Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying and College.

Options
  • 24-02-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just wondering, how much everyone here studies, 1 Hour a day, maybe 4 hours a day, anyway just thought it would be helpful for people to know how much people are studying and for what course. And how do people study during your time studying.

For me, well, I'd like to do Diagnostic Radiography in UCD so I need 500 points or there abouts. I study around 3-4 hours during the week and 10 hours at the weekend and I'm only in 5th year.

As for studying, I would have my 300 page Spiral Refill Pad and book and summarize in my own words as much as I can a chapter, but not a regular summary like end of chapter smmaries, I would summarise the chapter(s), into a few pages of refill neatly with diagrams if necessary and store these notes into a folder. Then I would re-read the next day all my notes that I wrote when I'm finished the book and re-read for te next week because it only takes a few minutes.

In a summary:
    1. I would re-write the main points I'm supposed to know onto refill sheets out of the book.

2. I would summarize the entire book eg. Biology, into say 20 pages+ front and back with diagrams.

3. When I'm finished with the book, I re-read for a week or two the notes.

4. The re-read the notes week after week thus remembering the notes.

This is the way I study, but I'd like to know how others study, what yu are studying for and for how long. Especially the medical or 500+ students as they would probably do more work than anyone like under 400 points.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

5th years for drinking, lighten up, remember you're not gonna remember any most of the study you did in 5th year during the leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

you're gonna be wrecked by 6th year.. i seriosuly say take it easy now.. next year will be horrible for you're already doing 10hrs studying at weekends!

fair play to ya like, but i would'ne have done that last year

im aiming for about 500 i guess, but i hopefully wont need that many, and i doubt i'll get quite that high. i want to do journalism, which was 455 last year, but had been higher in previous years.

exam papers are the key to my revision, i choose a topic.. revise it, then flick though exam papers and find all teh questions that came up on them. the repetition is so clear, and that way you know what aspect you're likely to be asked on.

i dont see the point of writing out summaries of chapters, i did it in the past and found it a waste of time.

history essays, i do those spider graph thingymabobs, with the title in the middle, and say, 5 separates points coming out, for each paragraph, with a few details.
    much more effective than just writing out summaries of chapters, zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

but whatever works for you..

im not speanding a lot of time studying, at weekends i'd do about 4 hrs maybe, if even. and during the weekend i focus on homework.
    things might change for the last few weeks though
    (12 school weeks left! + 2 weeks easter holidays... + about 3 weeks of exams.... = 17 weeks in total.... *dances*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I would chill out a bit in fifth year. You're gonna get wrecked adn have to do it again next yeah anyway. I was the exact same. I do about four hours at the weekend and a little more during the week. I'm in 6th year and hoping for 550ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Im aiming for 600 of course! Why aim any lower?? :P

My course in UL is 310 points, but I need a B2 in Maths, if I dont get that I need 300 points for UCC. So if I get 350 I will be grand.

I spend about a hour a day stuyding, then about 4 hours at the weekend. Im not badly at school, Im not failing anything. I dont see why I should push myself when I dont need many points..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

exiot wrote:
    Im aiming for 600 of course! Why aim any lower?? :P

My course in UL is 310 points, but I need a B2 in Maths, if I dont get that I need 300 points for UCC. So if I get 350 I will be grand.

I spend about a hour a day stuyding, then about 4 hours at the weekend. Im not badly at school, Im not failing anything. I dont see why I should push myself when I dont need many points..
    Nicely put in more ways than one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

Calm down ladeen, life is for living. I dint do a tap in 5th year, i spent it drinkin, smoking( and trippin;) ) and other such dabouchery :cool:
    I didnt do a whloe pile toward the start of this year either. Ive started doing a bit recently and im getting on sound. I know im capeable of 500 points or so but i dont need that and im not going to kill myself just to look smart. I intend to do very well and study hard the subjects my course in college/ job will contain alot of(engineering, so phischem, maths and technical graphics). Its all about smart studying not hours on end of monotonous crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

blahblah1234 you're in 5th year and your doing more study than the 6th years! Calm down will ya, plenty of time to get through everything in 6th year. Go out and half a laugh with your friends!

And may I ask you, why were you so concered in another topic about finding out the marking scheme for the Geography paper if you are only in 5th year?! By this time next year everything will be crystal clear about that new course, we're the ones that have to worry about that not you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

You do more study than I do...Almost double what I do onm weekends and I'm in 6th year...there is studying to much you know?Fifth year is for enjoying yourself,just like 2nd year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

blahblah1234, I have to say I admire your dedication! Wow! But at the same time I think you need to take a break and not be going as intense as you are since you're just in fifth year. If you only do half what you're doing now you'll without doubt get the points you want. Well done to you but give yourself a break too! Enjoy freedom while you can in 5th year. It's horrible in 6th year now with the imprending doom of the LC!

I study about 2 and half hours every week night and that's after I do about hour of written hw. The weekend I do about 4 hours on sat and 2 hours sunday. I need 470 points to do primary teaching and a C3 in hons irish but I think I should be able to get that with my current study. I hope!

Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

just do homework and nothing else. use cram tactics for exams. it works.

i'll get 400-500 in the leaving thanks to my relaxed nature. not bad for doing no study. it's a big waste of time imo. im now extremely complacent after the pre's as i know ive passed everything and now im going to sit back and put my feet up for 3 or 4 months.

• Advertisement

i think everyones comment here has been sensible apart from smemons..

"it's a big waste of time imo" - damn it you're such an ass sometimes boy...
    i dont think studying is a big waste of time.. but over-studying is UNNECESSARY in 5th year definitely..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

smemon wrote:
    just do homework and nothing else. use cram tactics for exams. it works.

i'll get 400-500 in the leaving thanks to my relaxed nature. not bad for doing no study. it's a big waste of time imo. im now extremely complacent after the pre's as i know ive passed everything and now im going to sit back and put my feet up for 3 or 4 months.

yey!!someone who sounds like me!!:D
    seriously ur better off!
    did my leaving cert last yr tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ah there's still loads of time left to be worrying about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

wow 450 500?..... Im going for 250 here lol. 5th year for me was time to relax. Im hopeing to pass in general is good start for me. Im planning to go to ITB. So going by last years points it isnt much of a strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

Yeah no offence smemon but i think youve got your head up your arse. 500 points takes serious dedication and study for the whole of 6th year at least, that is unless your extremely gifted. I havent killed myself in the past yeah, but for the last 2-3 months ive been doin a nice bit and from now on i really need to put my head in the books. Anybody that thinks you can get a good leaving with little or no study is an arrogant, cocky..... and will know all about it when there back repeating

amistyfog wrote:
    Yeah no offence smemon but i think youve got your head up your arse. 500 points takes serious dedication and study for the whole of 6th year at least, that is unless yuour extremely gifted. I havent killed myself in the past yeah, but for the las 2-3 months ive been doin a nice bit and from now on i really need to put my head in the books. Anybody that thinks you can get a good leaving with little or no study is an arrogant, cocky..... and will know all about it when there back repeating

trust me, arguing with smemon's arrogance isn't worth the energy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Rockerette wrote:
    trust me, arguing with smemon's arrogance isn't worth the energy....

Yeah trust Rockerette! She's had this whole debate/arguement with smemon on this board before...

Smemon come on! 400-500 without study - no chance.

Advertisement