Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard-fi "Cash Machine" Bassline

• 24-02-2006 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I heard the lastest single from Hard-Fi - "Cash machine"- on the radio the other day, and the bass line immediately reminded me of another song... I get the feeling it's been "heavily inspired", i.e. outright nicked, from another song. I guess it's from a tune from the early nineties... maybe Sting (????)... Anyone recognise the bass line from this otherwise uninteresting song?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

terrible song, terrible lyrics, terrible band....so i wouldn't be surprised if they nicked the bassline tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would it be a Clash track??

I have mash-up of Hard-Fi v The Clash ... bass line its in perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

terrible song, terrible lyrics, terrible band....so i wouldn't be surprised if they nicked the bassline tbh.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

Brilliant band, brialliant lyrics, brilliant song..

prove it. Post up some of his lyrics. Lets have a gander.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Brilliant band, brialliant lyrics, brilliant song..
    agreed

agreed
    PROVE IT!!!

here is some lyrical bliss from hard-fi,

"I try to phone a friend
    My credit's in the red
    I try to skip the fare
    Ticket inspector's there"

"What am I gonna do
    My girlfriend's test turned blue
    We tried to play it safe
    That night we could not wait"

"i got my hair just right.....i might go out tonight"

thats jibberish man! i could have written those lyrics while i was in primary school. Not exactly what i would call a top class band in fairness. The words
    flavour and month come to mind......that month has long gone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Ah but their imagery is very good, every time i see a cctv sign i think of them, its quite annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Very much a band who were in the right place at the right time. They're not bad, but not brilliant.

I cant imagine album number 2 and 3 being very good and nothing else beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

I don't see the bass line as a rip off. Even if it is, it's not the main part of the song - like a town called malice by the Jam is just taking the p!ss.

Anyway, Hard Fi are a great band.

Depends what you're looking for in your tunes.
    It's not often that you can relate to a band and we're there coming from, but
    I can relate totally to a band like Hard Fi.

No money in his bank account. Def been there.
    Got on a bus without paying and dodging the inspector, done that too.

I don't think you need to disect the lyrics, it's just the situation.
    Much better than crap like the Kaiser Chiefs or any Irish crap like Bell X1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Much better than crap like the Kaiser Chiefs

In all fairness, I don't think there's a whole lot to choose between them and Kaiser Chiefs. Stars Of CCTV is average, ditto Employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Originally Posted by Rollo Tamasi
    terrible song, terrible lyrics, terrible band....

"she love me yeah yeah yeah, she loves me yeah yeah yeah, she loves me yeah yeah yeah yeah"

now tell us all the Beatles were sh1t too... come on... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

but if they hadn't grown as a band we'd never have known the beatles, well not as well as we do anyway. this band (hard-fi) are a case of right sound right time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 anti-uncle

"i got my hair just right.....i might go out tonight"
    Sorry I just thought that needed to be repeated

radioman wrote:
    "she love me yeah yeah yeah, she loves me yeah yeah yeah, she loves me yeah yeah yeah yeah"

now tell us all the Beatles were sh1t too... come on... :rolleyes:

i'm not a great fan of the Beatles but that line you quoted is timeless whereas Hard-Fi will be soon forgotten....do you remember the Futureheads? same boat as Hard-Fi.

I could probably list off some more bands that have appeared out of no where in the past two years but the majority have disappeared and look no where capable of returning to a music scene which has never before seen so many new bands becoming the next big thing. Its Bollix i tells ya.

I wrote before on my own site that reality tv shows and boy bands and the like are leaking into indie music, you only have to look at a band like Busted, and now Hard-Fi, to see how fake the "new vegetarian" rock genre is becoming! its gone to pants for the large part. But of course some good bands have come out it...such as the Coral and The Zutons but for the most part all these bands sound alike for me.

Hopefully the singer songwritter field won't become too contamenated and we will get more gems like Jim Noir in the near future. Love that guy like a gay man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

do you remember the Futureheads? same boat as Hard-Fi.

Well i would have to disagree with you. Yes i remember the Futureheads.. no, i don't think they have been 'forgotten' and i think there is no comparison to Hard-Fi. (Futureheads have a new album out in May apparently). Personally i think they are in a different league and i find them far more interesting than their more popular "contemporaries" such as the already mentioned Kaiser Chiefs. Maybe its because the Futureheads remind me of a cross between Devo and Wire.. i dunno, but i like them.

Anyway i digress. I agree with whats been said about Hard-Fi. The lyrics are best not looked at too closely. The album is so-so...nothing too radical or offensive (ie its not really bad or really good). Not my cup of tea really but its a solid pop album, and i don't think it has any pretensions beyond that.
    I wrote before on my own site that reality tv shows and boy bands and the like are leaking into indie music, you only have to look at a band like Busted, and now Hard-Fi, to see how fake the "new vegetarian" rock genre is becoming! its gone to pants for the large part. But of course some good bands have come out it...such as the Coral and The Zutons but for the most part all these bands sound alike for me.

I would disagree with the idea that Busted (a boy band marketed to pubescent girls) and Hard-Fi (an 'indie' band marketed to early twenty-somethings suffering from club culture nostalgia) are somehow from the same 'scene'? Busted are/were Indie? I know Indie is a much abused catch-all, vague and fairly meaningless term, but describing Busted as being Indie is bizarre. And the Coral and the Zutons are somehow connected as well? They came out of 'it'? I'm not following your argument. The only connection i see there is that they are all English and released albums in the last few years.

If you are talking about record company marketing strategies, music bandwagon-jumping and music press hype (and their love of genre category creation and lumping bands into 'scenes')... well that's certainly not a recent phenomenon.

If you are saying that at any given time, there are some crap popular bands and there are some good less popular bands, well that's hardly much of an insight, now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

So no one has heard the bassline in another, earlier song, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Hard Fi are sh*t!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

you are sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You are both banned!

• Advertisement
Advertisement