Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lords of Kobol say Ramp (yes a good old fashioned Ramp)

Options
13»

Comments

Well all I can say ,leaving models aside for once...

5 or 6c today and 3 or 4c yesterday with a 20 to 30mph wind off the Irish sea and thats all the temp could climb to...

Assuming this air from the north is as cold as it should be, it's going to be an interesting week.

The wind is progged NW now for Tuesday so,I aint going to see much in the way of showers unless a little system flows down-but I'd say Dublin Northwards and more so meath Northwards could see a lot.
    Ulster is in Prime position as is North Connaught and possibly west Munster.

Mainly dry here I'd say unless theres a lot of precip and the quantity and position of it is a bit of a nowcast situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think we can expect a few disturbances in the flow too Earthman:D

And and in the next 3 hours there an outside chance of some snow i mean
    outisde but a luster of showers is forming over northeastenr areas off
    the coast these will push down the coast as the night progresses.
    With a temp fo 5c here and DP of 0c.. abit more dropping and you never
    know.. 850hpa temps expected to dip back to around -6c also:)

Rtavn16817.png

-3c in valentia in the middle of the day...

I dont think so!

The UKMO has a polar low moving down the Irish sea:D

ukmtc2.cgi?time=2006022512&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=132hr

= Lots of snow for EAST Ireland!!!!!

I'd be very surprised if Dublin didnty have lying snow at some stage
    next week, by that i mean 1inch or more;)

• Advertisement

The UKMO has a polar low moving down the Irish sea:D

ukmtc2.cgi?time=2006022512&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=132hr

= Lots of snow for EAST Ireland!!!!!

possibly not if it takes that track into the cheshire gap.
    They only put that on the map as indicative just as they put convergence convective zones in the Irish sea on their fax charts last night.

I reckon theres potential for an awfull lot of activity in the Irish sea but a NW flow would clear it well away from the East coast.

Remember the thunderstorms that went on for over 24hrs in Dublin in Oct 2003-they were off the Irish sea but in a straight northerly where the activity was very vigorous.
    A day like that in snow would dump 8 inches or more...

But a NW wind is almost ruling it out for here but ruling it in for north Wales and the chesire gap

They'll be stealing our snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Met Eireann are using the 'S' word again...:D :D

"3 Day Outlook:
    Monday will be mainly dry and bright with sunny periods. Early frost clearing only slowly. A band of wintry showers spreading from the north later Monday evening and night. Tuesday will be a bitterly cold day in a fresh to strong northerly wind. All areas will have some bright or sunny periods, but there will be a few scattered showers also – any showers are likely to be wintry, with hail or snow possible in places. Staying very cold during Wednesday also, but winds will be on the decrease. Many areas dry, but a few scattered wintry showers in places, mainly in the north and northwest.
    "

So at least 5 days of severe winter weather awaits us from
    Monday evening, snow, ice and severe frosts will sweep through
    Ireland with the possibility of severe weather from Wednesday,
    not bad really is it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Hi Guys

Just looking at this from an "outsiders" point of view but how accurate do the charts ect be?Ive kept an eye on the snow threads before and noticed the big build up and then nothing,eg by looking over previous posts i thought it was due on thursday but the most i saw was lashing rain in Dublin!

Has the countrys climate changed significantly that a few days heavy snow is practically a thing of the past?

Tuesday could well be a very snowy day:D yes Tuesday:D

Rtavn724.png
    Rtavn722.png

:eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

eireal, its rediculous ramping.

Its almost march, any thoughts of snow drifts etc should be confined to the 80's, it doesn't happen any more.

There may be some sleety showers in Dublin (low probability) in the next week, but i'll put ketchup on my hat and eat it if there is anthing like 1inch (or more) lying for 24 hours.

Maybe some sleety stuff, thats it, anything else is wishful thinking in a modern winter here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    eireal, its rediculous ramping.

Its almost march, any thoughts of snow drifts etc should be confined to the 80's, it doesn't happen any more.

There may be some sleety showers in Dublin (low probability) in the next week, but i'll put ketchup on my hat and eat it if there is anthing like 1inch (or more) lying for 24 hours.

Maybe some sleety stuff, thats it, anything else is wishful thinking in a modern winter here.

Look above Longfield:D :p Now thats +72hrs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It does look fantastic WC, problem is its not January or December, I bet it gets downgraded in every run from now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

March 1st

Rtavn961.png

Rtavn9617.png

AHHHHH YES... Longfield im very sceptical like you but i really really really
    think that yes i know i've said many a time.. but finally if things are similar
    tomorrow we will be facing the severest spell of winter weather for a
    few years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The latest Met Eireann forecast mentioned the 's' word a number of times. Basically..

Monday: band of preciptation moving down over the country from the north, probably rain and sleet but possibly snow in places

From Tuesday: getting colder still, hail, sleet and an increasing risk of snow showers.

Said to tune in tomorrow for the Farming forecast for more details :p

Met Eireann have been pretty conservative about even mentioning snow as a possibility up till now, so I'm guessing there's a better chance this coming week than last.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

18z looks good but the sun will quickly melt any snow that falls, thats if any falls. But it will be cold very very cold.

irish1 wrote:
    18z looks good but the sun will quickly melt any snow that falls, thats if any falls. But it will be cold very very cold.

Just chilly :)

Rtavn10817.png

:):D:D:D:D:D:p

I've never seen temps like that on GFS at this closeness.. its likely
    things would be even colder than that:eek:

It looks like its coming through folks:D

I better do my homework so i wont be busy this week! Maybe spend
    10 hours doing homework to be free this week!

Ahh sure i'll be snowed in from Thursday:p :D

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn1081.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I cant take this run!!!!!!!!!

I must not believe my eyes!!

The best run i have ever ever ever ever seen:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rtavn1261.png

Earthman you like???:D :D

Your gonna have to find some clothes folks!

Gonna be down to -10c next week:D :D:D

Thursday is a long way off yet WC, if that came through you certainly wouldn't have to worry about doing homework. It will be cold but I think you'll have to head north for any decent snowfall.

• Advertisement

Weathercheck is going to be resurrected for this week!!:D

You have very highly thought of People on TWO calling this the
    best model run for 5 years and since the beginning of TWO:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

:eek: 120_30.gif

Amazing charts:D

So basically model consensus is that Ireland will face a week with maxima
    only rising in the sun to 4c.. generally 2-4c. With widespread and heavy
    snow showers, dew points down to -5c on average. Night frosts with
    temps widely below -6c. 3 or 4 longer spells of snow and then a breakdown
    with heavy snow towards the or after next weekend.

I would be surprised if DUBLIN didnt see at least 2 inches of snow lying
    at some stage:) probably more

Ok so I have a gaf in Maynooth and another in Tullow, which in your opinion WC has the better chance of seeing lying snow going on the 18z charts?

irish1 wrote:
    Ok so I have a gaf in Maynooth and another in Tullow, which in your opinion WC has the better chance of seeing lying snow going on the 18z charts?

Maynooth:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement