Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The speed is gone

• 24-02-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on a 2Mb package with BT but my connection speed doesn't seem to match up to what I'd expect from a package like that. I've been with them 18 months now and after the recent upgrade the speed was great but it dropped back to 1Mb levels a few days afterwards. It's been the same since and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've been running tests at irishisptest.com and got the following results:

22 Feb - 504 (up) 189 (down), 601 170, 923 171, 993 141
    Today - 387 145, 1.14Mb 175, 83 167, 877 141

The latest run through gave me this (today @ 12pm):
    irishisptest.jpg

I'm using the bog standard Zyxel p623r-t1 and the config shows the downstream @ 2048 and upstream @ 256. The downstream noise margin reports a figure of 21% which should be OK. My connection point is upstairs whereas the primary phone point is downstairs but has a filter connected to it for the cordless phone.

Should I be expecting better from the connection? I'm considering going with NTL if I'm not getting the proper speeds. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

anthonymcg wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm on a 2Mb package with BT but my connection speed doesn't seem to match up to what I'd expect from a package like that. I've been with them 18 months now and after the recent upgrade the speed was great but it dropped back to 1Mb levels a few days afterwards. It's been the same since and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've been running tests at irishisptest.com and got the following results:

22 Feb - 504 (up) 189 (down), 601 170, 923 171, 993 141
    Today - 387 145, 1.14Mb 175, 83 167, 877 141

The latest run through gave me this (today @ 12pm):
    irishisptest.jpg

I'm using the bog standard Zyxel p623r-t1 and the config shows the downstream @ 2048 and upstream @ 256. The downstream noise margin reports a figure of 21% which should be OK. My connection point is upstairs whereas the primary phone point is downstairs but has a filter connected to it for the cordless phone.

Should I be expecting better from the connection? I'm considering going with NTL if I'm not getting the proper speeds. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

what have thier C/S said?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive said it before and ill say it again,dont trust that ip test.
    I download @ 330 kbps from any decent servers in Uk yet that test shows similar speeds to yours.
    There was a time when it was pretty accurate but it is not anymore.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

anthonymcg wrote:

BT use RADSL, which means Rate Adaptive DSL, which basically means if you have a bad quality line or far from the exchange, then the speed will drop to a lower speed.

It is a really good idea to go with NTL, it is much more stable and consistent then DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Drapper wrote:
    what have thier C/S said?

Was just on to them and they said because the 21% line noise figure it's knocking off 200Kb straight away. They've advised that I plug out the home phone to see if it's causing a lot of the noise which I'm doing at the moment.
    Dcully wrote:
    I download @ 330 kbps from any decent servers in Uk yet that test shows similar speeds to yours.

Want to give me the address of those files and I'll see what speed I'm getting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Pretty much anything on www.gamershell.com gives me 330kbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

anthony, just remember that on a 2mb line, yours should be around 225kbs or so, taking into account overheads and things like that.

try downloading the following file and see what you get, llet it download for about a mniute or 2 to allow the speed to settle...

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/trustix/releases/trustix-2.2/iso/trustix-2.2-200602091557.src.iso

and i btw, i get the same thing with irishisptest, the d/l speed starts off were it should be around 2.7mb, but then when the progress bar is nearly finished, it drops rapidly down. i can still download constantly at the speed i should be getting, from other sites though, so there's definitely something amiss with irishisptest i think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Anto,

Logon to irish isp test again, it'll log the kbps speed and show a summary in brackets on the 'view results' page which will indicate your KB/s speed. This IMO is actually pretty accurate as I've tested both my 4mbit line in work and my 3mbit line at home and I get decent results.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shaneward2004

Ive got the bb plus option from Esat! which is 3mb from the upgrade!

ive had it a year now and at the 2mb its was perfect downloading at 220 kb/s every day for a year! i had the 3megs and for 2 days it was running at 310 kb/s. now for the past 3 weeks im gettin a 1mb connection and worse:eek: and i dont have a clue what the problem is.. Heres some evidence:

snap06953dr.jpg

snap07000vx.jpg

Advertisement