Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

x1600pro or 6800xt

Options
  • 24-02-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Well i am getting a new rig come march and have been tinkering over gfx cards, so god damn many.

It has really come down to these few cards.

x1600pro
    6800xt
    6600gt

I need to know which is a good card, but not to fluctuate my prices up. I think id like something i nthe 6800 range so whats a good one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 6800XT is small bit faster in most current games than the X1600 XT but in "shader heavy" games [think FEAR] and similar future games the X1600 XT does better.

NVIDIA are about to bring out a replacement next month (at CeBit) for the 6600GT called the 7600GT so it might be worth holding off till it comes out and see how it performs against the X1600 XT.

Edit: Whoops noticied you say the X1600 Pro well thats generally slower than the 6600GT and 6800XT so the choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well im glad someone replied :rolleyes: I think I'm going to hit the 6800xt. Seems to be running better than the x1600pro.

See wher eim buying the pc you get a basic package then you can upgrade what you want in it, at the moment my price for my pc is at 800 euro. So the 7600gt will probably pump that price up further no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 7600gt (when it comes out) would probably be worth it, though.

well it so seems im getting the 6800xt in sli , so two of them =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Unless you're getting those very cheap I would seriously wait and see what the 7600GT offers as NVIDIA are doing a hard launch on the 8th of March (allegedly) and the price will be around €190 for a 256MB 7600GT card, while SLI can be a useful option in certain circumstances in others a single GPU can out perform two GPU's which don't have the same sort of muscle.

Remember the 6800XT is only very marginally faster the X1600XT in non-shader heavy games and NV will be wanting to aim for performance better than ATI's part with the 7600 GT and it should easily go past the 6800XT if that's the case.

• Advertisement

well one 6800xt coming with my pc, and sure i can get another in america for 80 euro, so im wondering.........

From what ive already gathered two 6800's will surpass the 7800 model, and i say xt i think its actuallyg t im getting, the good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Make sure they're both GT's then! ;)

damn nvidia putting me i ntwo minds, gna wait for the 7600gt to come out and see what its like. It is gna push my base package price up tho, guess it might be worth it, no doubt it will be better then a 6800xt (it is xt)

Advertisement