Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Question Newbie

• 24-02-2006 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Ok so me and my mate live in south dublin. Our houses are less than 500meters apart.

We want to be able to connect to each other wirelessly, can anyone help out re: advice and equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is there a clear line of sight? (i.e. A clear path from your house to his? The roof perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

need to check but do I need LOS for less that 500meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Two thick walls can kill a wireless network signal in less than 10m. With LOS you should get around 100m using the supplied onboard antennas, or tens of kilometers with very high gain directional antennas.

With LOS, for a reliable 500m link you'll likely need to mount an outdoor directional antenna at least at one end and probably both ends of the link.

For non-LOS, you *might* be able to punch through some obstructions (depending on what they are), by using high gain outdoor directional antennas at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

OK Assuming we can see LOS can someone recommend some decent kit for me and my mate to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Heres the fun bit

Yes you can is the short answer. But its not as easy as it may sound

- Use two lynksys WRT54Gs http://openwrt.org/
    The reason for this is the timeing starts to break down over distance.
    Next problem is antennas wont do the job ull need a directional antenna of some type http://www.stelladoradus.com/2.4.ghz.parabolic.antennas.php

This all requires a bit of soldering crimping and linux work

have a look at irishwan.org

Depending on ur LOS you may get away with more or less. You will need to mount them outside in a waterproff box.

there are other options www.routerboard.com comes pre packed with an os. Still have to do work and is more expensive

pm me if u need a hand im living in Dublin at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I am 350m LOS from a firend I want to set up a connection with.

Does one of us have to be set up as an access point?

Will there be an issue if one of us uses Mac hardware and the other PC hardware.

We already have wireless BB Routers, so all we need to get directional Antenae? Right?

Cheers - Sub

Advertisement