Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs Floorboards

Options
  • 24-02-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Recently we noticed a lot of the floorboards under the carpet were squeaking which has progressed to what I can only describe as unlevel boards and what feel like small gaps appearing.

Lifted part of the carpet to see what was underneath and found we have what appear to be attic board tpye flooring but it looks like its not nailed down or secured very well , the boards appear to have some stains like there was water damage and also looks like some of the boards are pulling apart.

So that being said I want to get it sorted , have faced up to the fact that the boards might all have to be lifted and replaced.

Looking at this positively before pulling my hair out and thinking about getting some insulation put in the cavity at the same time. Can anyone recommend who I can go to to get this done , carpenter / builder would be looking to get 2 rooms and a landing at this stage. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I notice this hasn't been responded to yet, so I'll have a go.

If you're going to get someone in, a carpenter is your best bet. Being in Dublin, there must be plenty to choose from. Ask your friends for a recommendation. It seems you have the same flooring as I do upstairs, ply sheeting (which should have been fitted properly, given that it was presumably put down when the house was built which would date the home from the 70s on-unless it has been renovated) under deal or pine tongue and groove flooring, which may not be as secure. Being optimistic, the water marks may simply be old spills that were never mopped up, unless they are localised in one area. Even at that, there should be evidence of leakage on the ceiling below. Is there?

If the ply appears solid, and there is no evidence of water leakage, then it may be sufficient to ensure that the floorboards are properly fixed with screws through the ply/chipboard, to the joists below. Pull some of the screws/nails in the boards, and see how long they are. They should be a minimum of 1.5 inches to ensure proper fixing. If not, or if there aren't enough, then you have found your problem. Bear in mind that insulation in the floor space will have little advantage, provided your attic and exterior walls are insulated. The attic is easily checked, and if the insulation is the old loose stuff, then laying new will have much greater benefits than pulling up your whole floor.

If you have any doubts about driving screws into your floor (given that there are pipes and cabling under there), or if you are not satisfied as to the security of the ply, then it's time to speak to a carpenter.

HTH

Roundy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A lttle talcum powder down between the boards is an old remedy for squeaking.

Advertisement