Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools LE vrs Everything else

Options
  • 24-02-2006 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Ok, you've all probably had this debate before. I recently bought a Digi002 Rack. I studied pro tools so I decided to buy version 7 LE. What do you think of it compared with Cubase SX, Ableton Live, Cool Edit, Logic, etc... Would you recommend a better audio recording and editing suite?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

tbh mate it all comes down to personal opinion and what you need it to do.. like cubase is better at pro tools than somethings etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

What is cubase better at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It handles MIDI a lot better. Basically, its very good for electronic type stuff with synths and syncing and stuff like that.

Oh, I'm not really into electronic music as much as band recordings. I think I'll stick with Pro Tools for now. If I get a mac I might change to Logic, I think it's a great piece of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I use Cubase SX 3. It's an outstanding app. Takes time to learn the ropes but the power and flexibility is great.

I primarily work in MIDI but it's a fully fledged audio recording studio as well. I remember watching a documentary on the making of the Joshua Tree and they were using Cubase in the studio to adjust the mixes and levels as they were walking through and discussing the master tracks.

I can't comment on Pro Tools as I've never used it but I think it's much of a muchness - go with what you're comfortable with and what gets you results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Pro Tools is "the" standard for audio recording for professionals. I've used pro tools, logic, ableton live and cubase sx and they all do pretty much the same thing but in different ways. If you are doing just audio recording and production i'd recommend pro tools. If you are doing any bit of MIDI or other electronica get cubase or logic. If you want to do any laptop DJing ableton live would be the best. Cubase or logic would be the best all-rounders i guess, but logic is not available for PC anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

gonna be a bit controversial here and say that there is simply no match between cubase and protools. Protools is infinitely better for everything.

Protools is slightly more complicated than cubase for midi, but is far more versatile and interesting once you get your head around it.

Personally i think running protools with reason or ableton live is absolutely deadly if you want to go down that route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

One of the biggest advantage of pro tools is that it is pretty much in any decent professional recording studio and has become a bit of standard. So it means you can go from studio to studio with your mixes no problem.

dabhoys wrote:
    One of the biggest advantage of pro tools is that it is pretty much in any decent professional recording studio and has become a bit of standard. So it means you can go from studio to studio with your mixes no problem.

That's what I like about Pro Tools. Most studio's use it. BTW does anybody know of any software that can convert a qubase session file to a Pro Tools Session file, is it possible? Because I have a few old sessions from SX1 I want to remix in Pro Tools, it would save me importing all the sepereate tracks and re-orgainsing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i sincerely doubt there is such a program. could be wrong though. good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

QuadLeo wrote:
    That's what I like about Pro Tools. Most studio's use it. BTW does anybody know of any software that can convert a qubase session file to a Pro Tools Session file, is it possible? Because I have a few old sessions from SX1 I want to remix in Pro Tools, it would save me importing all the sepereate tracks and re-orgainsing them.

There is no programs that I'm aware of but you could always export your audio fliles and MIDI files and they import them into Pro Tools. Would be time cosuming though.

Advertisement