Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start??

Options
  • 24-02-2006 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So... put yourself in my position... you are finally ready to come out... you think... but then the ugly question raises its head: Where do I start interacting with other gay people? As in... do I turn up at the George with a sign around my neck saying "adopt me I'm gay!" (tragic twist on sarcasm there)

Would really appreciate advice from others who have gone through the same thought process. For me it's all very well being gay, accepted it a long time ago to be honest, but have been unable to figure out what to do NEXT.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and gain some experience before "coming out", might make the process easier... but the question again is where to start??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Depends what age you are. I think it's easier when you're young as you have youth groups (www.belongto.org), college LGB socs and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

The LGBs are definitely a great place to start. They helped me immensely!

The GCN lists loads of groups. One that caught my interest recently is the Front Runners Group - a club that meet up once a week for jogging in the Phoenix Park. There are loads of different groups depending on your preferences. Do a bit of research and see what takes your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dynamis

This is an interesting one!!!

How to integrate oneself into the 'big gay world'? It seems the norm that when one has come out, there exists a desire to fully submerge oneself in categorisation, to lather oneself in all things gay. My question, is this a necessity? Maybe my thinking is completely unfounded. Please point it out, if that be case.

At least initially, the above can be the case. I would not suggest launching yourself into the George but rather make an effort to extend your social circle in general. It is amazing what comes to the surface when you make an effort to talk with that interesting looking randomer at the theatre, cinema, tesco check out.

I am in no way suggesting hook ups here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers folks... good suggestions there. Will be checking out the LGBs, makes sense and seems a good resource to have alright - might even check out the supermarket queues too!

In terms of submerging oneself in the categorisation: When you've spent so long avoiding it, I suppose when reality hits you need to make a bit of an effort to buy into "being" gay. I'm not exactly talking about buying the t-shirt here, just a starting point to interact - I take the point though, gay society isn't exactly another world unto itself... maybe just being more open will reap results.

Cool. I think I'll go to tesco now! Ha...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dynamis

I once had the idea that tesco should have a gay night. Then I realised that every night is gay night in tesco, well at least Baggot St.

I tried the college lgbt thing for a while. I found it very open, welcoming and a great place to meet new people. I have not being attending recently. I tried the being 'more open' thing and hey, my social life went off the wall.

A concerted effort to meet more people as opposed to just meeting more gay people.

Anyway square, you seem like a very articulate guy. I am sure you will have no problems!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well my approach was to get to know a few gay people here on Boards, they brought me out to some gay venue's and I took it from there. I really threw myself in at the deep end in a lot of respects, but I was late in coming out, for me I felt if I didn't give it a huge effort I would never fully accept it, I'm for the most part, happy enough with how it turned out.

Advertisement