Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New President.

Options
  • 24-02-2006 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Who is everyone going to vote for : Haydn or Ní Theasaigh (however you spell it). I can't decide. Haydn is probably the best candidate, but Orla(that i can spell;) ) also has good ideas, experience and is pretty.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Orla Ní Threasaigh ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ya forgot to mention that other tool...

Dan ftw he's sound out, experienced, knows what he's doing, well respected and he's just cool! Ni Threasaigh isnt experienced enough and doesnt seem to have realistic plans to put promises into action. She'll poll well though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Oubliette

Dan's the man !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ni Threasaigh for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Orla Ní Threasaigh = HAWT.

But I won't be voting for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

if I wasn't going to be on another continent during the election, I'd go for Hayden. hopefully I'll be able to bully my other half into voting for him instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

probably the only time i'll ever endorse bullying...go for it Rain On :p

Oh yeah Dans a carlow man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yeah Dan has my Vote too. Looks like hes going to go and walk this erection election

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

im voting for Enda Duffy... you know "the other candidate" the one who gives you cheap coffee; all three candidates are talking about the rip-off campus and only one has actually done anything about, he's one who worked activly on the grants campaign and the modularisation campaign, meaning a second year arts and law students dont have to endure this debackle. The guy is top notch. remember the students union exists because the university doesnt always [lets be honest NEVER] have the students best interests at heart.

Duffy's the man

try remembering anything dan hayden has done as Welfare officer, part from free condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i mean Enda... im voting for Enda..

I am voting ov my own free will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

dan is too nice to be in a position where it is necessary to stand up to the college authorites, think he will just buckle!!
    enda all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Dan. i know him through friends. a sound man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

im voting for Enda Duffy... you know "the other candidate" the one who gives you cheap coffee; all three candidates are talking about the rip-off campus and only one has actually done anything about, he's one who worked activly on the grants campaign and the modularisation campaign, meaning a second year arts and law students dont have to endure this debackle. The guy is top notch. remember the students union exists because the university doesnt always [lets be honest NEVER] have the students best interests at heart.

Duffy's the man
    try remembering anything dan hayden has done as Welfare officer, part from free condoms.
    Concur. He's actually a much shrewder political operator than most students give him credit for, which will probably kill 'im in the election. He's a top bloke, an idealist and one who's prepared to work his ass off to realise those ideals.

If there were more students like Enda, I wouldn't be so fcuking glad that I'm leaving this godawful place in 2 months...

Oh, and RON is my #2 (yaaay, I finally worked out the PR-STV system!!!:o )

Dan's the man. Known him a while and he will do good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I didn't mention Duffy because there is no way i am voting for him, because:
    1. He has played down his role in Labour youth (I only today found out he was auditor) to gain votes.
    2. He is an active member of Labour Youth and I don't believe the president should use the union for political goals. Lets face it if he gets in the SU is going to endorse every Labour rally and campaign.
    3.I think he is a careerist.
    4. He makes my skin crawl.
    5. I think that he is so desperate after losing last time that he will promise anything to get in.
    6. I think (like 2.) that he will campaign on things that are no business of the SU.

*Sigh* The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since departed, hasn't he, Firespinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

SebtheBum wrote:
    Concur. He's actually a much shrewder political operator than most students give him credit for, which will probably kill 'im in the election. He's a top bloke, an idealist and one who's prepared to work his ass off to realise those ideals.

If there were more students like Enda, I wouldn't be so fcuking glad that I'm leaving this godawful place in 2 months...

Oh, and RON is my #2 (yaaay, I finally worked out the PR-STV system!!!:o )

Ha-enda a shrewd political operater!hmmm thats why he beat dave c last year??:confused:

Enda was chosen to stand for election cos he's the best of a bad bunch of the hardcore left still left in UCD.They had no one else to run so had to go with Enda and believe me he's no paul dillon.Paul dillon had charisma,personality,focus and didnt back down on his princiles.We can already see how Enda has toned down his lack of involvment with labour saying he's merely a 'member' and how suddenly he's all pally with USI.

His rip-off campaign as I have stated numerous times is a platform for this presedential election.As I said if he REALLY REALLY wanted to go about ending the rip off he would have listened to us fair trade campaigners in finding out facts and figures about what the cheapest option availavle and present it to the managers etc.

If you only want to see Dans experience then just read the back of his manifesto.He is not one to stand out side the arts block hollering at anyone who will listen to get attention.He's actually done some decent,hard slog work and found out information about bulk buying to end the rip-off.REAL answers!

Also Dan has converted the much in crisis creche to a non profit organisation and with 40 or so extra places.
    Enda Duffys solution to the crech problem would be to placard and protest outside the creche.Would this have changed anything?NO
    Would he have got publicity?YES

Dans' solution to the solution:work hard with the parents and college authorities in finding a solution to the creche problem.
    Did this work?YES
    Did he get publicity for this?NO

Case proven!! Vote Dan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

This thread is crying out for a poll which gives you a choice between ''a giant douche'' or ''turd sandwich''!!!! C'mon mods.... ADD IT!
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Orla Ní Threasaigh = HAWT.

That motion is seconded by me my friend....

Orla

in comparison to her contenders

Dan

Enda

we all know who's lads choice!!! ;)

Anyways, seriously Dan seems to me to be the best of a not so great bunch.

I don't know Dan but I've only heard good things about him and from what I see he's the candidate who I feel I can put more trust in. His and Enda's manifesto's both look good but personally I do has reservations about Enda as a president even though I feel he has more charisma over Dan which is alwayas badly needed for a SU president. I haven't seen Orla's manifesto so I'll give her a chance with regards to that but maybe the lack of SU experience and knowhow may be to her detriment.

Dave for Vice again. No one should be voting for RON tbh.

I'm split between Education.... both candidates I reckon would make very good officers.

I'm also split between welfare.... I haven't seen either of their manifesto's so I can't really give much insight to them.

I don't have f**kin' clue who I'm gonna choose between the 500 million students running for Ents.

Remember kids.... vote or DIE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This photo should be made freely available around campus.......

I'm split between Education.... both candidates I reckon would make very good officers.

I'm also split between welfare.... I haven't seen either of their manifesto's so I can't really give much insight to them.

I don't have f**kin' clue who I'm gonna choose between the 500 million students running for Ents.

Don't care about Ents.
    Welfare, think i'll vote for michelle. She is also in Labour Youth but she strikes me as someone who can get past that and look for the greater SU, so I wouldn't hold that against her. She impressed me in person.
    Education, probably the dude but its close. The girl seems well meaning but every time she speaks i just hear "squeak, squeak, squeak....". I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I'll be voting for everything except president on the flip of a coin.
    I've made my mind up for president.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

panda100 wrote:
    Ha-enda a shrewd political operater!hmmm thats why he beat dave c last year??:confused:

We can already see how Enda has toned down his lack of involvment with labour saying he's merely a 'member' and how suddenly he's all pally with USI.

His rip-off campaign as I have stated numerous times is a platform for this presedential election.As I said if he REALLY REALLY wanted to go about ending the rip off he would have listened to us fair trade campaigners in finding out facts and figures about what the cheapest option availavle and present it to the managers etc.

Correct me if i'm wrong here but by all accounts DC broke the labour-no-campaigning-pact at the last minute last year which helped him win by a small margin.

As for the Rip off campaign Enda has been doing that since the start of the academic year, so it's a bit rich to say it's purely a presidential-campaign tool. Dan Hayden hopped aboard that campaign not so long ago...so don't give us that lol!! :p

I could go on but I'm knackered. It's all a bit too serious for it's own good tbh. I'll probably end up picking Enda over Dan, both are nice guys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I don't care. I'm going to sell my vote like I did last year. I'll vote for whoever gives me the most money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Education, probably the dude but its close. The girl seems well meaning but every time she speaks i just hear "squeak, squeak, squeak....". I don't know why.

I have a high pitched voice. It isn't something I can help :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Correct me if i'm wrong here but by all accounts DC broke the labour-no-campaigning-pact at the last minute last year which helped him win by a small margin.

As for the Rip off campaign Enda has been doing that since the start of the academic year, so it's a bit rich to say it's purely a presidential-campaign tool. Dan Hayden hopped aboard that campaign not so long ago...so don't give us that lol!! :p

I could go on but I'm knackered. It's all a bit too serious for it's own good tbh. I'll probably end up picking Enda over Dan, both are nice guys though.

You make absolutely no argument against me young siward so I wish you had gone on.....
    All Enda has going for him is the end the rip off campaign,which he's been been struggling with since the beginning of the year.As I have stated previously numerous times the fair trade campaign started after Enda started his end the rip off campaign and we got results quicker!Enda and his campaigns has the pace of a very slow slug taking the scenic route.He makes a lot of noise but gets no results!
    Dan solved the creche problem within 2months!
    Dan is the better candidate cos he gets results quickly and efficiently.

Give me an example of Enda duffy actually effectively changing something on campus and I'l listen to your argument,young siward.

I like Orla too but in alll fairness being an Irish languauge officer,just like the womens officer really doesnt give you any experince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 student-type

If you only want to see Dans experience then just read the back of his manifesto.He is not one to stand out side the arts block hollering at anyone who will listen to get attention.He's actually done some decent,hard slog work and found out information about bulk buying to end the rip-off.REAL answers!

Also Dan has converted the much in crisis creche to a non profit organisation and with 40 or so extra places.
    Enda Duffys solution to the crech problem would be to placard and protest outside the creche.Would this have changed anything?NO
    Would he have got publicity?YES

Dans' solution to the solution:work hard with the parents and college authorities in finding a solution to the creche problem.
    Did this work?YES
    Did he get publicity for this?NO

Case proven!! Vote Dan!!
    To be honest panda (and others) you seem to be displaying a very shallow understanding of student issues, if you're still planning on running for welfare year a more critical approach to might help to you recognise some of the issues.

I fully agree with you that Dan comes across as a lovely bloke and I'm sure he was very approachable to anybody with problems during the year. He seems to care about student’s issues and I admire that.

However by turning this debate into a sort of slagging match where you just throw out claims about different candidates without backing them up or looking at the issues in detail, we're lowering the standard of debate and getting rid of the opportunity to actually inform ourselves of whets going on.

Firstly and most importantly if Dan has got great ideas to improve our union, why didn't he implement them this year as full time student union officer? If it was a lack of time then why not ask the appropriate officer to provide the service or ask the research officer to investigate if his proposals are feasible.

I think this seems particularly evident in the 'Rip off Campus campaign' where the prices of tea, hot water and food in franchises are criticised. The student union shop charges as much for hot water as the cafe in the arts block does. As an officer he had the opportunity to do more than the students who only had time to give and so helped out on the tea and coffee stall, why didn't he?

Again with bulk buying, why wasn't it brought in this year (although it seems to me the SU caters for 22'000 students, surely they already buy in bulk)? Also I'm in the SU everyday and I've never seen any signs for €3 12pack condoms.

I also seem to remember Jen Allen starting the process of the crèche negotiations, and Shane Hennelly carrying them on. Is Dan just taking credit for the work done by his predecessors?

Finally and most importantly I believe than Dan as welfare officer oversaw the introduction of a charge for the UCD medical centre in order to fund extra staff. Seriously whets the point of cheaper tea if you're bringing in charges in other vital services? Where were the campaigns for extra funding for the college? When did he ask the students if they though this was a good idea? Where is the guarantee that this charge will not be increased in the future?

I can't see how Dans record is great at all, As for Enda well he seems to have put the hours in this year on various campaigns and helped start the student co-op, I couldn't care less how ofton he mentions he's in labour and I think he deserves a chance to see if he can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Surely the charge was considered and then dismissed? I know I used the medical facilities at the beginning of this month and was never asked to pay anyone anything, apart from the pharmacist for my medication? I know it's an aside, but I feel bad if I've ripped off the medical services when the charge is implimented in order to expand the services available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Don't know enough to vote, so feel no point voting. Abstaining ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Well... you could drop by the arts block, leaf through some manifestos, quiz the candidates (or the campaign teams if they're not around), stall it to the hustings, read the Tribune and the Observer analysis, or one of the above...

The info's all out there, though, when I put it down like that it does seem like a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well... you could drop by the arts block, leaf through some manifestos, quiz the candidates (or the campaign teams if they're not around), stall it to the hustings, read the Tribune and the Observer analysis, or one of the above...

The info's all out there, though, when I put it down like that it does seem like a lot of work.

See my point?

Besides, I'm genuinely ignorant of the workings of all this, so I've no idea who I'd be voting for, nor would I know what I'm voting them into...

What percentage vote in these things anyway?

• Advertisement

Uh.... RON?

/aside: Dumbass...

Advertisement