Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say Ramp (yes a good old fashioned Ramp)

Options

Comments

Bitterly cold here with a biting easterly wind. Cloud has been building
    and now looks abit onomious.. i would expect any showers this evening
    to fall as snow:)
    Without a doubt 2 or 3 c with dewpoints of -2 or -3 c

The precip needs to form though-pressures still a bit high and rising unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Really looks like a classic set-up next week.

After a bitter Tuesday and Wednesday with snow showers and more prologed
    outbreaks a real dumping of snow is possible as LP move up against the
    Greeny High only to be rejected swinging the cold air from the east:)

Rtavn1381.png

These used to be dreamy +384hr charts now there dreamy +132

Rtavn1561.png

chart of the run I think

Bring it into the bank manager and ask for a loan to open up a ski resort :p

Rtavn16217.png

Coldest chart i have ever ever seen for Ireland:eek:

*if* that was an accurate picture (its FI yet unfortunately) you can bet that those low temps would be anywhere ten or 20 miles inland probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A VERY (and I mean VERY) brief snow shower here in Carlow town. This has to be the coldest day of the week by far! Very dark and gloomy too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Ok
    If and i say if you were to put your neck on the line when do you think (if) we will see snow :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snow storm slightly further south on the 12z. Probrably will be slightly further north. Anyway the East South and midlands would have loads of snow, blizzard conditions:D

Well theres a few light showers near the isle of man heading towards Dublin in the next couple of hours

But as for next week its all up in the air yet.
    The NWP run that we've just looked at could change subtly and we'd have no snow.
    I dont thrust these things more than 96 hours out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Earthman wrote:
    Uhm no.
    4 feet drifts in Roundwood co wicklow with roads blocked.
    My mistake, my statement was based on that snow coverage chart that Mothman posted a while back. A part of Antrim also did well AFAIR.

We have had intermittent snow grain showers since 1630. Area towards Skerries looked the cloudiest and hardest to see, followed by the end of the cooley penninsula. Cooley Mts. didn't seem snow covered though.

Charts for Friday are incredible. A -10 in Munster:eek:

• Advertisement

more snow flurries here in the last half hour.

Temp 3.3 and dp -2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

TV3 Weather mentioned snow as a possibility for next Wednesday..(for what it's worth, though I know Martin King's word isn't worth a lot round here ;))

It's been pretty cloudy all afternoon here (west dublin) but haven't seen any precipitation since the early afternoon (which was just pretty heavy hail/sleety stuff).

Dewpoint at M2 is below zero and the temp out there is only around 4c, which is actually way better than at times in the february spell last year when it was maybe 1c dp and +6 air temp.

Downside for the moment... the pressures high and theres little or no activity in the Irish sea bar a weak line thats trying to develop near the isle of man.

Air temps certainly heading the right way despite the wind
    2.9 now and the dp down to -2.6c
    Wind gusting to near 30mph Brrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In the spirit of the thread, and because I've given little to cheer about, I checked Metcheck for Thursday night next week. ;)

Still FI of course but the amount and type of ppn forecast then is astonishing. The peak of the ppn is over Wicklow on this run with more snow than rain northwards and vice versa southwards. Over 6 inches is forecast for the night in Louth, the most I've seen for here on Metcheck:) Dublin had 20.3 cms if you use the x10 multiplier but it turns to sleet.

This could be very exciting should the runs hold their course over the next few days. But the likelihood of that happening...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What would be the chances of Navan of getting a bit of snow over the next week or so? Hope it does, the school might be shut and I won't have to do the mocks:D , until I come back:( . Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmmmm, some rain showers today, 850's @ - 8- currently.

Its the end of Feb, -10 or better imho is needed for proper snowfalls here unless high up.

Dark blue is snow at sea leval, light blue is snow in high areas.

Dublin

MS_Dublin_avn.png

London

MS_London_avn.png

Manchester

MS_Manchester_avn.png

If anyone here near the east coast sees lying snow >3cm in the next week i'll be very suprised (unless they live considerably inland and at elevation)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The 18Z moves us more upwards in terms of temps, this is going south.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Hi im new to the board.Im a mad snow fan, i couldnt believe that there are so many like me.I have 2 travel from Kildare 2 Derry on thursday what are the chances of me making it?

Welcome Cornilius,

Yep, we're all snow mad here, only problem is that we just aint getting the snow. We live in hope but all too often are dissapointed :( .

What are the chances of bad weather on Thursday? Well going by past experience and what I see on here I doubth next Thursday will be any different to today (perhaps a bit colder?), but one of the experts will give you a better description.

Remember, its next Thursday so no one can say for sure.

All the best,

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well its getting interesting, the 06z run seems to pusing the mild weather further south, but by my reading we'll be very lucky to see any kind of decent snow in Carlow, it's going to be cold though very cold.

FI is very interesting, if it was to come off the first week and a half of March would be cold, very cold.

• Advertisement

Not sure where that low is going to go,but it has a higher likelyhood I think of going more north than south
    But then this is a different synoptic set than normal and the jet is south way more south than normal-so we shouldnt automatically expect the normal..

It's pointless speculating where it will go untill nearer the time,ie tuesday/wenesday-but if it came today,snow would be confined to above 1500 ft assuming it was positioned to keep the cold sector over us.

Temp is 1.5 degree's higher here today than yesterday which incidently is good for the reliability of the GFS within 12 hrs.
    Yesterday it had -10 850's over wexford and it snowed.

UKMO fax charts are expecting a lot of shower activity in the Irish sea once the northerly goes through,that may fringe the East coast at times if its very organised but it will be exceptional if it does.
    There is a precedence for heavy shower activity in the Irish sea arising out of a northerly to fringe the East coast and thats the october 2003 thunder storms that gave downpours and thunderstorms in the Dublin area and down as far as wexford.
    24 hrs of thunderstorms.
    Will this do the same?? Thing is, if it did, you'd have massive quanties of snow in Dublin...

Hmmm thunder snow :eek:

Widespread snow on Tuesday anyone??

Rtavn782.png

Rtavn784.png

Yes please WC :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

WC, do we not need to be under the -10 line?

Rtavn1441.png

............. I wish!:rolleyes:

Felixdhc wrote:
    WC, do we not need to be under the -10 line?

No, anyway 850 figures would be down to -8 and -9c

Those charts would definately give snow:D :D:D:D

Dew points around -3c in Dub with maxes of 4c

Reading net-weather just there and the general feeling seems to be that the East & North of the UK will only get snow, rain in the West followed by frost. How would we get snow and the west of the UK get rain?

and for the fun of it, what depth estimates do you have for Tuesday if above charts come off? :)

Felixdhc wrote:
    Reading net-weather just there and the general feeling seems to be that the East & North of the UK will only get snow, rain in the West followed by frost. How would we get snow and the west of the UK get rain?

and for the fun of it, what depth estimates do you have for Tuesday if above charts come off? :)

Well i dont know what you reading..

But you might be getting mixed up with the band of wintry showers heading
    south during Monday... these will likely fall as sleet or rain. But behind this
    cold front the real cold air arrives..

I couldnt guess at a snow depth at this stage as im only viewing 1 GFS run.

and out to +180hrs it remains slightly cool:rolleyes: :D

Rtavn18017.png

Thats at 12 midnight! what temps would we have a 6am over deep powder??:eek:

• Advertisement

Well i dont know what you reading..

But you might be getting mixed up with the band of wintry showers heading
    south during Monday... these will likely fall as sleet or rain. But behind this
    cold front the real cold air arrives..

I couldnt guess at a snow depth at this stage as im only viewing 1 GFS run.

yeah, it probably was the showers Monday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement