Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visual c++ 6 vs .net

Options
  • 24-02-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

newbie quesiton here! what is the difference between visual studio c++ 6 and the .net products, other than being newer.

i dont have much exp in vc++6 and none in .net

is it worth while moving to .net

im building a inventory tool using WMI

thx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm not entirely sure about C++, but I know as a Visual Basic programmer that the language has changed completely from VB6 to VB.NET, which took a bit of getting used to, but it is simpler to do alot of stuff now, with the new language. AFAIK the language hasn't changed (much) in C++

If you just want to try it out without forking out money for .NET you can download the express edition here

The express editions are quite good, and if you aren't planning to use C++ for your job or anything, the express editions will be all you need. When you download it, it will work for 30 days. To get it to work for life you need to register (which is free, all you need is a hotmail email address [or a MS Passport one])

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Visual Studio .Net versions have newer versions of the C++ compiler with more complient STL libraries from Dinkumware.

You have the option of using standard C++, or the managed microsoft version which is comparable to c# and vb.net compiling to bytecodes.

Advertisement