Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sending a picture to a phone

• 24-02-2006 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

I have an application which modifies documents and outputs them in a number of formats. I want to send the output file to a mobile device. I have a couple of questions. What is the best format to save the file? i.e. jpeg? gif? etc...What is the best way to send the file to the mobile device?

As an aside, are there any websites that will allow me to submit a picture to it and send that file onto a mobile device?

Thanks in advance.

Hobart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hobart wrote:
    I have an application which modifies documents and outputs them in a number of formats. I want to send the output file to a mobile device. I have a couple of questions. What is the best format to save the file? i.e. jpeg? gif? etc...What is the best way to send the file to the mobile device?

As an aside, are there any websites that will allow me to submit a picture to it and send that file onto a mobile device?

Thanks in advance.

Hobart.

jpeg or gif are fine. jpeg is the standard. gifs are mostly used for animations. you can send the pics to the phone by:
    bluetooth
    infra red
    data cable
    or
    upload the picture anywhere on the net and go to the address of the pic in the phones gprs browser

eg you could submit a reply on this thread and attach the picture, then go to the address in the phones browser. it'll cost 1 to 3c a kb depending on your network tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thanks for that Commander. Is there any way I can send the picture directly to the phone via IP or SMTP without having to get the phone to browse to the picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

^ "upload the picture anywhere on the net and go to the address of the pic in the phones gprs browser"

As CV said: Host it somewhere (there are free hosts..)- then pop in the address on your phones browser and it'll download. Alternatively, if you have email setup on the phone - email it to yourself and it'll be downloaded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Karoma wrote:
    ^ "upload the picture anywhere on the net and go to the address of the pic in the phones gprs browser"

As CV said: Host it somewhere (there are free hosts..)- then pop in the address on your phones browser and it'll download. Alternatively, if you have email setup on the phone - email it to yourself and it'll be downloaded...
    I'm trying to avoid having to get the phone to initiate the connection to the net. I want the picture to be pushed to the phone as opposed to the phone pulling the picture.

Advertisement