Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house moving provider??

Options
  • 24-02-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I just bought a house, it already has a broadband connection.

Is there any restriction on me changing provider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

What type of broadband connection is it, for example: cable, DSL or wireless? Going by statistics, I am guessing it is DSL. Typically, new DSL connections in Ireland come with a 6-month contract, however after that period you may move freely between providers. Mind you, it is possible you might be left without service for a few days while Eircom do their thing.

It is also possible you may have to pay a nominal connection charge to your new provider. For example, while DigiWeb provide free connections to new customers, if you already have DSL, they ask you to pay €40 initially. This is because DigiWeb actually has to pay Eircom to transfer the line, or something.

Disclaimer: I have not read up on this for probably a year now, so some of my information may be out of date or incorrect by now. But I think it is still accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I just bought a house, it already has a broadband connection.

Is there any restriction on me changing provider?
    Presumably you're talking about DSL (over the phone line) and the existing BB connection is in the previous owners name.
    If thats the case, the previous owner will have to cancel it. If they are still within contract they will have to pay some sort of termination charge.
    If they want to bring their phone number with them to their new abode then this will probably happen anyway. The phone line and account and services will be cancelled and transferred to their new address.
    Then you will have to get the line reactivated and apply for BB with who ever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I think I'm talking about DSL, which is in the name of the still current just about owner( sale should be finialised shortly).

I didn;t thnk that the'd want to bring the number( I'm still old school really). I'll have to ask them.

Cheers for the help

Advertisement