Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

K&N 57i Gen2 Induction Kit

Options
  • 24-02-2006 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me were i can but one of these babys online
    from a Irish website?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

ricey wrote:
    from a Irish website?

Emotionautostyling.com - Speak to Ronan and tell him Martin with the ibiza sent ya.

He doesn't have a K&N 57i listed but he can get them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya i just took one off ebay but thanks anyway mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Prepare to lose a few BHP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

JohnCleary wrote:
    Prepare to lose a few BHP :)
    you takin the piss? he wont lose BHP :confused:

PjC wrote:
    you takin the piss? he wont lose BHP :confused:

Certainly NOT taking the piss.
    A badly mounted induction kit will lose you BHP and top-end speed on an NA car (Turbos are a different story, as the aiey goes through an intercooler). Generally, open cone filters are fitted close to the inlet manifold, hence close to the engine. Engines dispense a vast amount of heat.

Hot air = Less dense = Less oxygen = Less performance

An open cone thats fitted away from the engine and has a good cold air feed *might* add an extra 1BHP, but a badly mounted one will lose you more BHP. (Dyno sheets to prove!)

I would recommend a K&N/ITG/Pipercross panel filter. They use the OE airbox and cold air feed, but are made of different material (Same material as an open cone). While again you may not benefit from it in BHP, it is the most economical choice as they only cost a few quid more than an OE filter, but last much, much longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

JohnCleary wrote:
    I would recommend a K&N/ITG/Pipercross panel filter.

I would think some of the attraction of an induction kit is the noise it makes compared to the panel filter, even though imo the panel filter makes more sence (direct cold air intake)

ando wrote:
    I would think some of the attraction of an induction kit is the noise it makes compared to the panel filter, even though imo the panel filter makes more sence (direct cold air intake)

Fair point, the open dones to give a bit of a roar when the throttle body is opened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

http://www.extremeautoaccessories.co.uk/ These guys sell them, they're up the North......
    I have one installed in my car and do not notice any difference in performance, just a few more decibels when I floor the accelerator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

JohnCleary wrote:
    A badly mounted induction kit will lose you BHP and top-end speed on an NA car (Turbos are a different story, as the aiey goes through an intercooler). Generally, open cone filters are fitted close to the inlet manifold, hence close to the engine. Engines dispense a vast amount of heat.

Hot air = Less dense = Less oxygen = Less performance

An open cone thats fitted away from the engine and has a good cold air feed *might* add an extra 1BHP, but a badly mounted one will lose you more BHP. (Dyno sheets to prove!)

I would recommend a K&N/ITG/Pipercross panel filter. They use the OE airbox and cold air feed, but are made of different material (Same material as an open cone). While again you may not benefit from it in BHP, it is the most economical choice as they only cost a few quid more than an OE filter, but last much, much longer

yea yea yea i kno all that, im not new to all this ;) but he wont lose BHP! Mite not gain any if its not mounted properly. I agree its a bad choice but each to their own. The pipercross black mamba (correct me if im wrong) are a great kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Whats the best one to use with a supercharged engine? panel or cone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JohnCleary wrote:

The only issue with Dyno Sheets for this sort of thing is they all use different Ventilation systems in the test area. Some may or may not replicate the amount of airflow a car has at its disposal when travelling at high speed as well as somewhere to vent exhaust.

All decent Induction Kits have much bigger air hoses than panel filters and give you the flexability to mount the hose in a better position. In my case the hose is mounted in a Vent area in the body kit, nearly flush to the face of the car. The hose itself is at least 30% bigger then the Air Panel air feed pipe as doesnt have sharp angles to reduce flow. It then pushes more air (which itself is cold as its direct from outside) to the bottom of the cone filter.

The question is of course, does the Cone Filter "suck" more air than the Air Hose provides, which would mean it would be sucking it from the engine bay..

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

PjC wrote:
    yea yea yea i kno all that, im not new to all this ;) but he wont lose BHP! Mite not gain any if its not mounted properly. I agree its a bad choice but each to their own. The pipercross black mamba (correct me if im wrong) are a great kit

Unless it's mounted down in the front and shielded from the engine you will lose hp. I wouldn't bother with it since you'll only suck in more particles and not gain anything but the noise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thefastlane.ie

ricey wrote:
    from a Irish website?
    Hey,

Try www.thefastlane.ie

You can send a request giving your car info and I'll get you a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

is there anywhere that sells the tubing for induction kits for making a custom one?

Like extending your 57i down near the front grille to avoid pulling in hot air from engine bay

Advertisement