Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

log-in gone AWOL

• 24-02-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

I've been given a little belter of a problem to sort out. My GF's laptop apparently seems to have spontaneously lost or changed her log on password. I've tried it myself a load of times and she's not wrong. The old password is gone. I can find plenty of password recovery programs that work when you're actually inside Windows XP - e.g. to recover your document or application passwords - but that's not a lot of use when you're still at the log-in screen.

I've tried the safe mode mallarkey - I've even got as far as getting both the username and administrator log ins on the same page - but then when it asks me for a password and I'm back to square one, standing outside at the front door.

Someone suggested going into BIOS set up - which I'm game for even if I don't know what it means - but that's also password protected and my GF has no idea what it is or why should there be one.

Anyone any ideas? I haven't got a XP CD to boot up from so basically it's whatever I can do in terms of what mode I start in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    pop it on to a disc or diskette
    Boot up with it in the drive
    Follow the menu/instructions - and blank the Windows password.

The fact that you couldn't boot from the XP CD may suggest that the machine is not set to boot from CD ... Post back if this disk/attempt doesn't load (With make/model of machine & BIOS version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Right first time! Won't boot up from the CD. It's an Acer Aspire 5512WLMi running Windows XP Pro. As far as the BIOS version, the setup utility screen it gives me just says 'PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility' and asks me to enter a password. At which point I'm back to square one. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

So, there's a BIOS password on it...
    uh...huhh.... So, she doesn't know the Windows or BIOS passwords.
    </dodgy>

If you can access the CMOS battery-you may be able to remove it (for ~30mins), and clear the BIOS battery... The manual or manufacturers website may provide more information (...unless...they spontaneously combust?) or google How To bypass the (phenoix)BIOS.

If it's a college or company machine (Or some genuine reason that would lead to these circumstances)- then get the IT department to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This may sound daft, but if you can get to the administrator log on, try it sans password. Usually when people install XP they skip straight through the admin section and leave the password blank!

Advertisement