especially on high ground, whilst any accumulations elsewhere are likely to be slight. The showers dying out through the period allowing a more generally dry interlude to develop but becoming increasingly cloudy and unsettled from the west or southwest later with outbreaks of rain preceded by a spell of snow. Temperatures gradually recovering to near or even a little above average, except perhaps in the northeast where they may stay a little below normal.
    From http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html

Rtavn16217.png

Deffo snow in these temps Thursday night:D

I dont think we expected the cold until Sunday into Monday..

And Monday through to Friday look cold and potential snowy..

The front on Monday will makr the change to really bitter northerly
    winds but Sunday will be a cold dry day with temps of 3-6c.

Monday will see a band or rain head into Ulster this will quickly turn
    to sleet and snow as it pushes south and should be of snow on its back
    edge.

Then from Tuesday through to Friday we see the really cold stuff maxima
    of 2-4c dewpoints of -4 or -5c and lots of potential for heavy bursts of snow.

Then towards Friday/Saturday Low pressure will try to push up from the south but it will likely fail at its first attempt this event could lead to
    a real dumping of snow in more central and northern areas:)

Hmm, i'm not really liking the 06Z at all, its looking like a British and possibly NI cold snap now, here maybe some sleety stuff , but snow lying, reckon its v unlikely here in Dublin at least.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Oh and through this evening.. the precip is not as plentiful as i expected
    but a peppering of showers will be up and going on the east coast from now
    and will start to fall as snow as we go through the afternoon:)

Longfield wrote:
    Hmm, i'm not really liking the 06Z at all, its looking like a British and possibly NI cold snap now, here maybe some sleety stuff , but snow lying, reckon its v unlikely here in Dublin at least.

If the 6z came off snow would be lying in Dublin many times so your
    judgement on the 6z is fortunately incorrect:)

True if the mean ensemble line came off, i'm referring to the trend here, notice that instead of most of the lines after sun being <-8C after its now 1st of march before proper cold makes it.

So yes and no to what you are saying WC :)

I dont think we expected the cold until Sunday into Monday..
    The 850 temps on the 06z dont support that-they are worse than todays...
    And Monday through to Friday look cold and potential snowy..
    I'd have said wenesday through to Friday.As its only wenesday onwards that Irish 850 temps hit -8 and below(apart from later today in the south east where they hit -10 over wexford)
    The front on Monday will makr the change to really bitter northerly
    winds but Sunday will be a cold dry day with temps of 3-6c.
    It's already 3 or 4 degrees in the East so any further drop giving rain would be a surprise,I'd say they will rise and then drop back to what they are today again, which is borderline.The lower dewpoints will help,but only really if the air temp is 3c or below.
    Monday will see a band or rain head into Ulster this will quickly turn
    to sleet and snow as it pushes south and should be of snow on its back
    edge.
    Possibly but again the 850's are only -4 and -5 which wont help.
    Then from Tuesday through to Friday we see the really cold stuff maxima
    of 2-4c dewpoints of -4 or -5c and lots of potential for heavy bursts of snow.
    Well yeah from Tuesday night but we are really depending on precip and that will need little lows.
    Showers wont be much use south of Ulster unless the 850 temps hit -9 or lower.
    Then towards Friday/Saturday Low pressure will try to push up from the south but it will likely fail at its first attempt this event could lead to
    a real dumping of snow in more central and northern areas:)
    I'll replace the "will" with "might" there as by then we are firmly in FI territory (we're actually in FI on wenesday as well but hey!)

Oh and through this evening.. the precip is not as plentiful as i expected
    but a peppering of showers will be up and going on the east coast from now
    and will start to fall as snow as we go through the afternoon

Yeah as I said(if they are to be believed) the 06z has a tasty -10 850 cold pool over wexford and fringing south wicklow this evening.
    There should be some sort of accuracy at that short range... if GFS is any good at all it should get something right at 12 hours away??

Temp is a tad high by a degree(4.2c) for comfort but the dewpoint down here has fallen to -1c now for the first time which helps.

Anyway heres Wexfords nice 850 for tonight :P further up is -9 and from Dublin North -8 which is back in borderline territory.

tmp8505.png

• Advertisement

Ho Hum

I'd just like to announce that we've just had a light

Snow shower !!! here

Are you serious? Are you at sea level?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still rain showers here im afraid

Expect loads of snow, particularly in the Northern half of the country on Thursday and Friday next week as the breakdown low hits the bitterly cold air:D

darkman2 wrote:
    Are you serious? Are you at sea level?:rolleyes:
    Yes I am I wouldnt have posted that otherwise...
    Nothing since.

Now 3.8c and the dewpoint has fallen further to -2.7c

I'm 2 miles inland and 162ft above sea level-so as good as sea level really.

Earthman wrote:
    Yes I am I wouldnt have posted that otherwise...
    Nothing since.

Now 3.8c and the dewpoint has fallen further to -2.7c

I'm 2 miles inland and 162ft above sea level-so as good as sea level really.

Not much, if any activity here at the moment. Temp has plumeted though. 3C now:)

Thats what I'm wondering about.

Rosslare was reporting just 3c at lunch time and I've been hovering from 3c to 4 c all day.

Chop another 2 c off that and you are near zero assuming the northerly is supposed to be colder.
    Dewpoint has literally fallen through the floor since this morning and the wet bulb temp is down 4 or 5 c already aswell.

I've seen snow fall at 4c before obviously but I take 3 celcuis with a negative dewpoint as a guide to absolute min conditions for snow to be reasonably guaranteed.
    After this afternoons surprise,I'm happy that snow can and should fall next week but I dont know about sunday and monday if the upper air is as mild as the 06 suggested.
    Colder surface air though will help as of course will neg DP's.

Rel humidity dipping below 60%-hit 57% there for a while.
    Dewpoint dipped to -3.8c

These are very good signs

Bitterly cold here with a biting easterly wind. Cloud has been building
    and now looks abit onomious.. i would expect any showers this evening
    to fall as snow:)

• Advertisement

The reall bitter weather arrives on Tuesday

Rtavn961.png

Excellant chart that one of the best of the winter and only 4 days away:)

PS. The sky is very threatening here. the question is.. will it snow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement