Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router.... NETGEAR W614.6 - Is it possible to Partition Bandwidth

• 24-02-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have a broadband connection in the house... (it's horrendously slow, but it works at least... yes.... it's IBB).

Anyway let's get over that terrible point first....

The main thrust of the problem is this: Can we divide the connection speed between two computers equally? The speed is actually not too bad when we're just surfing the web. We have a Wireless Router (Netgear WG614) and it is... totally unsecure. We've only just got it working.

However, we have two computers connecting to this wireless router in the house. One computer is dowloading stuff constantly, and therefore, the other computer is terribly slow - sometimes even for checking emails.... or looking at a website with a few graphics.

Is it possible to configure this set up to say divide the connection speed equally? Given that it's IBB, we'd like to be able to do this... if it were a decent connection, we'd be fine, but there's a lack of availability in our area.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not with the router you have.

Why not get rid of Bitorrant or what ever it is and just download stuff you really need. Download Films and Music in Tesco to save valuable IBB BB bandwidth.

In terms of download speed a 40 km round trip on a Moped to download a good selection of DVDs beats ANY BB service in Ireland.

Using GB sim sized memory cards on a Homing pigeon not only beats IBB, but all the other services too.

Or use Satellite for listening to music and video. Works 10,000 time better than Internet for Broadcast media (no use for gaming though) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

I'd agree fully watty - we're a 10 minute walk to Tesco ;).... we just have a flatmate who we call "download boy" who basically sucks every last bit of bandwidth there is.... and yes it's bit torrent or whatever you call it.... downloading 3 or 4 fekking movies at a time... eeejit!

Thanks for the feedback.

Collumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Colm block ports and piss him off I'll teach you over the weekend !!

a nice WEP and WPKA password to torrent sites would be a pisser too ;-)

anotherway is to pass the router through a second LAN port on your PC (your pc become a hardware router) (if you have one) and download software to regulate the speed to the wireless router !

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Collumbo wrote:
    I'd agree fully watty - we're a 10 minute walk to Tesco ;).... we just have a flatmate who we call "download boy" who basically sucks every last bit of bandwidth there is.... and yes it's bit torrent or whatever you call it.... downloading 3 or 4 fekking movies at a time... eeejit!

Thanks for the feedback.

Collumbo

Heres a crazy idea... have you tried asking him to take it easy downloading. In my last house I had a similar ish prob and we just talked it out, after that it was fine.

Also whos name is the account in. If hes downloading movies and its in your name you should nip that in the bud now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Heres a crazy idea... have you tried asking him to take it easy downloading. In my last house I had a similar ish prob and we just talked it out, after that it was fine.

Also whos name is the account in. If hes downloading movies and its in your name you should nip that in the bud now.

Proabably the best way ! I'd fook his pc out the window :D if one person was hogging bandwidth, I had the same probelm but a password on the wireless router which I changed when speeds slowded down would pee my lodger off !

torrents through the night and when nobody else wants it is fine imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He could limit his up and down speed in whatever torrent client he's using. If he uses about 3/4 of the bandwidth that other 1/4 should be fine for just web browsing.

Although you are with IBB so......

He could also consider using the BitTorrent client, Utorrent. It has a built in scheduler which changes bandwidth allocation according to the time specified by the user eg. at night it could be set to use all available bandwidth and less during the day

Advertisement